Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPSV test Dublin

• 01-09-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Ok, so I took my third test today in Greenhills and failed again. I'm up to 96% Industry Knowledge, but cannot budge past 70% for Dublin Area Knowledge. The questions are so random and obscure, I'm sure it's fixed so no one gets through. Has anyone seen any figures on pass/fail rates? I feel I'm wasting money (270 quid so far), and time doing this. :rolleyes:

Anyone?

regards,
    QDM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I paid 320 to a chap to come to my house and teach me. My first test I got 65%. I did 4 more tests after that and the highest I got was 73% (overall). AFAIK the foreign nationals only need 60% to pass. I gave up after hearing insurance was hitting 10grand per year for some!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rummy85

Hi lads
    I passed the test last week.
    Fourth go.
    I've recorded all questions
    I'd be happy to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rummy85

Rummy85 wrote: »
    Hi lads
    Fourth go.

And for your info
    It's 80% for everyone

Don't believe the bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john10101

Hi plase cound you email me the record question about spsv test of dublin sincerely MArco my e m a i l is : M A R C O 2 3 4 5 6 7 G M A I L C O M .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hi lads
    Fourth go.

Ive sent you a private message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 stingray555

Good news to all of you SPSV Entry test candidates. The pass mark has been lowered from 80% to 75%. Also module split introduced. Not sure when this will come into effect, but i would wait until it does before booking another test! Good luck! Here is the link:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/latest-news-for-spsv-operators-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Good news to all of you SPSV Entry test candidates. The pass mark has been lowered from 80% to 75%. Also module split introduced. Not sure when this will come into effect, but i would wait until it does before booking another test! Good luck! Here is the link:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/latest-news-for-spsv-operators-2/

No use to me now.. I failed it twice on 76%

• Registered Users Posts: 3 embev2

I did the test in Greenhills last Thursday and passed both modules first time. It is possible to pass it but requires alot of work. I did no training course either. Worth mentioning that I did the old taxi test 10 years ago, and passed that first time. I drove for a couple of years but stopped when the recession hit in 2009. My takings literally halved. I studied for 6 weeks before the test date this time. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hi lads
    Fourth go.

Hy, have you still got the recording of the spsv test, i would like to have a look please.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

All,

Just failed the Dublin Knowledge section again for the 5th time, getting 72% needing 75% to pass.

For anyone attempting it, look this up, it's an enormous list of One Way Streets in Dublin, and you need to know THE DIRECTION of these one way streets...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1969/si/38/made/en/print.

Sitting again next week....another €90, to the DTA of course (total €540 spent now)....

QDM

• Advertisement

All,

Just failed the Dublin Knowledge section again for the 5th time, getting 72% needing 75% to pass.

For anyone attempting it, look this up, it's an enormous list of One Way Streets in Dublin, and you need to know THE DIRECTION of these one way streets...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1969/si/38/made/en/print.

Sitting again next week....another €90, to the DTA of course (total €540 spent now)....

QDM

Where the test questions the same every time you got in?
    Is it not 80% to pass?
    Thanks.

Hi,

No, the questions are never the same, I've taken the Dublin Knowledge test 5 times now. There are 36 questions, about 15 are regular repeats, 15 random and 6 or so new this time. There are now questions about Luas stops and Dart stations. You MUST know...
    • Locations of Museums, Hotels, Embassy's, Golf Clubs, Sports Clubs etc.
    • Directions of one-way streets (see link in my last post).
    • Main routes to/from the city. Quickest routes from A to B.
    • Identify beginning and end of streets. (i.e. Which streets are at the beginning and end of Parnell St ??)
    • All Dublin's pedestrianized streets.
    • Dublin suburban districts (i.e. Crumlin, Tallaght Balinteer etc.). Know which are next to which, recognize an odd one out.
    • Cross city routes (i.e. Collins Ave, Griffith Ave, Sth/Nth Circular Road) where they start and end...
    The pass mark is now 75% for each module, since last November I think. Which means getting at least 27 correct out of 36 for both modules.

best of luck to anyone still to face this,

QDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zuber

Man its not easy to get an spsv licence, so much to learn and remember, you need to be a genius or what, only guys like stephen hawking will be driving

Does somebody know whats the adress to sit the test in greenhills?
    As i have been booked for this evening but didn't get any emails/sms regards the appointment, and their phones are off today, seems that the test may not take place either.
    But didnt get any notice about...
    Any ideas who should i get in touch with?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

They dont tell you the address,its the 1st part of the test.If you get to the test location youre through to the 2nd part,which is the 36 question exam.Best of luck!!

