Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estuary Duck Tips

Options
  • 01-09-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum, but not to hunting, although I still have plenty to learn and am always looking at new ways to enjoy the great sport of shooting in its many forms.
    Over the years it has mainly been pheasants in my area, with the odd excitement of a duck now and again. Last year we explored some flight ponds and feeding them with good sport had from it. This year, however, I have my foreshore licence, boat and want to get into some serious duck shooting.
    The closest spot to us is River Suir estuary in Kilkenny, and also across on the Barrow, so I would love to know a little bit about the duck shooting on estuaries. Does anyone here have any tips or advice? What can I expect to find on an estuary such as that? Is it necessary to decoy or is it more about shooting flightlines?
    I have lots of questions and would really appreciate any advice or feedback.
    Bets of luck to all over the weekend on the ducks! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

Hello ,
    a few tips for you from somebody who lives 5 mins from an estuary and has shot it for over 40 yrs.
    I have not shot the Barrow or Suir , but I am familiar with them .

Well firstly safety . Mud and Tides Kill , its as simple as that . Get to know your river and foreshore , plan a way out if things go wrong , such as a higher tide than forecast and lower pressure than Met eirean told you about . In fact I would not use their forecasts AT ALL. The government have interfered with forecasting trying to influence citizen behaviour . Result is , v bad forecasts that do not materialise and very bad weather when not forecast .

Flight line or decoy ?, well both work at times . For flight lines you need to be lucky or know your birds habits well . IE where's the feeding nearby , ponds , lakes , flooded corn fields , are they frozen , do the birds move to the coast in freezes or to the faster flowing river ? .

Decoys ?, well again if you just pick any old spot to throw out some dekes , you may not get a visit . Pick a sheltered spot , shallow water near a bend or reed bed for starters .Buy a call or 2 , practice , do not over call your passing birds . 4 -6 Dekes is enough to haul for a start , say 4 Teal and 2 Wegion . If you have Mallard in the Area , get a few of those , but on the coast if Mallard are going to come in then they will do , dekes or no dekes .
    Teal and Wegion decoy well and will be your main species , others you may encounter will be , Shoveller , Pintail, Gadwall and the odd Tufted , if you have a few gravel pits lakes around maybe a Pochard , not something we get down here though I have shot the others mentioned above .

Get a light portable hide. Hide rules - ducks about Keep still , stop adjusting to the ducks flight as they approach , don't Move or Move then shoot , Move and shoot all in one Motion when in range , wait.
    Always keep your face covered , I use a light mask , believe me a little white face has saved many a Ducks butt.
    Unless you have a good dog . do not bother venturing out onto the mud , you will only end up frustrated .
    On a calm day if you drop a winged bird your dog may get him no bother , on a windy day , tide falling fast , that bird has the advantage , finish it with a 2nd shot on the water , before sending the dog out or you will loose a winged duck , biggest sin you will commit .

So far this year it is a very poor Duck year , to mild slow Migration of Wegion and Teal so pray the winter comes soon .
    Good luck and be safe .

Advertisement