Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos & Certified Pre - Owned Phones

Options
  • 01-09-2017 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7420511/c_1/1|category_root|Office,+PCs+and+phones|14418968/Trail/searchtext>Iphone.htm

Just curious on this one. I remember they used sell official Apple refurbished iPhones and despite only offering a 1 year warranty them, Apple used cover it hassle free into year 2 and I know Argos had repairs and replacements done into year 2 when people hit them with the minimum EU 2 year warranty on new or refurbished like new, I know Ireland offers 7 years but don't know anyone ever claiming after 2 or so years.

I'm wondering would Argos legally get away with only a 1 year warranty by certifying them as "pre owned" despite claiming to have them checked to teh highest standard by using a 3rd party service rather than officially Refurbished by Apple?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

sugarman wrote: »
    You have the same rights as buying new, you'd still be entitled to a repair, replacement and refund beyond a year.

Consumer law would be on your side if they didnt play ball if anything ever did happen to the device through no fault of yours.

Just wondering how its covered if you wouldn't mind explaining a little please?

They not only have them labelled as "pre owned" but go to pains to point out
    We have also carried out in-depth cosmetic inspection of the product to ensure that it's of a high quality, but, as it is a used device, it may exhibit some small signs of wear and tear.

This is not a refurbished model, it is a pre-owned device with original Apple parts.

In fact given they claim to check it over and ensure it meets the highest standards technically that would be refurbished no matter what they'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Essentially, you have exactly the same rights when buying second hand goods from a business, as you do when buying a new item. But moderated for the fact that the item is second hand

Link

Note that this does not apply when buying second hand from a private seller. That's caveat emptor

Advertisement