Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

“The average woman spends £95.94 on make-up💄and £162.52 on their nails💅 annually.”

That must explain why they have a higher earning potential than men when they're childless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I must say that I support the feminists and I think everyone else should too.

Regardless of anything else you might say, they do all have lovely bottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭iptba

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/your-wellness/2022/06/29/i-didnt-realise-that-my-wife-spent-more-than-20ooo-on-cosmetic-work

Wasn't sure what thread to post this is in:

‘I didn’t realise that my wife spent more than €20,000 on cosmetic work’

Tell Me About It: ‘I’m not annoyed about the procedures, I’m just sad she did not discuss them with me’

[..]

she admitted she had spent more than €20,000 on different procedures over the past while. I know that I should have noticed and of course I have no objection to her doing what she wishes with her body, that is not my business, nor is it my issue.

My difficulty is that over the past two years, when she was getting this work done, we had both been laid off work and when surviving on the PUP we struggled financially. I knew she had some money from an inheritance put away but at one point when we were unable to buy the family groceries or our growing son clothes, I suggested we dip into her money. She refused, saying it was her inheritance and that she had plans.

You said your wife had this money as a result of inheritance, so the first inquiry might be to discover the meaning money had in her family of origin. For many women in the past, having money to spend on themselves was not an option and for your wife to have a nest egg of her own might have meant a level of freedom and independence that meant a lot to her.

I don't know definitively what is or is not acceptable or understandable in a situation like this. But I dislike this angle that because women didn't have much money to spend on themselves in the past, that somehow excuses the actions of a woman at this moment in time especially given presumably this type of justification wouldn't be available to a man.

Swimsuit cursing

Chrissie Russell did something this week that she hasn't done for many, many years. Something that predates even the pandemic. She went swimsuit shopping, got stuck in a series of one-pieces in various changing rooms, and emerged sweaty and furious and cursing the patriarchy. (Premium)

----------

I did something this week that I haven’t done for many, many years. Something that predates even the pandemic. I went swimsuit shopping.

Actually, to be entirely accurate, I went swimsuit shopping, got stuck in a series of one-pieces in various changing rooms, and emerged sweaty and furious and cursing the patriarchy.

I’m pretty sure it’s their fault. It usually is.

[..]

When I spoke about it to a stylist, she confirmed that the manufacturing standard assumes a ratio of ‘two inches smaller bust to hip’, “but about 80pc of women don’t fit that standard”, she added.

Is that not crazy? Is it too much to ask to be able to walk into a shop and see clothes that are actually made for a variety of shapes and sizes? If you’re a certain age and a certain size, are swimsuit shopping options really only ‘ass out’ or ‘tummy tame’ because, honestly, I’m just not buying it.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/im-in-my-forties-and-a-16-the-most-common-dress-size-so-why-cant-i-find-a-swimsuit-for-my-body-shape-41802383.html

It's not 100% clear whether she believes the supposed patriarchy is to blame for the lack of what she considers suitable swimwear. I have no idea what the justification for such a view is. I imagine that it is mainly women who are responsible for the selection of swimwear available. If was a patriarchy, I'm not sure why they would care to much about this.

Post edited by iptba on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A mate of mine & other mates wife where having an argument the weekend

She was saying how women should be paid the same as men in sport & he was having none of it pointing out your paid depending on how good you are and how much you bring to the table in terms of fan's and sponsorship ,Pointing out men against men are paid hugely different sums of money depending on this criteria so women are no different ,

He was clearly winning the argument & being very respectful at the same time so she all of a sudden switched tact & called him a women hater & that's why he can't hold down a long term girlfriend , His reply was glorious he said,

He said " You call me a women hater, well here's a fantastic stat for you ,100% of the people i have ever made love to in my life are women , so how do you work that out " ... i have to say it was brilliantly delivered ,

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/even-feminists-succumb-to-sexist-wedding-traditions-41921939.html

Defenders of Affleck’s new name have taken a similar tack. “True feminism means each and every woman has the freedom to make her own choices, J-Lo included,” tweeted one. A writer in Image magazine said: “Feminism revolves around equality, and a woman’s freedom to make decisions as she sees fit.”

You get the idea. Feminism is about choice – therefore, Affleck’s choice must be feminist.

No, sorry. It’s the opposite.

Every choice to conform to sexist social norms makes it harder for other women to choose otherwise. Every woman who has plastic surgery or Botox or gets her hair dyed or, yes, changes her name, makes it harder for other women not to.

Some argue that what matters is how a woman feels, not what she does. “The non-feminist likely shaves because she feels that she has to for others,” explains one blogger, “while the feminist will shave because she wants to do it for herself.”

Even though I appreciated the way sharing a single name turns a couple into a family, I objected to the fact that no one expects the man to “make sacrifices” – as J-Lo described it in 2003 – to create that family. Very few men do. So I didn’t. But still, as a feminist, I faltered many times on the way toward the aisle. I lost weight for my wedding, shaved my underarms, wore heels, lipstick and virginal white.

I imagine women make an effort to look nice on their wedding day at least partly for themselves.

It is good to have more rigour in science.

But when this showed up on my Facebook feed I was struck by how negative the betrayal of males was in the first paragraph of this post which isn't from the article under discussion and I am left wondering whether they would have portrayed females in this way.

---

St Andrews Radical Feminists

https://www.facebook.com/StARadFems/posts/pfbid0tbGLzFwg9kQbkGbduNjEPC6V2Y9Y3fyXNg8y46eAVMVfrZ9VUfKLbLP3RijmuAocl

#SexMatters Humans and other animals evolved and each sex had different characteristics and behaviours, many animals have very good reasons to be scared of males. Males can sense and smell the hormones and biological markers of other males as a threat to territory, their offspring etc. And as competition. Females sense males as a threat of assault, rape, threat to their offspring etc. Pretending like none of this is true may skew laboratory results when testing drugs on mammals etc.

"The sex of the researcher can influence results of mouse experiments

Ketamine appears to be more effective as an antidepressant in mouse experiments if they are conducted by a male researcher, raising questions about other studies in mice

This article has been viewed 229 times in the last 24 hours.

LIFE 8 September 2022

By Jonathan Moens

Laboratory mice tend to be more stressed when they can smell men, making them behave differently in experiments depending on whether they are handled by a man or a woman. The finding raises important questions about past research using mice, since animal studies generally don’t control for an experimenter’s sex...."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2337160-the-sex-of-the-researcher-can-influence-results-of-mouse-experiments

Post edited by iptba on

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

"...Just looked it up and no, affect is not used in the form of a noun..."

Where are you getting this wrong information?

Advertisement