Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever owned a Kona Paddy Wagon?

Options
  • 02-09-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

My current commuter is almost 10 yrs sold - a triple with only a handful of gears actually working. All the original components on it. A bit battered, chain ring in need of replacing etc.

I've a short commute - phibsboro to pearse street and back - so there is an incline on the way back up

Kinda like the idea of a single speed for the simplicity of it.

Any reviews from you folks on the paddy wagon specifically? Would those 'hills' be an issue?

Chainring 42t x 16t freewheel / fixed

regular club cyclist so hills aren't a problem on the weekend bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Can't speak to that particular model but given you are even reasonably fit you will make light work of the hills. Easier on a geared bike for sure but would be absolutely fine on a single speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've a Paddy Wagon and love it for pootling around town. I run it as a fixed gear. If you're a club cyclist you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Miklos wrote: »
    I've a Paddy Wagon and love it for pootling around town. I run it as a fixed gear. If you're a club cyclist you won't have any problems.

Any idea of the weight? I'm looking at a 49cm frame - is it responsive enough with that ratio? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Had a paddy wagon years ago and commuted the opposite direction. Hills not an issue even with harder gearing. I suspect you'll find the 42 16 'easy after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    My current commuter is almost 10 yrs sold - a triple with only a handful of gears actually working. All the original components on it. A bit battered, chain ring in need of replacing etc.

I've a short commute - phibsboro to pearse street and back - so there is an incline on the way back up

Kinda like the idea of a single speed for the simplicity of it.

Any reviews from you folks on the paddy wagon specifically? Would those 'hills' be an issue?

Chainring 42t x 16t freewheel / fixed

regular club cyclist so hills aren't a problem on the weekend bike

What size are you?

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    What size are you?

168cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I've got a paddywagon with the Mavic Ellipse wheels. I love it, my favourite ever bike. Just grab it and go. Run it fixed also.
    At 49cm it'll be very light. Mines 60cm and fairly light

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ran my singlespeed 48T * 16T and had no issues with that all around Dublin, from short to long commutes. I suspect 42T might be too slow for you... but it depends what you want really! Loved my singlespeed, best bike I've ever had, perfect for commuting. Mine was a On-One Pompino.

Thanks folks - all sounding positive about it - might change up the ratio after awhile - not sure my knees could handle it fixed but sure we'll give it a lash - now to take the credit card out of the safe ;)

christeb wrote: »
    I've got a paddywagon with the Mavic Ellipse wheels. I love it, my favourite ever bike. Just grab it and go. Run it fixed also.
    At 49cm it'll be very light. Mines 60cm and fairly light

Sounds nice. Plan on speccing it out over time - nice wheels, better saddle and go for some speed plays which is what I have on my road bike along with some of those cool laced up shoes I've seen recently - probably get a beret and grow a goatee too ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement