Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shift change but not being offered the same deal as Manufacturing

Options
  • 31-08-2017 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

I work 24/7 shift in a lab of a major international company, 24/7 is 2x12 hour days followed by 2x12 hour nights and then 4 days off . Its been requested by lab management that we change shift from 24/7 to 12/7. 12/7 is just 4x12 hour days. Recently a number of manufacturing personal were requested to make the same transition. The shift % for 24/7 is 33%, the shift% for 12/7 is 25%. The personal in manufacturing that moved from 24/7 to 12/7 were offered the followed the following deal, keep 33% for 6 month, then 29% for 6 months before they would then transition to 25% for the 12/7 shift. The personnel in the lab are requesting the same deal but have been told by HR that no such deal exists for manufacturing, this is a bare face lie. I have spoke to 6 or 7 of the manufacturing people that transitioned to the 12/7 and they all have confirmed keeping 33% for 6 months then 29% for 6 months. HR are expecting the lab personal to drop from 33 to 25% after only a months notice, this is clear and utter discrimination and would appreciate some advice

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Employers are largely free to make separate arrangements with different staff.

You might think it discriminatory, in fact it might well be. I don't see how it's discrimination under one of the protected grounds though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Graham wrote: »
    Employers are largely free to make separate arrangements with different staff.

You might think it discriminatory, in fact it might well be. I don't see how it's discrimination under one of the protected grounds though.

protected grounds?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners
    • Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability
    • Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual
    • Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none
    • Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions
    • Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
    • Membership of the Traveller community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I work 24/7 shift in a lab of a major international company, 24/7 is 2x12 hour days followed by 2x12 hour nights and then 4 days off . Its been requested by lab management that we change shift from 24/7 to 12/7. 12/7 is just 4x12 hour days. Recently a number of manufacturing personal were requested to make the same transition. The shift % for 24/7 is 33%, the shift% for 12/7 is 25%. The personal in manufacturing that moved from 24/7 to 12/7 were offered the followed the following deal, keep 33% for 6 month, then 29% for 6 months before they would then transition to 25% for the 12/7 shift. The personnel in the lab are requesting the same deal but have been told by HR that no such deal exists for manufacturing, this is a bare face lie. I have spoke to 6 or 7 of the manufacturing people that transitioned to the 12/7 and they all have confirmed keeping 33% for 6 months then 29% for 6 months. HR are expecting the lab personal to drop from 33 to 25% after only a months notice, this is clear and utter discrimination and would appreciate some advice

Do you have an option of refusing the change? Or are lab staff in a position to negotiate a BETTER contract?

Advertisement