Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After a one year lease

Options
  • 01-09-2017 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could advise. My lease (one year, pretty standard type) will be coming to an end, and the landlord suggested when I moved in that if we were both happy, I could just continue afterwards without signing a new lease (I'm guessing as we will both all be covered by part 4 or whatever it's called).

So, question is: if everyone is happy at the end of the lease, and I stay on, will the landlord be able to increase the rent? I remember there being talk of a 2 year freeze in rent increases. Has this stopped? Possibly replaced by the 4% cap I've heard about.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where are you? Inside a RPZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Achasanai wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could advise. My lease (one year, pretty standard type) will be coming to an end, and the landlord suggested when I moved in that if we were both happy, I could just continue afterwards without signing a new lease (I'm guessing as we will both all be covered by part 4 or whatever it's called).

So, question is: if everyone is happy at the end of the lease, and I stay on, will the landlord be able to increase the rent? I remember there being talk of a 2 year freeze in rent increases. Has this stopped? Possibly replaced by the 4% cap I've heard about.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Are you in a RPZ and when did your lease start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Where are you? Inside a RPZ?
    Askthe EA wrote: »
    Are you in a RPZ and when did your lease start?

Yep, in an RPZ and lease started in January this year. Apologies, should have made that clearer.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Yep, in an RPZ and lease started in January this year. Apologies, should have made that clearer.

Since your lease commenced in Jan, the LL is entitled to raise your rent by 4% next year. They may not of course but unfortunately, with the slap LLs who had their tenants below market rent got, any LL would be mad not to. Unintended consequence of the legislation changes.

This doesn't affect your part 4 rights.

Since your lease commenced in Jan, the LL is entitled to raise your rent by 4% next year. They may not of course but unfortunately, with the slap LLs who had their tenants below market rent got, any LL would be mad not to. Unintended consequence of the legislation changes.

This doesn't affect your part 4 rights.

Grand so, good to know.

• Advertisement

Since your lease commenced in Jan

Just on this, if I had signed the lease in December, how would the situation be different?

If you had signed prior to 24th Dec, the 2 year review free period would apply.

Thanks. Appreciate your time & help.

Advertisement