Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding Bike Advice

Options
  • 01-09-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I'm looking at buying a folding bike via the BTW scheme. It will be used a few times per week for a commuting run of around 5km. As a result, I'm not looking to spend a great deal on it. My employer's scheme requires that I purchase the bike from a bricks and mortar store so my options are somewhat limited.

So far, I have narrowed my options down to a Martello Clip or Raleigh Stowaway 7. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models? The Raleigh is approximately twice the price of the Martello. Is it worth the additional cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the stowaway is twice the price I won't even google the Martello. Not really much to play with at that price point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usual first question would be have you tried both? extra factors over a 'normal' bike would be weight (as you wil be carrying them), how compact they fold to, and how easy they fold, i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

These two sites have good information:
    http://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/
    http://foldsoc.co.uk

Don't know whether they have anything on the two you're looking at, but they'll give you some advice about what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hey,

Have a look at the giant halfway folding bike, can be got through bricks and mortar stores in Dublin. I'd recommend it over the Raleigh (used both)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

usual first question would be have you tried both? extra factors over a 'normal' bike would be weight (as you wil be carrying them), how compact they fold to, and how easy they fold, i guess?

I have seen and held them in person in a bike shop without having actually cycled them. The Raleigh is a touch lighter and has an extra gear. Both bikes fold up to the same degree, more or less, but the salesperson reckoned that the Raleigh's folding mechanism, and components in general, are of higher quality.

He would though, I suppose, given the price difference. I can't find much info online about the Martello bike or brand. I was told that both bikes are from the same manufacturer.
    Nisio wrote: »
    Hey,

Have a look at the giant halfway folding bike, can be got through bricks and mortar stores in Dublin. I'd recommend it over the Raleigh (used both)

Thanks! I have checked out the Halfway but decided it was more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement