Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moulded earplugs

Options
  • 01-09-2017 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I see spec savers are doing moulded earplugs for shooting. Has anyone bought a pair from them or are there better options out there. Over ear defenders are not an option due to the stock height on my shotgun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I see spec savers are doing moulded earplugs for shooting. Has anyone bought a pair from them or are there better options out there. Over ear defenders are not an option due to the stock height on my shotgun.

Yes I have used them moulded ear plugs do as they say on the tin not as fancy as the CEN hearing ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Look up Flugz. Might be worth trying them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks lads. Those flugz look a good job €25 on amazon. I'd just be worried the recoil might keep knocking them out of place but I might give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I don't think so.keep meaning to get some and for that price you can't go far wrong. Then if you want to spend €100 or whatever go for it.

Took the plunge and ordered them. Should have them in a couple of days I will let you know how I get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

David gamble owns insta mould NI. They use moulds as standard, then cens upgrades too. He does alot Of The game fairs and some bigger shooting comps. He has a facebook page and you can see where he will be for a look at them.

Cheers. The flugz are due to arrive tomorrow and I will be using them Thursday night so should have an update on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Any update on the Flugz Luckysasha?

Flugz arrived in the post today. Pretty simple procedure to fit them and they seem to block a lot of noise out. Won't really know until I take them shooting but so far so good. I will try them out Thursday night when I'm shooting but if I get a chance beforehand then I will update.

So for anyone looking for an update on flugz here goes. Used these tonight shooting 50 compak sporting and I have mixed feelings towards them. Up till now I was using Howard Leigh by Honeywell electronic earmuffs but the higher stock on my shotgun was interfering with the earmuffs so I switched to the moulded earplugs. So I got the flugz and followed the instructions on moulding them to my ears, wasn't happy with the first attempt so heated them up again and fitted them for the second time. Seemed to get a better fit the second time I suppose that's a big plus in that you can reheat them numerous times until your happy with the fit. So tonight I put them in for shooting and the first thing I noticed is that you can't hear normal conversation like with the electronic earmuffs. Although they say you can hear normal ambient noises I couldn't. When I started shooting I could definitely hear more through the flugz than I could through my earmuffs. It blocked out some of the noise but I could still hear a loud "crack" similar to firing my .22lr rifle without a moderator if that makes any sense. It was a little loud and if I had being shooting more than 50 birds I probably would have switched back to the earmuffs. The fit of the flugz was good and I was worried I might have to keep adjusting them but no the stayed put and didn't move. In summary I will keep these in my shooting bag for 50 birds or less but if I was at a shoot or if I needed to carry out a conversation as in a coaching session I would opt for the earmuffs instead. I will be shooting on Saturday so I might try remoulding them to see if I can get a better seal and if it's any better I will update my review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i shoot a lot of 100 bird DTL /ABT /OT .

i got a set of the cens moulded plugs with the passive filters a few months ago . they are comfortable and fit excellently but they are pricey. they provide adequate protection but having said that they are nowhere near as good as earmuffs and i ended up going back to wearing the much cheaper peltor X5A ear muffs which are the best ive found.

as for the muffs getting in the way of the high stock id ask are you relatively new to shooting because when i was new i couldnt wear muffs because i felt they always got in the way so i wore plugs, but as i got more experienced i found it was me mounting incorrectly that was causing the problem

if you want a cheap set of shooting ear plugs that provide good protection id recommend these https://www.crescendo-hearingprotection.com/product/crescendo-shooting-earplugs-military-standard/

they arent as comfortable as the cens but they aint bad and they have a switch on them to allow you hear people talking while still providing protection

I may end up going back to the earmuffs. I know I was just conscious of the higher stock hitting them so I was wearing them high on my ears. Just one more thing to get used to I suppose lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Im gonna give a thumbs up to David Gamble in NI.

I met him at a shooting Comp few months ago and he does your custom molded inserts there and then. If your looking for a fancier set with electronics he takes the mold and sends em on when completed.

I believe his are the only ones CE certified ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

I believe his are the only ones CE certified ?

nearly all hearing protection in europe is CE certified

For over 20 years it has been a legal requirement throughout Europe for manufacturers of PPE to ensure their products comply fully with Directive 89/686/EU (PPE). The Directive defines the Essential Health & Safety Requirements for PPE and the steps manufacturers must take to ensure conformity, enabling them to apply the ‘CE’ mark before legally placing the product on the market.

Advertisement