Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge gun problem and dealer not doing anything about it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Also, did you try some different ammo?There are some guns that will not, just not, work properly with steel cases.As well what brand of gun is this?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Was ok for a week and the bullets he gave me jammed in it. Cheap Russian Shiite. It's been dodgy since day one. My threads can confirm it.

If was functioning properly for a week what happened in that space of time that it started to malfunction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sounds like a rough or ringed chamber to me, that leads to extraction problems as the case grips the chamber walls and cannot be freed. Has the rifle been rebarrelled or rechambered ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just because the bullets are jamming in it does not mean it's a problem with the bolt..
    In his opening post he says the gunsmith the RFD sent the rifle to claimed the bolt was fecked. So it's not just the RFD saying this, its whatever gunsmith he used.
    He also said he sent it to a gunsmith but I got no written report on what is wrong. He basically just said the bolt is ****ed. The bolt was the problem both times he got it "fixed" before.
    Regardless of the ammo ran through the gun or what the fault is the issue lies with the RFD not honoring a sales contract or the 1980 consumer rights.

The rifle should never have been sent to a "gunsmith". It should have been returned to the manufacturer as any outside work will void any warranty.

The RFD, according to the description by Dodder, has done everything wrong. A common problem i've seen umpteen times with Irish businesses. They don't understand the legal responsibilities and the "sure it'll be grand" attitude is all fine and well until something goes wrong.

i've been in a similar situation and the RFD tried a similar line of bullsh*t, but that was quickly snuffed out. The problem is we're always at the mercy of the RFD. We need them fro returns, warranty, shipping, repairs, etc. They like to take money, but don't want to know you after the sale.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was ok for a week and the bullets he gave me jammed in it. Cheap Russian Shiite. It's been dodgy since day one. My threads can confirm it.

Have you any of that Russian ammo, or the boxes it came in?

• Advertisement

The gunsmith could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    The rifle should never have been sent to a "gunsmith". It should have been returned to the manufacturer as any outside work will void any warranty.

I'm certainly not a legal head so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt. These are just my thoughts.

Would there be a manufacturer warranty on the gun, seeing as the gun is second hand?

There would have been an original warranty between the manufacturer and whoever first bought the gun. I don't think this warranty is transferrable once the goods are sold on. I think the shop owner claimed that he used the gun himself. Once the shop owner used the gun himself, the warranty contract would be between the manufacturer and the shop owner.

And even if there is a warranty and it is transferrable, I'm sure it would be time related (2 year warranty for example). How old is the gun? When was it first sold by the manufacturer? These are all import questions that determine if the manufacturer has any responsibility to fix the problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Would there be a manufacturer warranty on the gun, seeing as the gun is second hand?
    I'm in the same boat as yourself regarding consumer law, and as i said to Dodder a few times anything i say is my opinion.

However all goods sold come with some sort of warranty. How many times have you seen a sale and the store will tell you there is no warranty on sale goods. It's tosh.

Now who is liable for that warranty, i don't know. If there was an existing fault with the rifle then the RFD could have the manufacturer validate the warranty. If not then there is still, not a warranty, but a responsibility on the RFD to sell goods of sellable and suitable condition. Maybe not a warranty in legal terms, but still a legal responsibility according to the 1980 consumer act.

My comments about having a third party examine the gun are related to the fact that if any warranty exists it'll be voided by the use of a third party and not the manufacturer. Look at Remington. They sell an aftermarket trigger for their rifle, but on the fine print it says if it's installed by anyone other than a Remington agent then the entire rifle's warranty is void. So you buy their rifle, their new trigger and install it yourself (which frankly a blindfolded chimp could do) and now you have no warranty.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ASFIK, buying 2nd hand from a vendor still gives you a six-month warranty.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-goods/buying-second-hand-goods/

uying second-hand goods

When you buy a second-hand item from someone in business, you have similar rights to when you buy a new item. However, your rights very much depend on how much you paid for the item.

Any item you buy, including a second-hand item, must be fit for the purpose it has been sold for. It must also be as described to you, and the quality must be of an expected level, given the price you paid.

However you cannot expect second-hand goods to be of the same standard as new products.

Second-hand goods are “sold as seen”, so there may be some fault, imperfection or wear and tear. You need to examine the item carefully and ask the seller to point out any damage or imperfections. Make sure the item does what it is expected to do. For example, if it is a second-hand television set, check that the picture and sound are working correctly, the reception is clear and the remote control works as it should.

For some items, for example, jewellery or antique furniture, you should get an expert opinion before you decide to buy. With second-hand cars, you should follow our checklist on how to check out a car.

If the item turns out to be faulty, you have the right to return it to the business you bought it from and ask for a replacement, a repair or a refund.[/I] So Dodder is in the legal clear there, unless he had an expert gunsmith along for a 2nd opinion]

Warranty would usually be 12/24 months.And is transferable, ASFIK from the original buyer to other buyers within the time period of the warranty.

BUT the elephant in the room is, why won't the dealer repair or replace?Even if it was his personal gun, he could have sent it back for replacement/repair under either damaged stock and /or customer repair?I THEORISE he[dealer] did something to utterly invalidate the warranty, and/or let his local "Mikey Joes Engineering& gunsmith works." [ Barrel threading and cattle crushes a speciality!: eek:] have a crack at fixing it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Is this the 223 that you were putting 5.56 up the spout?
    I know some rifles that handle both but some wont .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If was functioning properly for a week what happened in that space of time that it started to malfunction.

I put 30 round through it of ammo giving to me by the rfd. Said they're great cheap rounds and that's when it started to cause problems. I never went back to them rounds and bought the Remington 55gr hp and fmj and after 50 rounds started to act up again. It's been back to RFD 3 times. I love the gun. When it was ok it was great gun. But it came to the point where it was dangerous to shoot. Got a black eye one day over it. No matter the round or manufacturer of the ammo it wasn't right from day one. I just want my 223 back or a gun of same calibre and price.

Out of curiosity can you cock the bolt out of the rifle. Presuming that it can normally be done. I don't know your rifle or the normal function of the bolt but the few rifles I have owned I could cock them in my hand.

I put the Remington 55gr hp and fmj and after 50 rounds started to act up again. It's been back to RFD 3 times. I love the gun. When it was ok it was great gun. But it came to the point where it was dangerous to shoot. Got a black eye one day over it.

That sounds like the headspace is going to Hell.Which is usually a bolt face problem which hasn't been treated or isn't seating properly. If you can get a set of "Go/NO go/Field" shells this will tell you immediately.These are solid "bullets" machined exactly to the tolerances of a given caliber the No go and field are slightly different.Drop the shells into the chamber and close the action.If it closes on the NO Go.You have a problem with either an expanded chamber or an out of spec headspace. GO, everything is as it should be. FIELD. is used to test the absolute safe minimum for "field"usage.

From Brownells website
    headspace Gauges
    Headspace is measured with a set of two headspace gauges: a “Go” gauge, and a “No-Go” gauge. Headspace gauges resemble the cartridges for the chambers they are designed to headspace, and are typically made of heat-treated tool steel. Both a “Go” and a “No-Go” gauge are required for a gunsmith to headspace a firearm properly. A third gauge, the “Field” gauge, is used (as the name implies) in the field to indicate the absolute maximum safe headspace. This gauge is used because, over time, the bolt and receiver will wear, the bolt and lugs compress, and the receiver may stretch, all causing the headspace to gradually increase from the “factory specs” measured by the “Go” and “No-Go” gauges. A bolt that closes on “No-Go” but not on “Field” is close to being unsafe to fire, and may malfunction on cartridges that are slightly out of spec.

So next question is.
    How many rounds did your friend put thru it before he sold it to you? And what exactly did he shoot?5.56 or .223?

Did he knowingly sell it to you with a serious fault in it?

Was this before or after he had a gunsmith look or tinker with it?

If the problem started when he owned the gun, why didn't he return it under warranty to the manufacturer or as defective stock?

Are there any proof marks on the gun?Be interesting to see if this slipped past a proof house, or if it was in proof when passed to the wholesaler.

Would say you really need a competent gunsmith to give you a written report on this gun and then take legal advice on this .you have been sold a duff bill of goods for some reason.

Advertisement