Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do LC Honours Maths Regardless of what I get in the JC?!

• 01-09-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just started TY. The teacher said we will be divided into honours and pass when we get our results back. The teacher said you need at least a B to do higher level for the LC. The thing is I'm not great at maths. I did the higher level for the JC and I studied for it really hard (my most studied subject) and I'm expecting to definitely get at least a D in it. Maybe a C if I'm lucky.

I want to do computer science in ucd or trinity and higher level maths is a must for computer science in Trinity so I have to do higher level no matter what. I just can't do ordinary level and I won't allow it no matter what. I never want to do ordinary in any subject because I
    think it's pointless especially in maths (new grading scale, extra 25 points if lucky). If I do get placed in the ordinary class should I tell my parents to call the school or
    just move to a different school? And if my parents do ring the school will they let me do it?

Many people during the JC years moved up to higher with a simple phone call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Why don't you explain your situation to the principal or maths teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Higher level Maths is a requirement for Computer Science because there is a high Maths content in that course. Do you want to do such a course if Maths is a challenge for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TYBoy9991

Yes I do

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

TYBoy9991 wrote: »
    Yes I do

Good man. Being bad at something shouldn't stop you. Put the graft in and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

If you struggled in JC to get a D/C then the LC course will be extremely difficult for you. There is no rule nationally that stops you from doing it but most schools have that policy. If your starting TY perhaps talk to VP or Guidance counsellor about it and suggest that you intend to study a large part of the course this year to hit the ground running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

Do not dare let them Put you in ordinary if you need it for college. This could have such an impact on what route you go down into adulthood. Explain to the school your siuation. You can always drop down if things really get too much however i feel the fact you know what you want at that age you will no doubt have the spark, alacrity and motivation to do just fine in higher. Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Yes of course you can. Even if you got a D in the junior cert in honours you can still do honours maths for the leaving.

Have a chat with your maths teacher when the results are out are even before it. They can't force you out.

I'm pretty sure most colleges now have an entry exam even if you do pass maths.

My suggestion is if you struggle with it but in a large effort this year. Just concentrate on a couple of sections from one paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

All my kids got C in junior cert higher maths, had to spent alot of time to get this result but they all successfully argued their case in school to be permitted to try higher maths for leaving. Happily they each got C level result in leaving cert with this year's student got a H4. Once results come out (or maybe even before) explain your case to the year head and say you want to be given the opportunity to try higher level. If they are any bit reasonable at all they should give you the option to at least prove your ability. If not, that's when I'd involve your parents. There is a lot of growing up and maturing in the years after Jnr cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Got a C in the JC. Got a H4 in the leaving.

Advertisement