Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinky Feet

Options
  • 31-08-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

My 5 year old gets really sweaty hands & feet. His shoes, slippers in particular stink, you walk into his room & you can smell it immediately.
    Any recommendation on a product to help with this, I don't know if adult products might be a bit strong for a 5 year old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Wash his feet daily, dry them well and rub in a bit of coconut oil. It's anti bacterial and antifungal. A few days should solve it for you. It sounds like a fungal thing, especially if He's normally a bit sweaty.
    I wouldn't go with over the counter meds. You can also spray his shoes inside with some diluted tea tree oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I remember my cousin soaking their feet in potassium permanganate to solve this problem years ago. They would have been older though, so I don't know if it would be used on a young child.
    It also stained their feet purple for a few weeks (the feet were soaked regularly, I don't know the ins and outs!), so would be best done at a time when they wouldn't be going swimming, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Talc and changing socks a couple of times a day to keep dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Try sprinkling some bread soda in his shoes and slippers, it helps take the smell away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Baking soda in the shoes and put them in the freezer overnight. It helps getting rid of odors from the shoes and slows down the bacterial growth.

Instead of slippers, try crocs or something like that which have more air going through them.

If his shoes are leather, try getting something more breathable like canvas shoes with mesh uppers to get more air circulating.

My boy went through a phase of this and changing the footwear helped alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Try get 100% cotton socks and leather shoes to allow his feet to breath. I get the same and need cotton or I get very smelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thanks all, I'm going to try the suggestions. Though I'd have a fee more years before I had to deal with a smelly boys bedroom :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'm going to try the suggestions. Though I'd have a fee more years before I had to deal with a smelly boys bedroom :o

Lol, don't worry, girls also stink. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

Peppermint tea with a few drops of tea tree and soak his feet.
    My daughter used to get super sweaty feet when she was about 5/6. I soaked her feet and mine once or twice a week it worked and made her feel special rather than smelly/dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Fill a basin with warm water and pop in a cup of raw organic apple cider vinegar and some baking soda
    both kill bacteria really good, make sure his feet are bone dry(most important part) and rub then some tea tree oil afterwards...

Also try rotating his shoes every day or so and you can and sprinkle a bit of baking soda in each pair!

• Advertisement
Advertisement