Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Lean Bulking" question

• 01-09-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Just starting a bulk after 8 month cut where I lost 18lbs. Went from 185 to 167. I'm male, 5 11". Struggling to up the weights in a deficit which is main reason for starting this bulk. I'm also struggling to lose the last bit of fat from lower abs. (I know a bulk won't help the last part)

Q: Should I even be starting this bulk when I still have a small bit of unwanted body fat or just keep cutting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just starting a bulk after 8 month cut where I lost 18lbs. Went from 185 to 167. I'm male, 5 11". Struggling to up the weights in a deficit which is main reason for starting this bulk. I'm also struggling to lose the last bit of fat from lower abs. (I know a bulk won't help the last part)

Q: Should I even be starting this bulk when I still have a small bit of unwanted body fat or just keep cutting?
    hate to ask but got pics?

Most guys worry about "the last bit" when its non existent or the need to get stronger.

current deadlift/squat/chin/dip

age also?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Transform wrote: »
    hate to ask but got pics?

Most guys worry about "the last bit" when its non existent or the need to get stronger.

current deadlift/squat/chin/dip

age also?

Tried uploading but new to boards so unable to until I've posted 5 or more times.

I'm 28!

Squat & Deadlift are at 80kg.

Chins & dips - just body weight but doing 3x10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Not wanting to ambush the thread, but as an aside - when would you say is generally a good point to quit cutting?

I've been thinking 10%-12% bf to give room to go up to 15% during a follow-up bulk.

Tried uploading but new to boards so unable to until I've posted 5 or more times.

I'm 28!

Squat & Deadlift are at 80kg.

Chins & dips - just body weight but doing 3x10

Need to get far stronger there dude, should be squatting at least 100kg and deadlift over 120kg. Hard to see a decent slab of muscle if there's not enough strength to back it up.

I hope all your training isn't reps of 10-15reps as you need to do plenty of lower rep work also

Not wanting to ambush the thread, but as an aside - when would you say is generally a good point to quit cutting?

I've been thinking 10%-12% bf to give room to go up to 15% during a follow-up bulk.

What ever your happiest with really

• Advertisement

Need to get far stronger there dude, should be squatting at least 100kg and deadlift over 120kg. Hard to see a decent slab of muscle if there's not enough strength to back it up.

I hope all your training isn't reps of 10-15reps as you need to do plenty of lower rep work also

Thanks for the advice man!

Rep ranges usually between 5-8 occasionally 10 at the very most.

Sounds like I should just go ahead with the bulk and try to build some strength for the next few months?

Who needs a six pack anyway... during winter... in Ireland!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't necessarily need to bulk to get stronger. Based on those numbers you could probably get stronger at the same weight.

Thanks for the advice man!

Rep ranges usually between 5-8 occasionally 10 at the very most.

Sounds like I should just go ahead with the bulk and try to build some strength for the next few months?

Who needs a six pack anyway... during winter... in Ireland!! :D

No.

The primary goal should be just get way stronger and use lower rep ranges on the big compound lifts and higher on accessory lifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi,
    What's your goal?
    Build muscle or lose the last bit of fat.

You need to get stronger. But you don't need to add muscle to get stronger. Loads of scope improve lifts on a deficit imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    What's your goal?
    Build muscle or lose the last bit of fat.

You need to get stronger. But you don't need to add muscle to get stronger. Loads of scope improve lifts on a deficit imo.

I'd like to build muscle primarily. If I stayed at a similar body fat % I wouldn't mind (I'm around 15 or 16%)

I've been trying to get stronger for months but I'm really struggling to make any significant improvement.
    I'm only asking about the bulk because I'm getting frustrated with the lack of improvement in the strength department! It's as though I can't improve whilst in a calorie deficit or maintenance.

I thought maybe by bulking the extra calories would increase energy levels in the gym and help me to increase size too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ugh this. I've gotten down to a decent level of bodyweight. Dropped about 12kg which by calipers tested from someone who knows they're doing had me at 9.5%. 190kg deadlift, 160kg squat and 95kg bench. No Abs 

Squat typo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ugh this. I've gotten down to a decent level of bodyweight. Dropped about 12kg which by calipers tested from someone who knows they're doing had me at 9.5%. 190kg deadlift, 260kg squat and 95kg bench. No Abs :(

Please tell me that's a typo. :eek:

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Haha yes typo it was 160!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I thought maybe by bulking the extra calories would increase energy levels in the gym and help me to increase size too?

I don't know why people are steering you away from a bulk. I hit a bit of a plateau after my first nine months or so, ate my way out of it.

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't know why people are steering you away from a bulk. I hit a bit of a plateau after my first nine months or so, ate my way out of it.
    Because at current strength levels he doesn't need to get bigger to get stronger. It may or may not be conducive to his goals depending on what they are. Which it why I was looking for clarity.

If his long terms goal is to be 10%bf at 85kg (for example) then bulking now is fine. It it's to lean and strong at 70kg, then might be best to work towards that.
    I'd like to build muscle primarily. If I stayed at a similar body fat % I wouldn't mind (I'm around 15 or 16%)

I've been trying to get stronger for months but I'm really struggling to make any significant improvement.
    I'm only asking about the bulk because I'm getting frustrated with the lack of improvement in the strength department! It's as though I can't improve whilst in a calorie deficit or maintenance.

are you only asking about the bulk to improve strength, or are you aiming to be bigger and stronger long term. What's your goal weight.

Regardless of the above, if you are struggling to get past a 80kg deadlift. That suggests that your training could possibly improve. Whats your current routine look like

If his long terms goal is to be 10%bf at 85kg (for example) then bulking now is fine. It it's to lean and strong at 70kg, then might be best to work towards that.

are you only asking about the bulk to improve strength, or are you aiming to be bigger and stronger long term. What's your goal weight.

Regardless of the above, if you are struggling to get past a 80kg deadlift. That suggests that your training could possibly improve. Whats your current routine look like[/QUOTE]

Ideally I'd like to get back to my January weight of 84/85kg before I started cutting. I'd obviously like to be stronger and more muscular than I was when at that weight back then.

I'm 75kg now and although I look leaner and more muscular, I'm a bit too light IMO. I'm quite broad so the extra weight looks more natural on me than my current weight.

A lot of people are saying I should get stronger (which makes sense) but I've a mentioned a few times that I'm really struggling to push on! I suppose the bulk is necessary to put back on the weight but I thought it might also help with building strength too.

Getting bigger is the main goal. The strength/numbers is definitely secondary for me.

At the moment I'm working out every other day.

Chest / Shoulders / Tris

Bench Press: 4x6 80kg
    Incline DB press: 3x8 25kg
    Military Press: 4x6 45kg
    Shrugs: 3x8 50kg
    Lat raises: 3x8 10kg
    Triceps Overhead Press: 25kg
    Dips: 3x10 either off bench of machine

Back / Bi's/ Legs

Pull-ups: 3x10 just body weight
    Deadlift: 4x6 80kg
    Bent over rows: 4x6 50kg
    Single arm rows: 3x10 15kg
    Barbell curls: 3x8 25kg
    Alternating DB curls: 3x10 12.5kg

Some ab work on rest days.

Until this year I'd been out of the gym for 4 years so was starting from the beginning again! I know there's a lot of room for improvement strength wise. Even for me these numbers are down on where I was 4 years ago!

Regardless of the above, if you are struggling to get past a 80kg deadlift. That suggests that your training could possibly improve. Whats your current routine look like

Ideally I'd like to get back to my January weight of 84/85kg before I started cutting. I'd obviously like to be stronger and more muscular than I was when at that weight back then.

I'm 75kg now and although I look leaner and more muscular, I'm a bit too light IMO. I'm quite broad so the extra weight looks more natural on me than my current weight.

A lot of people are saying I should get stronger (which makes sense) but I've a mentioned a few times that I'm really struggling to push on! I suppose the bulk is necessary to put back on the weight but I thought it might also help with building strength too.

Getting bigger is the main goal. The strength/numbers is definitely secondary for me.

At the moment I'm working out every other day.

Chest / Shoulders / Tris

Bench Press: 4x6 80kg
    Incline DB press: 3x8 25kg
    Military Press: 4x6 45kg
    Shrugs: 3x8 50kg
    Lat raises: 3x8 10kg
    Triceps Overhead Press: 25kg
    Dips: 3x10 either off bench of machine

Back / Bi's/ Legs

Pull-ups: 3x10 just body weight
    Deadlift: 4x6 80kg
    Bent over rows: 4x6 50kg
    Single arm rows: 3x10 15kg
    Barbell curls: 3x8 25kg
    Alternating DB curls: 3x10 12.5kg

Some ab work on rest days.

Until this year I'd been out of the gym for 4 years so was starting from the beginning again! I know there's a lot of room for improvement strength wise. Even for me these numbers are down on where I was 4 years ago!

Dude there's no one I know that has good size on them that aren't fairly strong and you're way off that.
    Sorry to say this but almost every female client I train deadlifts over 80kg. You don't squat or even do any solid looking leg work. Those movements can make a big difference to putting size

Last week you did 80kg 4x6 on the deadlift.
    What weight will be on the bar next session?

Mellor wrote: »
    Last week you did 80kg 4x6 on the deadlift.
    What weight will be on the bar next session?

I'd try and up the weight to 85kg, struggle through one set then form would break down and I'd have to go back to the previous weeks weight.

This is what's happening for most big lifts now.

** I also forgot to put squats down for my day 2 training!

Doing 3x8 @ 80kg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

Go on the bulk and start a strength programme - don't concern yourself with aesthetics for the moment.

No matter what your goal is - strength will help you get there.

Aim to build the squat to 100kg 5 x 5 & deadlift to 120kg+ 5x 5.

Honestly dude, you'll feel brand new when you see those numbers go up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement