Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Very good start to the season; just before half six, 150 paces into a 350 acre tillage farm this lad was out for a feed accompanied by a doe and a calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

waidmannsheil!:) Good to taking out a damaged head as well.One lopsided head on that fellah.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    waidmannsheil!:) Good to taking out a damaged head as well.One lopsided head on that fellah.

Waidmannsdank Grizzly. That antler was actually fractured and somehow stayed attached. Otherwise he was in prime condition with a good layer of fat on him. While I drove home to get the wheelbarrow and press ganged some muscle my mate couldn't resist his curiosity and opened the stomach, near bursting full of wheat so he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I swear the ducks know its opening day.

All have vanished, despite having been around for the past few days!

Ah well - plenty of time left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Myself and a friend of mine had these 2 down by 7.30 with plenty about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

First of the season. 50m 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Irish Springer 12G

Well lads, I headed off on my own with Cassie the 1st at first light. Went to my local river where it's always good for duck, it's about 7km walk. Lovely fog at the start hid me fairly well. First corner where I normally meet duck there was a pair that were gone as quick as I saw them. Then a field later maybe the same two spotted me from a good distance and rose again in another hot corner. Thinking there would hardly be more duck there I didn't check it and crossed the river down stream, As I slid off the bank and in to the water Cassie pulled to my left and up got 4 mallard and I tried to clip them on my tippy toes as there was a bank in my way, but they flew on. I thought to myself "this is not going to be my day". But I went on. 2 more fields later a pair broke from right to left no more then 20 yards ahead, I pulled on to the furthest one and was so confident as I pulled the trigger I had being looking at the second mallard, pulled onto him but missed him clean with my remaining 2 shots. And because I had taken my eye off the first duck pulling the trigger I barely clipped him and Cassie had a good 20 mins looking for him as he was diving and flapping down along the shallows. As we finally got him on the bank another 7 mallard got up with all my roaring and giving out, they flew directly over me and I was caught on the hop again. We went on....
    Another few mins later I met a loner and pulled a nice shot as he went behind the tree but I pulled where I thought he was going and down he came. Cassie made a bit of a meal out of the retrieve but we got him in the end. 2 Duck I was beaming considering I should have had a few more. Another short time later as I approached a passage with a bridge on my left, Cassie was hunting the river and up got 4/5 mallard a good distance from me. I picked one and it was a hit and hope shot but down he came, pulled on to a second mallard and down he came too. A nice double at a long way out.... Cassie had two handy retrieves out on the green field. 4 Mallard and I was near the end of the normal walk and had only one shell left I said I might as well check the last corner. Just as I got about 30 yards from the corner up got another lone duck and down she came. A nice retrieve from Cassie and back to the van we went.

1st
    20170901_074656_zpspapwrsfq.jpg

2nd
    20170901_082851_zpse6bjevbf.jpg

3rd & 4th
    20170901_080623_zpsvnmvnsrp.jpg

Final bag for the morning
    20170901_091802_zpsjujwq8t1.jpg

Proud Cassie
    20170901_091816_zpstqfvzefo.jpg

Went out with Oddie for a run after 7 as I was needed at home all day over stupid broadband company. Went to another river and had a run in with a bull which resulted in me flying head first into bramble. Got ourselves up and headed on when we could. Met 2 lads from the gun club further down the river so we headed up to a pond close enough to the river and the 3 of us walked in on it spread out, up got 3 mallard and we shot 2 out of the 3. Oddie pulled off 2 great retrieves as she hadn't marked them because she was in the reeds as the shots were pulled but she didn't leave us down. Had a good chat and I hit for a pond I had been feeding over the summer. Nearly dusk and I shot 1 out of 2 mallard which broke. A handy retrieve for Oddie. I went to the last pond of the evening and sat with my nephew and Oddie till dark with no birds coming in.
    What a 1st of September I had. 8 Mallard shot and all retrieved. You can't ask for much more.

Oddie
    20170901_194855_zpsm4lzgslb.jpg

Final bag minus 1
    20170901_212306_zpstmhixjy4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

nice haul

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Good write up, thanks for that and well done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

zlezlius wrote: »
    First of the season. 50m 7am.

Waidmannsheil..And congrats on showing the German hunters tradition of the "last bite" for the fallen game in the picture.In case anyone thought you shot the deer while he was eating a pine tree,.Its not the case.This is a tradition that you give the animal its last bite on Earth so that its spirit travels freely and not hungry to the next world.
    Legend has it that in the next world when we all arrive at the final judgement, all the animals we have ever hunted or owned, may speak in favour of us as honourable hunters and owners or damn us to Hell.So no point in taking chances..:)
    The twig covering the entrance shot is a new one to me on a stag/buck.That's usually reserved for cows& calves?
    All part of your German hunting test folks.And we haven't even discussed on how the last bite is presented to the hunter and what noble trees are to be used for it as well..:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement