Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Seeing plenty of flashes here off the west cork coast! Only hearing a small bit of thunder though because I think the ocean is drowning out the sound. Beautiful though!

Yea a storm going passed the S coast atm. Big hail showers going through here near Tralee.

p8qZus6.png?1

2LMqJVX.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Few flashes just now between Clare/Kerry direction around Loop Head

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Very loud thunder and lightning in Kerry woke me last 15 mins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

@MetEireann

The heavy rain should soon clear, then sunny spells and showers for much of the morning, with just fresh southwest winds. However, heavy locally thundery rain will extend from the Atlantic during the afternoon, with some spot flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some bolts of lightning aroound castlebar!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Third attempt to make a post , lightning here near Tralee has knocked out the power a few times in the last 20 mins. One blinding flash with almost instant thunder rattled the house. followed by a squall of hail. Going to be some night of it. Not showing up on the maps for here.

A lot of lightning reported in kerry early this morning.

PjPl6lw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

recent strikes showing north of Bantry

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Thunder and lighting here now in cork City!

Lightning and thunder in Cork city, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Huge Thunder in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Thunder and lighting here now in cork City!

Huge flash from SW?

jackrussel wrote: »
    Huge flash from SW?

Yep! Only one flash though,

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Loud rumble of thunder near Rochestown.

jackrussel wrote: »
    Huge flash from SW?

Couldn't really see, not showing up on the map yet. Some strikes off the SW coast though.

I see it on the map now, SW of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Very loud rumble a minute ago in Rochestown. Was literally walking up to my house a minute ago and the sky was so clear, not a hint of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Thunder and lightning Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just woke me up - it’s loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Loud rumble of thunder near Rochestown.

Flash and bang 3 seconds apart here in Riverstick Co Cork too. Followed by an impressive 45 second gust.

Colser wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning Cork city.

Very loud!

Was loud alright, hopefully there will be more. Still gusting strong here, but only one flash :(

• Advertisement

Gone very clear here again in the Wilton/bishopstown area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is there thunder and lightning associated with this storm because the winds in cork have really picked up. Either I heard a huge rumble of thunder about ten minutes ago or something very big in my garden or neighbouring gardens moved.

Yes I saw a big flash through the curtains about 45 minutes ago followed by an almighty clap of thunder, Turners Cross area. It seemed to be a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Just seen a flash of lightning in the distance / galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Nice rumble of thunder and lightning just now in Westport.

And another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Nice rumble of thunder and lightning just now in Westport.

And another.

I heard it, has moved its way over to Castlebar. Still bucketing down here but the wind seems to have eased off somewhat. Edit: No, the wind speed is still high.

Edit 2: Just got some lightening in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

thunder and lightning there in ennis, around 02:05

about 15 seconds between lightning and thunder, i've never heard it taht late. anywhere i can find out where about was the lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

thunder and lightning there in ennis, around 02:05

about 15 seconds between lightning and thunder, i've never heard it taht late. anywhere i can find out where about was the lightning?

Try this!
    http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Just got a few big rumbles here in West Limerick, lights on the blink now as the wind and hail seems to be at its worst all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Saw some flashes and some not so near thunder near Limerick City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some thunder and lightening in the mid west part of Ireland in the past hour. There are postings about on the Storm Eleanor thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement