Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you are switching provider, your new provider will handle the transfer of the service. Are Eir insisting on notice ?

Well in my case there was nothing to transfer. I went from Eir's line to VM's line so its not shared. I was told on the call if I was already switching to Sky/Vodafone, there'd be some contractual readout of some sort. But for me it was simple as 'we'll cut you off at the end of the billing month'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Well in my case there was nothing to transfer. I went from Eir's line to VM's line so its not shared. I was told on the call if I was already switching to Sky/Vodafone, there'd be some contractual readout of some sort. But for me it was simple as 'we'll cut you off at the end of the billing month'
    Check that you can transfer your existing phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I’m getting conflicting information from both Eir and Sky. I don’t have a landline with Eir so I just have a 8881- reference number.

I have informed Eir in time that I am transferring to sky and they said the service will be deactivated in 30 days or until Sky switch over. All Sky need is the UAN Number which I have given Sky.

Sky have sent out the new router to me and there is an engineer booked for next Friday to do the switch.

But Sky are telling me that because I don’t have a land line number, they have to wait for Eircom to disconnect first, then apply for a land line number before connecting the broadband.

Eir have said Sky can do it as is,
    Sky said the engineer cannot make the switch until Eir disconnect.

Either both of them are playing hardball with each other or one of them hasn’t got a clue. I can’t get any progress from either, no matter how many times I ring them both. You’d think that because there are so few other options, they would both be familiar with each other’s switching requirements.

Has anyone else had this problem with the switch and what can I do to have it resolved between them. I don’t want to find out next Friday that the engineer called out and couldn’t switch over. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

casio4 wrote: »
    I didn't get a letter and am with Eir for years i'm paying €67 a month for broadband and phone line and thinking of moving to Sky, my problem is everytime I go into Sky website and click on talk and broadband i'm directed to their England site and prices in sterling, maybe it's just me but can anyone tell me can I get landline and broadband with Sky and how much is it?do I tell Eir i'm leaving?

Same here, you won't be able to cancel i'm afraid.
    And there is something wrong with sky.ie redirecting to uk - but as far as i remember landline was about 7-10€/extra per month with unlimited landline(only!!) calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I didn't get a letter and am with Eir for years i'm paying €67 a month for broadband and phone line and thinking of moving to Sky, my problem is everytime I go into Sky website and click on talk and broadband i'm directed to their England site and prices in sterling, maybe it's just me but can anyone tell me can I get landline and broadband with Sky and how much is it?do I tell Eir i'm leaving?

I didn't get a letter, I was an a rolling contract with Eir as was also with them a few years. Just call sky. They will try sell you a TVs package as well. I told them I just want the landline and BB for the €35 a month for 12 months offer which is expiring soon, as she quoted higher over the phone. After a few minutes she came back to me and agreed it was €35 a month.

Sky handled the Change over with Eir. I got a letter from Eir saying my account was closed and asking to send back my router and set top box with in 30 days, with free post and labels.

No break In service. Changed over within 4 days of placing order. I did not have to contact Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone who switch to Vodafone have much disruption in service or is it as painless as switching to sky seems to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone who switch to Vodafone have much disruption in service or is it as painless as switching to sky seems to be?

Switched last week from Eir to Vodafone. Router landed a day later than the switch, so was without the broadband until the following morning. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

madcabbage wrote: »
    Switched last week from Eir to Vodafone. Router landed a day later than the switch, so was without the broadband until the following morning. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

Did you get a text saying when the switch would happen? I went ahead with it yesterday and am expecting the router in the next few days but I got a text saying the vodafone service will go active on the morning of the 19th. Hoping my eir service doesn't stop before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Modem comes in 2-3 days and 7 days(or working days) to get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

I have a mobile phone as part of my contract that I don't use. If I cancel will Eir continue to charge me for it? It was all part of the one bundle when I signed up

• Advertisement

Did you get a text saying when the switch would happen? I went ahead with it yesterday and am expecting the router in the next few days but I got a text saying the vodafone service will go active on the morning of the 19th. Hoping my eir service doesn't stop before then.

Switch happens when you get the text. Whether or not you have the router before then is another thing. Your Eir service won't stop straight away, they contacted me a week after I had the switch done looking for their router back so you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just leave your Eir router plugged in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

madcabbage wrote: »
    Switch happens when you get the text. Whether or not you have the router before then is another thing. Your Eir service won't stop straight away, they contacted me a week after I had the switch done looking for their router back so you should be grand.

switched from eir to sky last friday, router arrived monday I didn't plug it in as sky said I wouldn't be connected until 20th October. Eir stopped my broadband today I was shocked it was so quick as I had only paid a bill a week ago. I decided to plug in sky router and see if it worked and thankfully it did:)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

switched from eir to sky last friday, router arrived monday I didn't plug it in as sky said I wouldn't be connected until 20th October. Eir stopped my broadband today I was shocked it was so quick as I had only paid a bill a week ago. I decided to plug in sky router and see if it worked and thankfully it did:)

Yeah same thing here they eir cut me off switched it for sky hub and away it went.