They dont tell you the address,its the 1st part of the test.If you get to the test location youre through to the 2nd part,which is the 36 question exam.Best of luck!!

Thats a good one. Did never cross my mind..
    Have it sorted by the way, did got a replay by email from them.
    Was worried that i may loose the test fee without sitting the test, but regards the weather today...seems allright.
    And as i didn't get an email confirming the test booking was that they didn't get my right email adress.
    Thanks and good luck for ME doing it!
    Will have more time to study..

Hi,

No, the questions are never the same, I've taken the Dublin Knowledge test 5 times now. There are 36 questions, about 15 are regular repeats, 15 random and 6 or so new this time. There are now questions about Luas stops and Dart stations. You MUST know...
    • Locations of Museums, Hotels, Embassy's, Golf Clubs, Sports Clubs etc.
    • Directions of one-way streets (see link in my last post).
    • Main routes to/from the city. Quickest routes from A to B.
    • Identify beginning and end of streets. (i.e. Which streets are at the beginning and end of Parnell St ??)
    • All Dublin's pedestrianized streets.
    • Dublin suburban districts (i.e. Crumlin, Tallaght Balinteer etc.). Know which are next to which, recognize an odd one out.
    • Cross city routes (i.e. Collins Ave, Griffith Ave, Sth/Nth Circular Road) where they start and end...
    The pass mark is now 75% for each module, since last November I think. Which means getting at least 27 correct out of 36 for both modules.

best of luck to anyone still to face this,

QDM.

Hello Mike

Your post is helpful, Thanks
    About the Luas and Dart questions, what is a typical question on those topics
    for example on what street is some dart station or luas stop ?
    Its clear about the other topics on the test from your posts
    I sit the exam april 16
    Regards

Anyone know where I can get a list of pedestrianized streets ? cant get one on line, I know Grafton St, Henery St, Mary St
    A few more woud be helpful, Also I want to say my taxi ie have a very helpful section on their web-site with lots of questions and answers to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 15 John198119

Hi guys,
    I just submitted my application with the Gards for my Spsv licence. I know it takes up to 12 weeks for them to run the background check, but how will they give me the licence, by post or do I have to go back to them?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 embev2

John198119 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I just submitted my application with the Gards for my Spsv licence. I know it takes up to 12 weeks for them to run the background check, but how will they give me the licence, by post or do I have to go back to them?
    Thanks

I submitted mine to the local garda station on the 13/12/17 and collected it from the Garda carraige office on the 14/3,18. The carraige office wrote to me 5 weeks ago, looking for a "History of my car licence" I had to pay e15 to the ndls, they send it by email or post. Bring the history to the carraige office, you must have no penalty points.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info! Where is garda carriage office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mgulzar

Hi lads
    Fourth go.

Hi,
    Would you be able to share the test questions please.
    Thanks in advance

Hi

Yes please can you show us the questions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you for the info! Where is garda carriage office?

Santry, Shanowen Road.

kceire wrote: »
    Santry, Shanowen Road.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stec7

The Mytaxi manual is the best route I registered on that studied and practiced for 4&1/2 weeks and I passed it second time around I failed area knowledge and phoned nta from outside the test center and was lucky enough to get anotyer test the following day around 3.30.

Heres my question has anyone here recently received there paper licence from the guards? If so how long did it take.
    The Nta website say 4-6 months but two different drivers told me they just say that 3/4weeks max is all it really takes.
    The guard who took my application laughed at that 4-6months part two said it won't take two long I do a quick check so does the district then your paper licence be out and we notify the nta we have sent you that and they get working on your smart card and licence but you can drive using the paper one. Anyone passed recently I'd love to hear from you.
    zuber wrote: »
    Man its not easy to get an spsv licence, so much to learn and remember, you need to be a genius or what, only guys like stephen hawking will be driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

The paper license took 16 weeks,with the dashboard id card another couple of weeks(Dublin)

vandriver wrote: »
    The paper license took 16 weeks,with the dashboard id card another couple of weeks(Dublin)

Seriously?! That's a joke isn't it... How long ago did you do it? Was talking to a guy few weeks back claimed to have got his in 3/4 weeks.. Again I say claimed as not contradicting you.. Taxi guy toda said it used to take few days before the cops took over doing it but someone told him recently its not as heavy a background check as it used to be and only takes week or two that cheered me up this evening, now this lol.

My local Garda station got my paperwork on October 20th.The very helpful garda had done all his checks in a few days,alright.I know because he rang me,to tell me.
    Then it goes to the carriage office...........
    They rang me in late February to say the license was ready.

• Advertisement

Shocking isn't it. Thanks for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jlo4599

Hi rummy. thinking of doing this test. can u share any questions,info,tips?? thanks man

jlo4599 wrote: »
    Hi rummy. thinking of doing this test. can u share any questions,info,tips?? thanks man

Hi, first things first - Mytaxi manual...
    Register there they will give you a mock test once a week and you can test yourself on each part as much as you like it has all of the possible questions that can come up on the test I studied there for a few weeks and passed the test.
    Plus you will get a member of there team keep in touch with you and help you up plus when you pass and get on the road they do loads of offers for new drivers who studied there cash bonuses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Stec7 wrote: »
    Seriously?! That's a joke isn't it... How long ago did you do it? Was talking to a guy few weeks back claimed to have got his in 3/4 weeks.. Again I say claimed as not contradicting you.. Taxi guy toda said it used to take few days before the cops took over doing it but someone told him recently its not as heavy a background check as it used to be and only takes week or two that cheered me up this evening, now this lol.

It was always the Guards who looked after the PSV Driving licence.
    It's only since the Taxi Regulator (and then the NTA) got involved that the whole process got f'/ked up.
    Fifteen years ago you went into the Garda Station with a €6 (may have been even less) receipt from your local County/City Council and your licence was processed within 3/4 days.
    Now you pay €250 months in advance and hope you get renewed before your old licence expires.....and if there's any delay you have two different Bodies who will blame each other for the delay :rolleyes:.

Ye iv heard renewal is not easy either but as a new driver after coming out of work investing all savings in getting on the road having everything ready on my end it's a but of a downer the wait on the licence. The whole process was explained to me by a member of the guards and to be honest the delay is a bit mad. Basically they check the pulse system then contact the district to do the same, post you a paper licence and inform the nta to process an actual licence... Sounds simple yet iv been informed the paper licence which is just awaiting two vetting checks takes 6 weeks to do. When I got the PSA(security licence) the paper conformation didn't take have that time.

jlo4599 wrote: »
    The questions change on every test,so not much use telling you what was on mine!
    Really you just need a good working knowledge of your area.There is also a map reading section which is a gift of points .
    As a taxi driver of a whole month and 350 jobs now,whatever you thought you knew about your area,you don't know enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fandango76

Hi there. I am using Mytaxi web for learning Area knowledge. There is for each question picture inserted. Is it entry test designed like that as well? If I have pic of, for example, hotel it is easier to remember the street where is it....Thanks

fandango76 wrote: »
    Hi there. I am using Mytaxi web for learning Area knowledge. There is for each question picture inserted. Is it entry test designed like that as well? If I have pic of, for example, hotel it is easier to remember the street where is it....Thanks
    All the questions are text based.

All the questions are text based.

No pictures in the test questions. Sorry bud

I did pass the test yesterday, 1st go, so will share my experience, maybe could be useful:
    85%-industry
    75%-area
    I did just study from mytaxi, a big wall dublin map and google maps.

About industry:
    -Even though i was doing almost 100% on mytaxi on industry, did find it difficult on the test day as i did got a paper/boocklet map to use it on the test, not dublin/irl, mostly a fake one, was about 5 question about map readings, how to get from A to B.
    Nothing about charges and fares.
    Was something like taxi tamper disc colour, hackney licence valid 3 years, how many passengers with a wheelcair on board...
    Something like on mytaxi but in a little different format, did let me thing twice about.

About Dublin area:
    -some questions like: location of the following places: belvedere hotel , morton stadium, royal dublin golf club, st Anns church, dublinia, peacock theatre, from sutton to phoenix pk what areas do u pass, what rd does run directly off griffith ave, what area does not surround dalkey,
    pedestrian entrance to pearse station, shaw street one way, olimpya theatre,
    and the one didn't knew about: what area does grange rd run through - baldoyle-donaghmede, i knew the grange rd in rathfarnham only, marley pk.
    These are some of the questons i do remember so far. Hope will help.
    Best of luck to everybody.

Well done!
    What's your next step?

• Advertisement

Well done!
    What's your next step?

Waiting the Gards to process the licence, hopefully not too long, and i'll jump into rent first, to see how it goes.
    Over the time will try to apply for the wheelchaur accesible grant, if approved lucky me to have my own vehicle/licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fandango76

And was it helpful? I'm asking because I had course and we have got question examples totally different from that in mytaxi manual.

[QUOTE=ma88;106648873
    I did just study from mytaxi, a big wall dublin map and google maps.

[/QUOTE]

as long as i did pass, was enough just from these sources.

All,

Good to report I passed the Dublin Knowledge today :D, at the 6th attempt, and 540 quid poorer :mad:

Anyone who wants to pass this better study hard, and take your time doing the test.
    1. Answer the questions you definitely know first.
    2. Mark for review everything else.
    3. Come back to the review questions, then take your time and watch the clock.

There's 36 questions, with 35 minutes to complete all questions.

good luck,

QDM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Hi all
    I know this is spsv dublin thread, but has anyone done the kildare area knowledge test, doing mone next week and would appreciate any pointers

Hy, did somebody know or have anyone with an EU licence got their spsv licence done recently?
    As i do hold an EU one, and the Gards are saying that a new rule came in last year as all the new applicants must hold an Irish licence in order to get a psv....all the new entrants just Irish permit holders.
    Did make some google search, but didn't get any info about.
    Thanks.

ma88 wrote: »
    Hy, did somebody know or have anyone with an EU licence got their spsv licence done recently?
    As i do hold an EU one, and the Gards are saying that a new rule came in last year as all the new applicants must hold an Irish licence in order to get a psv....all the new entrants just Irish permit holders.
    Did make some google search, but didn't get any info about.
    Thanks.
    The NTA disagrees
    '
    You must hold a full Irish driving licence – Class B or higher, free from disqualification and free from endorsement (including penalty points) – or an equivalent licence from an EU** or EEA Member State or another recognised state. If your licence is in a language other than English or Irish, you will be required to include a certified stamped letter from the relevant Embassy stating the licence is true and valid with your application. (Alternatively, you may be entitled to exchange your driving licence for a full Irish driving licence – contact the Authority’s industry information line (0761 064000) for further information.)'

Hi guys,
    I’ve been waiting for the gards to process my Spsv licence application since the end of February. I called them and asked about it and they said I will get a call when it will be ready and have no way of telling me how much longer will takeðŸ§
    Anyone else in this situation?

Hi guys,
    I’ve been waiting for the gards to process my Spsv licence application since the end of February. I called them and asked about it and they said I will get a call when it will be ready and have no way of telling me how much longer will takeðŸ§
    Anyone else in this situation?
    Three and a half months in my case.So in the next few weeks?

Three and a half months in my case.So in the next few weeks?

Thanks mate! Do you work as a taxi driver now? I am a bit scared that I will not be able to make a living driving. Are you doing ok financially?

• Advertisement
Advertisement