Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A full dinner by microwave, ideas?

• 02-09-2017 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey all

So, I'm living away at the moment in a hotel-apartment thing, and I only have a microwave for cooking. The OH is coming to visit soon, and I would like to make something - at least one of the evenings - at home.

There's loads that can be done in a microwave, but it's serving everything up hot that's stumping me. I was thinking of doing salmon with potato gratin and veg.

So, something like this for potatoes (ignoring the tip at the end to use aluminium foil :p). I'd cook that first, and this could be re-heated once the veg and fish are done.

I could do some veg in a bowl with a tiny bit of water, and covered in cling film. Would do sliced carrots first for about two minutes, then add chopped broccoli for another three, and then asparagus separately (probably tinned asparagus - which takes about a minute!).

Then, something like this for the salmon. Doesn't take so long, so once the veg is covered, it should still be hot, and I can heat up the gratin quickly.

Well, that's my idea anyway, but does anybody have any tips or suggestions? I like cooking - even more so now that I'm stuck without a hob or oven, and I want to make something nice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Sounds like a well thought-out plan. I like microwaved fish. I'd be tempted to skip the asparagus as one complication too many. If you've got enough bowls, cooking the carrots and broccoli simultaneously, but in separate bowls, might stop one being overcooked and one undercooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would it be an option to get a small foreman type grill to double your cooking power?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Would you consider fish, with couscous and salad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I would go with a lovely salad myself, instead of microwaved veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Hey. Late update, but we ended up making pasta (microwaved with a small bit of water, and for two minutes more than recommended time for boiling).

Mixed it then with some chopped tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto.

It was delicious - for anybody else who is doing microwave cooking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement