Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge gun problem and dealer not doing anything about it

Options
  • 01-09-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Havint posted in a while.
    As many of you may know I have had a problem with my .223 since day one.
    It is now at the stage where gun shop has had it several months now and is refusing to fix it. The excuses are ridiculous. Apparently there is no one to fix it. He says he has to send it off but that I have to pay for it all which by consumers rights I do not. This is the 3rd time in 2 years it's been back. He has also gotten quite threatening towards me on this.
    I just want my gun fixed or at least replaced with a gun of same calibre and value.
    He also said he sent it to a gunsmith but I got no written report on what is wrong. He basically just said the bolt is ****ed. The bolt was the problem both times he got it "fixed" before.
    I am now going to go with legal action. To which he basically laughed at me about.
    Any suggestions on what to do from here or just go ahead with legal action. I'd rather not tbh because it'll take months. I just want a replacement or my gun fixed and I know talking to several gun dealers and people here who are well informed that he has to fix it at his cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

small claims court, think its €25 and its worthwhile for a case like yours where the fault is has been admitted "bolt is broken" but the seller will not resolve the issue.
    It may take time, but the first letter that a claim has been submitted might be the kick the seller needs to just replace your gun with a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Jebus dodder I have never heard of a rifle bolt being knackered. What's the problem ? Did you buy the rifle new or used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gunny123 wrote: »
    Jebus dodder I have never heard of a rifle bolt being knackered. What's the problem ? Did you buy the rifle new or used ?

Bought second hand but told only 300 rounds went into it. It belonged to the dealer himself.
    I actually don't know what's wrong. It wouldn't recycle bullets and then firing pin stopped. Then was told it needs a new bolt.

Senna wrote: »
    small claims court, think its €25 and its worthwhile for a case like yours where the fault is has been admitted "bolt is broken" but the seller will not resolve the issue.
    It may take time, but the first letter that a claim has been submitted might be the kick the seller needs to just replace your gun with a new one.

That's what I'm hoping but he says he'll gladly go to court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

First thing you need to do is get your rifle back & take it to a gunsmith and ask him to write a report on it for you.

Present the report to the dealer you bought it from.

Is the gun still under manufacturer warranty?

What warranty did the dealer give you?

Document all the dealings with the dealer.

Consult a solicitor? May cost more than the rifle is worth :(

Small claims court may be cheapest & easiest option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bought second hand but told only 300 rounds went into it. It belonged to the dealer himself.
    WHOOP!! WHOOP!! WHOOP!!There goes the alarm klaxon!! A dealer that sells his own rifle and then refuses to retake it s a trade in or fix it??? 300 rounds and the bolt is buggered.Sounds like this guy was shooting some very hot loads out of it or the bolt head spacing was wrong or not heat treated properly from the word go. It sounds like he knowingly sold you a bill of defective goods as well..If that is/was the case he won't have a leg to stand on.Cevat Emptor[let the buyer beware] will not apply either unless he pointed out the faults to you and you accepted them when you laid the money down.IOW did you test fire the rifle before you bought it and it worked ok?Are you a layman?not a gun smith so you have to expect the rifle to keep working.
    TBH,get it back.Get a professionally accredited gunsmith here to look it over and give you a written report on the fault.Then maybe a solrs letter, should cost no more than a ton shop around and get some new guy hungry for business.To write to this dealer and take it from there.Small claims court, I don't think covers stuff over 500 euros value, so you might indeed be looking at legal counsel anyway.Even if he does refuse to honor the court finding ,you can still have a judgment outstanding registered against him or the company and everyone can read about in Stubbs Gazette.Which is none too helpful for credit or loans in the future.
    Another case for dealers and gunsmiths to be two separate entities and one a certified trade here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

That's what I'm hoping but he says he'll gladly go to court.

He is an idiot! and an idiot who has never heard the saying the customer is king or that a happy customer tells ten people an unhappy one tells a hundred!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Small Claims court...up to 2000 euro. Covers individuals who have bought from a business.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I asked you before can you cock the bolt out of the rifle.

This is from an old thread.

I had some trouble with the bolt getting stiff.It became so stiff that i could hardly open it after firing a shot.I contacted a gunsmith and he told me to take it apart and polish it with sandpaper.from 300 grade down to 2000 grade.Its cheap to buy so off i went and got it.I opened my bolt,there was some dirt in it but not too much and polished it and reasembled it.And it was still very stiff.When i cycled it in the gun I could hear a sqeak coming from it.It took me ages to figure out where it was coming from.It was coming from the gap between where the bolt handle piece met the bolt.So if you placed the bolt in front of you with the handle on the bottom right about half ways along the bolt where the bolt handle piece meets the bolt I put a drop of oil and when I say a drop I mean a drop.Never put any oil into the bolt.And low and behold you wouldn't believe the difference it made.It completely changed it,it was like new again.

• Advertisement

From what I remember John Galway had the exact same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i wouldnt go to the bolt with sandpaper... polish the wrong area for too long like the lugs and you could make the problem worse.
    it sound like a problem due to extreme excessive pressure as in amateur reloads or there is a problem with excessive headspace etc.. It could also be something very simple.
    I would take him to court that kind of messing is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

What county is this dealer located? I know a very good riflesmith but he's not in dublin

The bolt of a rifle is supposed to be slightly harder than the action body to prevent seizing and galling (This is common in a lot of engineering). If the bolt was case hardened and someone sanded through the hard case through to the soft steel beneath, than the steel of the bolt and action body smear together, especially under pressure and would make the bolt difficult to open.

A friend who used to operate a gunshop showed me a brand new Savage .22 bolt action one day. He asked me what i thought of it. The bolt was extremely difficult to operate and was like pulling a spoon through treacle. I reckoned the bolt was soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Name and shame the guy. Surprising how quick he will change his tune once word gets out about the way you have been treated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Name and shame the guy. Surprising how quick he will change his tune once word gets out about the way you have been treated

Not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Why not. Should this guy be allowed get away with the hassle he has put the OP through. I for one would like to know who this guy is so I don't part with any of my hard earned cash in his shop. I wouldn't buy a box of cartridges off him after his carry on

Two sides to every story, not that I doubt dodders version of events.

I have already informed the mods here that I won't be naming this rfd.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    He is an idiot! and an idiot who has never heard the saying the customer is king or that a happy customer tells ten people an unhappy one tells a hundred!

This guy doesn't seem to want to give a shît about his customers at all. I've heard from other people how he treats his customers. Now I know. He's kinda dodged me on this since day one. He told me I had two year warranty on the gun yet when it broke a second time he told me he didn't give me that long warranty on it. He's lied his hole way through. Not a professional and not a gunsmith. If you know if a good gunsmith could you pm me please. I'd love to take it to one. Thanks mate

• Advertisement

What county is this dealer operating from ?

What county is this dealer operating from ?

I can't say. I told the mods I wouldn't when I asked if I could start the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not being a dick, but i never understood that saying.

I'd rather someone gave an honest opinion and if the person or business they are discussing wants to reply they can do so. Its up to people after that as to whom they choose to believe.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Not a good idea.
    Two sides to every story, not that I doubt dodders version of events.
    Dodder done the right thing and ran this past the Mods before posting and we told him the forum is about all discussion and reviews. That means positive and negative. I know some forums don't allow criticism because those running it have financial or business interests so do not allow negative discussion of certain businesses or brands. We have no such issues/loyalties. If the dealer wishes he come on here and give his side or not.

The Mods will monitor all such threads for any "over the line" comments, but other than that is' fair game.
    If you know if a good gunsmith could you pm me please. I'd love to take it to one. Thanks mate
    I think, and its only my opinion, that this is a terrible idea.

Even the dealer sending it to a gunsmith was the wrong thing to do. The rifle should go back to the manufacturer. Any work carried out by anyone other than the manufacturer will void any warranty.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This guy doesn't seem to want to give a shît about his customers at all.

Tried to send you a PM...You need to empty the ol inbox of your mails .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I have already informed the mods here that I won't be naming this rfd.

Get a spine and name him.

rsole1 wrote: »
    Get a spine and name him.

The name will be deleted and the thread locked, so a pointless request. I know two dealers that fit the description, which is why i asked what county the "dealer" is in. One has all the charm and grace of a rabid sewer rat, and if i were forced to use him, would pack in shooting immediately. I fully expect that he's the guy.

Was it working properly when you bought it.

Was it working properly when you bought it.

Was ok for a week and the bullets he gave me jammed in it. Cheap Russian Shiite. It's been dodgy since day one. My threads can confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Where you bought it, and who they are now are different. So the old one doesn't exist to feel the Wrath Of The Mod God's 😂😂

• Advertisement

Was ok for a week and the bullets he gave me jammed in it. Cheap Russian Shiite. It's been dodgy since day one. My threads can confirm it.

How many shots did you fire before the bolt started giving problems. Just because the bullets are jamming in it does not mean it's a problem with the bolt.

Was it feeding problems or extraction problems.

Advertisement