Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rent goes up again

Options
  • 01-09-2017 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Friend of mine got new lease through Post this morning. The agreement itself was dated back to the end of June. His rent went up again. The rent increased last year (june 2016). The landlord stated it's a 4% increase standard. Is it possible year after year increase the rent?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

asgaard wrote: »
    Hi all

Friend of mine got new lease through Post this morning. The agreement itself was dated back to the end of June. His rent went up again. The rent increased last year (june 2016). The landlord stated it's a 4% increase standard. Is it possible year after year increase the rent?

Thanks

Yep. Every year nearly garaunteed. If your landlord was nice before and left the rent below market rate he would have been fcuked over by the legislation. Landlords don't want to take any chances of getting left behind and fcuked again so they will increase to the max at every opportunity now.
    Thanks Simon Coveny for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Yep. Every year nearly garaunteed. If your landlord was nice before and left the rent below market rate he would have been fcuked over by the legislation. Landlords don't want to take any chances of getting left behind and fcuked again so they will increase to the max at every opportunity now.
    Thanks Simon Coveny for that one.

He wasn't informed whatsoever, he got it by Post without further notice.

Not sure what the structure is for the notification or notice of increase now as I'm out of it, but it will be available online.
    I would imagine what he got was notification of a 4% increase to take effect a year after the last one did, but you would need to check it and exact dates and then check the rules against it.

He might as well just assume at this point to that his rent will increase every 12 months by 4%.

But it's entirely possible if you check the legislation that the increase last June locks it for 2 years. As I said I'm out of it so not really inclined to read through it anymore. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Hi all

Thanks

Check Citizens information here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html

Depending on the when your friends tenancy started it is possible a rent review may not be allowed for another 12 months (24 months from the time the rent was set). see quoted text below.
    In existing tenancies (starting before 24 December 2016) the first rent review in a Rent Pressure Zone may take place a minimum of 24 months after the previous time the rent was set. The maximum rent increase will be 4% (which amounts to 2% per year since the previous rent was set). Subsequent rent reviews may take place after a minimum period of 12 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

He still has to get 90 days notification of any rent increase.

You cannot back date a notice to increase rent.

Ask the landlord to issue the correct notification including how he calculated the rent. All this information is on the RTB website for the landlord.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/sample-notice-of-rent-review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hi all

Thanks

If the rent was reviewed in June 2016, the next review can only take place in June 2018 with 90 days notice. After that, the review reverts to yearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

A landlord is treating his business like a business. Virgin or Eir don't call you up to say expect a letter in 2 weeks telling you we are increasing your phone bill by €5 per month

What difference would have further contact have made? Your friend was getting a rent increase. Did your friend want a phone call to discuss the increase?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

A landlord is treating his business like a business. Virgin or Eir don't call you up to say expect a letter in 2 weeks telling you we are increasing your phone bill by €5 per month

What difference would have further contact have made? Your friend was getting a rent increase. Did your friend want a phone call to discuss the increase?

Incorrect. Any change to your price plan breaks the contract with the providers you mentioned.

And if not in contact they have to notify you of the price increase which they always do and it always makes the media too.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭irelandrover

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Any change to your price plan breaks the contract with the providers you mentioned.

And if not in contact they have to notify you of the price increase which they always do and it always makes the media too.

:confused:

At the end of your contract Virgin can increase the rates. they will send you a letter informing you of the increase. If you dont agree with the increase then you leave.

it is the exact same situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The friend is entitled to notice in line with the statutory notice periods. Unless he has also received prior notice I can't think of any circumstance under the RTA where a backdated rent review is appropriate, acceptable or valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

At the end of your contract Virgin can increase the rates. they will send you a letter informing you of the increase. If you dont agree with the increase then you leave.

it is the exact same situation.

But they can't send you a letter in September saying the increase is taking effect from June gone past.

amcalester wrote: »
    But they can't send you a letter in September saying the increase is taking effect from June gone past.

I never said they could. The post i was replying to also didnt say they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I never said they could. The post i was replying to also didnt say they could.

But that's what the landlord did and in you two jump with your businesses can increase prices comments.

So either you think it's OK for the landlord to backdate the notice, or you misunderstood the OP.

amcalester wrote: »
    But that's what the landlord did and in you two jump with your businesses can increase prices comments.

So either you think it's OK for the landlord to backdate the notice, or you misunderstood the OP.

I didnt respond to the OP. I responded to Gizmo.

One thing i'd check is when the letter was actually sent. Maybe it wasnt backdated but there was a delay in the post. Its unlikely and the notice probably isnt valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

I didnt respond to the OP. I responded to Gizmo.

One thing i'd check is when the letter was actually sent. Maybe it wasnt backdated but there was a delay in the post. Its unlikely and the notice probably isnt valid.
    That has been sent on 31st of August per Post stamp as friend of mine stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

This is a pretty simple one - the friend tells the landlord they believe the review to be invalid and that should be that until June 2018 as many others have alluded to already

Browney7 wrote: »
    This is a pretty simple one - the friend tells the landlord they believe the review to be invalid and that should be that until June 2018 as many others have alluded to already

Exactly, OP if you have any doubts, use the RPZ calculator on the RTB website. It should come back with an error saying review date must be more than 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't be surprised if long term the RPZ 4% increase every year becomes part of the (regional) psyche and even in times of decent supply, rents will just go up 4% anyway as all the landlords will be used to acting in unison, coordinated by legislation.

murphaph wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if long term the RPZ 4% increase every year becomes part of the (regional) psyche and even in times of decent supply, rents will just go up 4% anyway as all the landlords will be used to acting in unison, coordinated by legislation.

It will definitely happen each year while supply.is an issue.
    And I can't see supply ever not being an issue anymore. Law of unintended consequences had come home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

If the rent was reviewed in June 2016, the next review can only take place in June 2018 with 90 days notice. After that, the review reverts to yearly.

This is the correct answer. The two year rule was still in place in June 2016 when the rent was last increased so your friends landlord will have to abide by that. New rent cannot be reviewed till 2018.

If they are in a RPZ use the RPZ calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

We need a guy like this

In the past, Irish people always supported each other around evictions or rent increases, but we don't any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

karenalot wrote: »
    This is the correct answer. The two year rule was still in place in June 2016 when the rent was last increased so your friends landlord will have to abide by that. New rent cannot be reviewed till 2018.

If they are in a RPZ use the RPZ calculator.

It appears as if the calculator has at least one bug. For tenancies starting before 24th December 2016 it assume a 2% pro-rated rate, even after the initial two year period.

It appears as if the calculator has at least one bug. For tenancies starting before 24th December 2016 it assume a 2% pro-rated rate, even after the initial two year period.

Probably not a bug :)
    Just an extra kick in the teeth for landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Please stop stating incorrect positions with such confidence.

OP: you've received the correct information in this thread. Your friend can go back to the LandLord and inform him of the correct notice process. The rent increase is correct and will stand, but because the LL failed to follow the correct process there will be a delay in it kicking in.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Please stop stating incorrect positions with such confidence.

OP: you've received the correct information in this thread. Your friend can go back to the LandLord and inform him of the correct notice process. The rent increase is correct and will stand, but because the LL failed to follow the correct process there will be a delay in it kicking in.

The notice is not correct and won't stand. The landlord can't increase the rent until next year.

The notice is not correct and won't stand. The landlord can't increase the rent until next year.

Surely he can correct the notice, and resubmit with the right period of notice? The issue is with the lack of correct notice of increase, not with the legal ability to ask for an increase...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Surely he can correct the notice, and resubmit with the right period of notice? The issue is with the lack of correct notice of increase, not with the legal ability to ask for an increase...

The rent can't be reviewed until June 2018. The notice period is not the thing holding back the increase. The landlord cannot legally increase the rent this year.

The rent can't be reviewed until June 2018. The notice period is not the thing holding back the increase. The landlord cannot legally increase the rent this year.

Ah yes, cheers - it's the first rent review! Missed that detail from getting hung up on some other posts. Thanks for clarifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If your in a rent pressure zone, rent can only be increase by 4% a year, for 3 years. This was brought in December 2016.

If your not in a RPZ, as long as it's within market rates, the landlord can charge what they want.

You must get receive proper notice after the required period has elapsed (1 year in RPZ, 2 years elsewhere). The notice is 90 days. Increased rent cannot be charged until the notice has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

If your in a rent pressure zone, rent can only be increase by 4% a year, for 3 years. This was brought in December 2016.

If your not in a RPZ, as long as it's within market rates, the landlord can charge what they want.

You must get receive proper notice after the required period has elapsed (1 year in RPZ, 2 years elsewhere). The notice is 90 days. Increased rent cannot be charged until the notice has passed.

With regards to increases in RPZ, I've heard that if LL need to carry out substantial work on the property they can go over the restrictions. But do they still need to wait the 2 years?

For example you rent a property in Jan 17 and in Nov 17 the heating needs a major overhaul/replacement. The lease is up for renewal in Jan 18. Can the LL say, sorry the rent is going up 10% now or do they need to wait until Jan 19 to do it. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement