Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

That will do Pig that will do ............

434637.png

Hi.. What does the above chart show? is that E/SE winds?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Hi.. What does the above chart show? is that E/SE winds?

Sorry it just the dam lines and 850 temps , I should of posted up another chart to show , but it the guts of a channel low , a real battleground that could dump lots of white gold , I will grab another chart to better show what Im on about

EDIT
    Blizzard has posted below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Nice snowstorm for the South/South east here, Let's get this to +24hrs... :D

gfs-0-264.png?12

gfs-2-264.png?12

Steady as she goes up to +120hrs on the ECM

ECMOPNH12_120_1.png

Different evolution days 6 and 7- euro Heights our downfall. Hopefully not a new trend.

Last night the UKMO was the bad one, ECM this evening. Hopefully the GFS/UKMO has this one right now.

• Advertisement

And yet we somehow snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by day 9, a recurring theme lately. Fantastic day 10 chart -

ECMOPNH12_240_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Following the analysis of these charts with interest, thanks to everyone who posts and gives their opinions on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

In 9 days time it will be snowing... everyday but not on the day

Isnt that what FI is?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Silence speaks for everything again ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Indeed, nothing interesting in the charts at the moment, people talking about all sorts of possibilities but it's all in FI so it has 0% credibility and as the charts approach a reliable timeframe there is nothing of note or interesting.

When all the good charts stay in FI territory and consistently don't make to a reliable timeframe then the signs are bad for a decent cold spell anytime soon.

• Advertisement

kod87 wrote: »
    Indeed, nothing interesting in the charts at the moment, people talking about all sorts of possibilities but it's all in FI so it has 0% credibility and as the charts approach a reliable timeframe there is nothing of note or interesting.

Couldn’t agree more , people get too hyped for something which is way out , pointless !

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

1391200819_movie_character_faceoff.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Couldn’t agree more , people get too hyped for something which is way out , pointless !

but it's still fun to imagine the 'what ifs' when looking at the eye candy nonsense that FI throws out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The thread literally has "Fantasy Island" in the title, let people hype all they want in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

MJohnston wrote: »
    The thread literally has "Fantasy Island" in the title, let people hype all they want in here.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=5050589

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could be a mild wave in 7-8 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MJohnston wrote: »

I think it's a case of Snowbiee can't help but reading, and has crushing disappointment when the charts don't come off :)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I think it's a case of Snowbiee can't help but reading, and has crushing disappointment when the charts don't come off :)

Nope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

-8 uppers on Wednesday Thursday and Friday. Relax peeps. It's fantastic chart reading and encouraging compared to the last few winters.
    One or 2 small down grades is not the end of a scenario.

kod87 wrote: »

When all the good charts stay in FI territory and consistently don't make to a reliable timeframe then the signs are bad for a decent cold spell anytime soon.

To be honest if you don't find the charts interesting at the moment and of late (assuming you like cold weather) then I don't think you would ever find them interesting. A projected strat warming, Completely absent polar vortex, blocked off atlantic, already considerable northern blocking, a highly amplified NH pattern, very low AO and low NAO, favorable enso conditions, a sleeping sun - These are just some of the reasons the charts in FI might be worth taking note of more than usual.

I find Cold northerlys with -7/-8C upper temps interesting anyway and that's not in FI (tis short lived this time though)

You have to realise that the troposphere and stratosphere are interconnected - high pressure ridging deep into Greenland at this time of year can cause very favorable developments for us going forward. This is already happening - likewise, the potential minor warming over Canada should also have positive impacts down the line. Might do a more detailed post on this when I have time.

Of course this thread is still in Fantasy Island after all and that should be self explanatory in itself. Take everything after +120hrs with a pinch of salt - it is interesting to see how many good possibilities are on the table this year, much better than the usual endless mild wet muck I think.

These coming weeks and winter might end up being one to forget, the odds of that are lower than normal though.

Remember it's still Autumn, it's only just turned the 28th Of November - winter hasn't even started...

• Advertisement

GFS messy again this morning, UKMO much better at +120 and +144hrs. High looks like it's getting sucked into Greenland - no messy short waves on southern tip ala GFS.

UN144-21.GIF?28-05

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Polar vortex fighting back with a vengeance on 0z ECM and GFS charts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A very upsetting 00z EC for coldies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The inevitable downgrades this morning but did we expect anything else. I've learned over the years to believe nothing beyond 96hrs. Hopefully our chances will improve in the second half of December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Very disappointing models alright. But the switched from good to bad was so quick there is always a chance they can flip back to good again.. then bad,then good, then bad, then ninja snow on Christmas day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

The models are still looking good for lack of rainfall.
    Getting milder this weekend up till Wednesday or Thursday with associated rain but overall and after that more HP than LP.

Iceland might get a storm from this evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    To be honest if you don't find the charts interesting at the moment and of late (assuming you like cold weather) then I don't think you would ever find them interesting. A projected strat warming, Completely absent polar vortex, blocked off atlantic, already considerable northern blocking, a highly amplified NH pattern, very low AO and low NAO, favorable enso conditions, a sleeping sun - These are just some of the reasons the charts in FI might be worth taking note of more than usual.

I find Cold northerlys with -7/-8C upper temps interesting anyway and that's not in FI (tis short lived this time though)

You have to realise that the troposphere and stratosphere are interconnected - high pressure ridging deep into Greenland at this time of year can cause very favorable developments for us going forward. This is already happening - likewise, the potential minor warming over Canada should also have positive impacts down the line. Might do a more detailed post on this when I have time.

Of course this thread is still in Fantasy Island after all and that should be self explanatory in itself. Take everything after +120hrs with a pinch of salt - it is interesting to see how many good possibilities are on the table this year, much better than the usual endless mild wet muck I think.

These coming weeks and winter might end up being one to forget, the odds of that are lower than normal though.

Remember it's still Autumn, it's only just turned the 28th Of November - winter hasn't even started...

Only a small handful of runs all week actually showed anything interesting and it was always will into the future, most were just a repeat of last Thursday at best with high ground snow in the North. Slack northerlies this early in the season aren't going to do much

The outlook hasn't really changed that much anyway, it should still be mostly dry and settled which will do me for now, just a few degrees milder than was being forecast a couple of days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Only a small handful of runs all week actually showed anything interesting and it was always will into the future, most were just a repeat of last Thursday at best with high ground snow in the North. Slack northerlies this early in the season aren't going to do much

The outlook hasn't really changed that much anyway, it should still be mostly dry and settled which will do me for now, just a few degrees milder than was being forecast a couple of days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah the ol warm December on the cards once more

We must be at the bottom of the rollercoaster

Oh look theres another hill ahead!!!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement