Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Vitamins

• 01-09-2017 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Ok

I'm a vegetarian, and I think this is the reason I lack energy, and oversleep sometimes. Sometimes I could sleep 10 hours a day still be tired.im 21 BTW.

So should I take vitmans in the morning.

I was considering the following 3

B12 Tablets
    Vit C tablets
    Iron + C tablets

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Do you go to bed early and unwind (no screens- mobile/tv) an hour before then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I would suggest going to your doctor and getting some blood tests done before trying the vitamins.

You may have low haemoglobin, iron or vitamin D levels. It may be best to determine the cause first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Tenigate wrote: »
    Do you go to bed early and unwind (no screens- mobile/tv) an hour before then?

When I'm in college I'm in bed at 11, and up at 7. But yea km constantly using phone/iPad. I use them in bed then go to sleep.

Maybe I should try the unwinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Sounds like B12 would be beneficial. Go to you doctor & get bloods done first as Martina suggested.

I would have been similar to you, always exhausted. I got bloods done & my B12 levels were extremely low, the doctor put me on injections. It was only after talking to the doctor that I realized I was suffering from loads of other smaller symptoms. At first my injections were twice a week, I do them monthly now... If I'm more than a week or two late I can really feel the difference.

You should take a multi vitamin anyway, that will cover vit C & iron.

BTW, I was a veggie for 15 years & was at the time I started taking B12. I'm back eating meat the last 3 years & I still have to take B12, veggie or not some people don't absorb B12 from food as easily as others. I would have eaten a lot of eggs, milk & cheese which are high in B12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I heard before anything that walks, swims or flies has Vitamin B12 in it. So for a vegetarian, having a low B12 level may be very likely. Lack of vitamin B12 can cause anaemia, which in turn could be the reason you feel so tired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can get vitamin b12 from dairy and eggs.

Do see a doctor for tests, taking a vitamin when you don't need them just creates expensive wee!!
    More importantly are you looking at your diet to check you're getting everything you need? Being a vegetarian means more than not eating meat, it means making sure you get a variety of beans and pulses, leafy greens and so on.

Advertisement