Yeah same thing here they eir cut me off switched it for sky hub and away it went.

would I be due a bit if a refund from Eir as I only paid a months bill a week ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

would I be due a bit if a refund from Eir as I only paid a months bill a week ago?

Not sure to be honest no help to you on this.

No as that was for what you have used in the previous month. You'll still be charged for x amount of day in the billing month up to the day you switch for this month I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jnayer

I did this. Switched to SKY from Eir. Had it for one day. Now the fibre is down.

Sky claims area outage (Souh Dublin). I called eir and they claim there no area outage.

Both Sky and Eir told me when I was switching that Sky uses Eirs lines.

Sky can't give an estimation of when problem will be resolved. Sky also has customer care on its social channels but never answers.

Eir always was responsive at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Del007

Did your new modem arrive?

I switched from Eir to Sky and a few days later my fibre went down. All I had to do was to put the new modem in and it's working perfectly ever since.

Jnayer wrote: »
    I did this. Switched to SKY from Eir. Had it for one day. Now the fibre is down.

Sky claims area outage (Souh Dublin). I called eir and they claim there no area outage.

Both Sky and Eir told me when I was switching that Sky uses Eirs lines.

Sky can't give an estimation of when problem will be resolved. Sky also has customer care on its social channels but never answers.

Eir always was responsive at least.

I switched too and broadband went, try plugging in new box that should work i'm in south Dublin and no outage

• Advertisement

I switched too and broadband went, try plugging in new box that should work i'm in south Dublin and no outage

It has nothing to do with the box.

Sky claims outage.

I think they are lying or they don't know. Vodafone and eir customers both have service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Del007

Again, have you plugged in your new modem?

Del007 wrote: »
    Again, have you plugged in your new modem?

Yes.

The modem was plugged.in. There was a problem in the area. Fixed now, at least for time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Aimman wrote: »
    I’m getting conflicting information from both Eir and Sky. I don’t have a landline with Eir so I just have a 8881- reference number.

I have informed Eir in time that I am transferring to sky and they said the service will be deactivated in 30 days or until Sky switch over. All Sky need is the UAN Number which I have given Sky.

Sky have sent out the new router to me and there is an engineer booked for next Friday to do the switch.

But Sky are telling me that because I don’t have a land line number, they have to wait for Eircom to disconnect first, then apply for a land line number before connecting the broadband.

Eir have said Sky can do it as is,
    Sky said the engineer cannot make the switch until Eir disconnect.

Either both of them are playing hardball with each other or one of them hasn’t got a clue. I can’t get any progress from either, no matter how many times I ring them both. You’d think that because there are so few other options, they would both be familiar with each other’s switching requirements.

Has anyone else had this problem with the switch and what can I do to have it resolved between them. I don’t want to find out next Friday that the engineer called out and couldn’t switch over. Very frustrating.

Make sure your eir modem goes back,as they told me a courier would pick it up , never came,rang, and rang and eventually was told to post it back,do for months I couldn't leave them over the bloody modem

Question for anyone who's switched from Eir to Virgin and kept their landline number.

On the live chat when I ordered the rep didn't seem to have much of a clue about keeping my number bar that if I cancelled with Eir I'd lose the number completely... to switch the number first.

So that was grand, adding a few days on.

I filled the form out there and it said if you've internet with the provider you'll lose that service when it's switched.

Now maybe that just means the service ends but you're still going to be charged, which is fine.

But I'm worried that if the switch happens, the Eir contract will be broken and that if I don't ring the free phone number and advise them they'll try to penalise me.
    Wondering should I ring in the morning and tell them I'm leaving once the switch over happens or what's the best solution.

Can Eir try to claim a penalty if you don't ring them to say you're leaving?.. can you ring and impose a few days delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So my broadband was switched today, earlier than agreed. Eir modem stopped working and plugged in the Vodafone one and off we went.

Only thing I'm annoyed about is they did it on a Sunday without any notice. Just need to sort a new Mobile planning now.

I assume I ll get a final bill and info on sending their equipment back to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Make sure your eir modem goes back,as they told me a courier would pick it up , never came,rang, and rang and eventually was told to post it back,do for months I couldn't leave them over the bloody modem

Cheers. I thought they’d only want the modem after the service was switched. I better give them another call to arrange collection.

I got a letter from eir today a week after switching telling me to send back modem within 30 days and there are various ways to send it, all free of charge. I can post it back with the sticker they sent or bring it to parcel motel or contact the courier they nominate again all free

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

I switched from Eir to Sky and the guy on the phone said he'd handle the changeover for us. Got the modem in the post and was told that the Sky engineer would be coming next week to install. Yesterday morning our Eir Vision TV and fibre broadband stopped working and hasn't worked since. The box is still letting us watch recordings. I'm not sure if it's due to the storm or if we've been cut off. Are we supposed to go without tv for a week? Other Eir customers in the estate are reporting no problems. I plugged in the Sky modem to try but it would not connect either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Was anyone successful in ringing up and getting eir to not pass on the 6 euro increase?

Advertisement