Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Del007 wrote: »
    I got my letter earlier this week.

I'll probably go to Sky for 30 euro per month. That's a saving of 180 for 12 months

This!

What is the correct process of cancelling? Organise sky first then cancel? Or cancel first?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I rang them and said i want to cancel, simple question to who will i go and i said sky or V - no more questions.Return modem etc. to address they will send and that it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Del007

First of all, don't cancel your broadband with Eir. Get the company that you sign up with to do it. If you ask Eir to cancel your broadband then it'll take ages to get activated again and a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

As poster said above. Just say your switching and ask for UAN which you give to new provider. Did it this morning despite the hassle they gave me yesterday. So I have 30 days to switch and if i dont line goes inactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

callaway92 wrote: »
    This is just out of curiosity more than anything else, but if you have a contract for mobile which was with Meteor (now Eir), is the changeover of provider grounds for being able to get out of the contract?

I'd assume not since there's no actual changes in price etc. but it's just a question that popped into my head really.

Alas no. I am with Meteor and could only get family eir mobile nos cancelled as Meteor unaffected by price increase.

• Advertisement

First of all, don't cancel your broadband with Eir. Get the company that you sign up with to do it. If you ask Eir to cancel your broadband then it'll take ages to get activated again and a lot of hassle

But do you not need to give notice to Eir before you leave still?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

loki7777 wrote: »
    I rang them and said i want to cancel, simple question to who will i go and i said sky or V - no more questions.Return modem etc. to address they will send and that it.

I cancel on the phone also but they never mentioned returning the Eir boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

callaway92 wrote: »
    This is just out of curiosity more than anything else, but if you have a contract for mobile which was with Meteor (now Eir), is the changeover of provider grounds for being able to get out of the contract?

I'd assume not since there's no actual changes in price etc. but it's just a question that popped into my head really.

Technically the company is still registered as Meteor. They just rebranded it so you contract is still with 'Meteor'. It is only a cosmetic change unfortunately. If you look at your bill it should say somewhere on it that eir mobile is only a trading name of Meteor Mobile Communications or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Took me months to get away from eir,did everything right,proper notice etc, kept a copy of the price increase letter etc, requested that the modem be returned, customer care agreed all was in order,yet I was on boards,and phone,and online live with them for months trying to get away,no one could understand why,I spoke to at least 30 plus so called customer care ppl, mentioned com reg,and hey presto, they eventually found problem,modem wasn't returned, although I was told that eir would send a courier,I posted myself,and a few weeks later freedom,,,,,,most inept shower on god's earth, mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Eir keep playing this line. Yet can't explain it when asked by anyone. "If you are still within your minimum term contract, the end date of your minimum term will stay the same" My situation is I've 14 months left and they refuse to allow me exit even after quoting my rights they just say NO...

• Advertisement

I have swapped over to sky broad band (300 euro saving over the 12 months!).

Sky told me not to give notice to EIR as they would would put a cancellation on the line and SKY would then be not able to take it over. They said my notice period is automatic when EIR get the request from SKY to take over the line.

Does this sound correct?

893bet wrote: »

Sky told me not to give notice to EIR as they would would put a cancellation on the line and SKY would then be not able to take it over. They said my notice period is automatic when EIR get the request from SKY to take over the line.

Does this sound correct?

Read what I posted above.

If Eir cancel your broadband then it'll take ages to get it activated again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I only rang Eir to and informed them I will be switching provider.

After that I rang Sky and in less than a week everything was switched over from Eir.

It is straight forward process if you let your new provider do all the leg work.

Do not cancel with Eir, active phone line and broadband is easy to switch over. No disruption and no hassle at all.

You have a month from the date of the letter to leave Eir. No need to wait until last minute as you have a right to leave within that 30 days without penalties.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Eir keep playing this line. Yet can't explain it when asked by anyone. "If you are still within your minimum term contract, the end date of your minimum term will stay the same" My situation is I've 14 months left and they refuse to allow me exit even after quoting my rights they just say NO...

Com reg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Got my letter this week.
    Is there any difference between Sky and Virgin?
    Virgin look to be €10 cheaper a month

One question not really related to topic, could it be that on the same cables Vodafone will offer double speed comparing to Eir?

loki7777 wrote: »
    One question not really related to topic, could it be that on the same cables Vodafone will offer double speed comparing to Eir?

No chance. Vodafone use Eir's lines, they all do as far as I know. Virgin have their own cables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

893bet wrote: »

Does this sound correct?

Yes.  I rang sky with my telephone and UAN number.  I had my Sky hub router delivered the next day.  Two days later my eir BB stopped working,  Plugged in the sky router and was connected, no distrubtion in service.
    Recieved a letter from Eir asking to send back router, all within a week.  Exactly same BB speed.  Happy switcher.

No chance. Vodafone use Eir's lines, they all do as far as I know. Virgin have their own cables

That's funny because Vodafone is telling me and showing online 60mbits when Eir only 30mbits. There is a small chance that eir capped BB speed because of amount users in area(small village outside Sligo). Line should be 100mbits but we know how it is:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I haven't gotten a letter yet but I have been told by chat that my package is going up. Cancellation line is closed.

Is there an email address I can send it to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hi Lads, I stupidity lost the letter I received from Eir last week regarding the €5 price increase. Could one of you please tell me how long I have to cancel my contract - I am nearly sure there was a date on the letter?

I was also chatting to an Eir rep via web chat and he told me this:
    **If you cancel all your services you will have to give 30 day's prior notice and there will be Early cease charges on your account **

I presume this is not true at all, if I cancel within the letters date?
    Thanks All

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I stupidity lost the letter I received from Eir last week regarding the €5 price increase. Could one of you please tell me how long I have to cancel my contract - I am nearly sure there was a date on the letter?

I was also chatting to an Eir rep via web chat and he told me this:
    **If you cancel all your services you will have to give 30 day's prior notice and there will be Early cease charges on your account **

I presume this is not true at all, if I cancel within the letters date?
    Thanks All

Just ring them with your account number at the ready. You have 30 days to cancel your contract from letter issue date.

I got mine cancelled without hassle in about 5 mins (bearing in mind I'm switching to VM and not Sky/Vodafone etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Thanks cherryghost, I wasn't sure was it 7\14\30 days that was on the letter.
    The Eir rep must have also mentioning about the cancel charge to scare people off from cancelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The Eir rep must have also mentioning about the cancel charge to scare people off from cancelling.

They seem to be using scare tactics to try stop people cancelling. The €5 increase is the third increase they applied to my account since i moved into the house a year ago. They waived the previous two, €3 & €5.

When i rang up to cancel they threatened to apply my ongoing discounts to my final bill since i was "breaking the contract"!!!

I'm switching to vodafone, SIRO is being rolled out in my street in the next few weeks, i only signed permission for them to run the wiring under my guttering a few weeks ago. One of the SIRO packages is €40 pm same as what i currently pay so i'll switch to that when i get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

I added mobile to existing landline/broadband contract at the start of Sept. Got increase letter on 20th Sept. Rang Eir this week and lady told me I can only cancel landline/broadband contract as mobile is unaffected. Does this sound right? All are bundled with one account number and one monthly bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

seadal wrote: »
    I added mobile to existing landline/broadband contract at the start of Sept. Got increase letter on 20th Sept. Rang Eir this week and lady told me I can only cancel landline/broadband contract as mobile is unaffected. Does this sound right? All are bundled with one account number and one monthly bill.

I cancelled my phone and broadband bundle. I wanted to keep the phone element but they said it was all or nothing.

I only added the phone to my account in May.

Owryan wrote: »

They seem to be using scare tactics to try stop people cancelling. The €5 increase is the third increase they applied to my account since i moved into the house a year ago. They waived the previous two, €3 & €5.

When i rang up to cancel they threatened to apply my ongoing discounts to my final bill since i was "breaking the contract"!!!

I'm switching to vodafone, SIRO is being rolled out in my street in the next few weeks, i only signed permission for them to run the wiring under my guttering a few weeks ago. One of the SIRO packages is €40 pm same as what i currently pay so i'll switch to that when i get the chance.
    have siro,left eir,e40, never drops below 230/250 , great service

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just ring them with your account number at the ready. You have 30 days to cancel your contract from letter issue date.

I got mine cancelled without hassle in about 5 mins (bearing in mind I'm switching to VM and not Sky/Vodafone etc)

If you are switching provider, your new provider will handle the transfer of the service. Are Eir insisting on notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I didn't get a letter and am with Eir for years i'm paying €67 a month for broadband and phone line and thinking of moving to Sky, my problem is everytime I go into Sky website and click on talk and broadband i'm directed to their England site and prices in sterling, maybe it's just me but can anyone tell me can I get landline and broadband with Sky and how much is it?do I tell Eir i'm leaving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

My monthly bill is €42...went to pay it yesterday, and it said 42...but when I clicked on pay..it changed to €45.01...checked the bill again..42 only, so I only paid that....strange as I've never had anything outstanding on my bill

Advertisement