Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus TQ400 minimise noise

• 01-09-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm replacing a Grundfos mains water pump with Walrus TQ400 next week and just looking for options to reduce the noise. Our Grundfos died after about 9 years and power wise I'd no complaints but the noise of this thing was incredible. The new walrus is supposed to be quieter but I'm just trying to minimise noise when I'm getting it installed.

From reading similar threads I've heard about a rubber mat underneath the pump and a box with fibre glass or something similar around it to muffle the sound. Is there any particular mats people would recommend? My old pump was screwed directly onto the ground which I think was part of the problem.

As an aside as this is a mains pump is there any issue with turning the power off to the pump when it's not needed? This is something we started doing the last few years with the Grundfos as any tap in the house or toilet flushed and the pump would go off for about 20 seconds or was like there was a tractor upstairs and you would hear it all over the house. Does turning it off when not in use damage it at all? I'm hoping I won't have to even go down this road but just checking.

Thanks for any feedback in advance I'm a novice on this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Just incase anyone else comes across this my new pump is almost silent so no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emo

Hi Jones,

I am just doing some research myself on how to minimise the noise coming from our walrus water pump. I'm just wondering did you do anything in particular to minimise the noise of yours? Our pump is not silent at all so any tips at all would be much appreciated :) We are more or less used to it at this stage ourselves but I dread the thoughts of having people over to stay because of the noise of it. God forbid anyone needs to use to loo during the night!! Any info at all would be great. Thanks in advance. E

Hi emo we have nothing in particular done to the pump to minimise noise. Only thing is it is sitting on a padded piece of rubber and then on a tile. Maybe it's due to my old pump being extremely noisey I don't really hear the new one. The old one was a nightmare had to switch it off at night was like a kangol hammer going off every time someone flushed a toilet or used the taps. The walrus isn't silent but it's very quiet compared to the old grundig one (it's about half the size of it too which obviously helps)

Edit I forgot to say in the title I talked about the tq400 but I had the tq200 installed which might be quieter than the bigger version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 redclogs7

Hi,

I recently had a walrus pump installed in my hot press. The plumber placed it on an ‘acoustic pad’ to reduce noise, but it’s still pretty loud - to the point that my next door neighbour complained. 🙈

Can I ask where you got the rubber pad? Did you use silicone to attach rubber to tile? And any issues with switching it off for hours at a time?

Hi the acoustic pad came with my pump so I didn't have to source it but it's a standard one. It's not stuck onto the tile just sitting on it. The tile is only there to lift it up more than anything else.

I don't turn it off at night but if I away for more than two weeks or so I'd turn it off at the mains in case of a flood and haven't had any issue. My old pump I had to turn off at night as it was an industrial monster and would almost shake the house every time a tap was turned on.

It sounds like yours might be vibrating off something if the neighbour is hearing it so loudly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

hi ,

do you have flexible hoses or copper pipes fitted to the pump?

i have rigid pipes fitted to my TQ400 as the plumber claimed the flexible ones tend to fail and risk flodding (no idea whether its true, or he didnt have any) ..

but as a result i have vibration transferred onto the pipes and it bugs me (and the neighbors must hear it as well) and i cant fully tell the noise of the pump vs the transferred noise . was in a house recently with a grundfos scala in the dining room cabinet . you couldn't hear it 2m away..

Any thoughts on those flexible pipes used by grundfos or stuart turner?

Advertisement