Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer in a house that needs a total renovation

Options
  • 31-08-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

A house next door to the house we rent is possibly for sale. It is vacant 5 years and is a very very old house with a toilet outside. We live in a lovely neighbourhood and these houses tend to get snapped up and renovated so we are in a lucky position that the owner of the house at sell to us for 50k.

We never had a mortgage before. Does anyone know how it works when you have to properly but the place? We are talking 100+k I'd say. But any mortgage company ice seen says they only give the mortgage to the value of the house.

So how do you get a mortgage when the majority is to be drawn down to renovate it. Is there a different process to that?
    We are very lost and the mortgage broker we saw was no help.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I got a mortgage to buy a small house in need of total renovation, lived it in for a year and then subsequently got a top-up mortgage to do the renovation.

The top-up was provided in tranches as the work was completed. The builder would send a request for payment periodically, the architect certified the work was done, I gave the bank the certificate, and the bank gave me the money required.

Advertisement