Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in Ireland after 5 years - car insurance a joke

Options
  • 01-09-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me or someone in my situation?

I left Ireland in 2011, with five years no claims driving experience here and abroad. I did not drive over there but drove rental cars during weekends away, that kind of thing, whereby my foreign credit card covered my car rental insurance. Essentially, I would not have gained any no claims bonuses in my time abroad.

Now, I'm back in Ireland for the past six months and struggling to find reasonable car insurance as I am starting back with 0 years no claims bonuses even though I've had my full Irish driving license for almost ten years with no accidents. Has anyone been in this situation, and if so what did you do?

Would appreciate any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

There isn't much you can do tbh. If your NCB is more than 2 years (I think), it runs out and you have to start from scratch... Ring around to see if any would entertain you, but I wouldn't expect much, technically, you have no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Yes, I was i that exact same situation, having worked abroad since graduation, driving company pool cars or rental cars - as was one of my colleagues. They suggested Liberty insurance. I grudginglu forked out over a grand to them as no one else would quote me, but one year later I was able to get a pretty good discount from 123, who I've been with for the past two years (not recommending them, just explaining :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me or someone in my situation?

I left Ireland in 2011, with five years no claims driving experience here and abroad. I did not drive over there but drove rental cars during weekends away, that kind of thing, whereby my foreign credit card covered my car rental insurance. Essentially, I would not have gained any no claims bonuses in my time abroad.

Now, I'm back in Ireland for the past six months and struggling to find reasonable car insurance as I am starting back with 0 years no claims bonuses even though I've had my full Irish driving license for almost ten years with no accidents. Has anyone been in this situation, and if so what did you do?

Would appreciate any input!

Went through this myself. 2011 and then 6 years without any car/insurance so when I got back on the road I got hit like I was a teenager (well not quite), a 2007 1.4 Nissan Note is costing e2000 (albeit including a 6% pay on the 'never never' charge to help my cash flow). There is nothing you can do, they'll allow a two year break but no longer regardless of how exemplary your history.

Advertisement