Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta Stage 14: Écija - Sierra de la Pandera (175 km)

Options
  • 02-09-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Time for fun & games

PROFIL.png
    he Vuelta a España heads back to the hills with a vengeance on Saturday as the race tackles the second of its three summit finishes in Andalusia, Spain’s most southerly region.

While Wednesday’s ascent to Calar Alto was extremely tough because of its altitude, the sheer amount of vertical metres of climbing and the atrocious weather conditions, the ascent itself is not so difficult, as Igor Anton, who won there in 2006, told Cyclingnews. But La Pandera, the first of the 2017 Vuelta’s four summit finishes to be rated Hors Categorie – together with Sierra Nevada (stage 15), Los Machuchos (stage 17) and, of course, the Angliru (stage 20) – is another story altogether.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espana-heads-back-to-the-mountains-at-la-pandera/

CARTE.jpg
    Fernando Escartín commentary

Mountain. The heat will accompany the peloton during a “leg-breaker” stage with a final climb up La Pandera (HC). The accumulated exhaustion and high temperatures will hinder a stage that could be favourable for a breakaway win, depending on everyone's interests regarding the general classification

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
    Climbs:
    Km 85.5 - Puerto El Mojón - 8.8 kilometre-long climb at 3.7% - category 3
    Km 153.1 - Puerto Locubin - 8.5 kilometre-long climb at 4.8% - category 2
    Km 175.0 - Sierra de la Pandera - 12 kilometre-long climb at 7.3% - category H

TV Times
    Eurosport - 13:45-17:00
    ITV 4 highlights - 19:00

1v64hl.jpg

Dear Santa, its nearly Christmas and I need a new pro team bike, I want 18 votes

A team sky - Pinarello
    0% 0 votes
    A Bahrain Merida - Merida
    0% 0 votes
    A Lotto Soudal - Ridley
    0% 0 votes
    An AGR 2R - Factor
    11% 2 votes
    An Orica Scott - Scott
    16% 3 votes
    A Harley Davidson - Real men ride Harleys
    11% 2 votes
    An Asatna - Argon 18
    0% 0 votes
    A UAE - Colnago
    11% 2 votes
    A team Sunweb - Giant
    16% 3 votes
    A Us Postal era Trek with surprise goody "Bag"
    0% 0 votes
    A Bora Hansgrohe - Specialized
    0% 0 votes
    I dont need a new bike the wife would kill
    33% 6 votes

Comments

Just a heads up there is also racing in Belgium today, coverage on ES player from 1pm. Sam Bennet is racing in that one as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

13th place rider Sam Oomen has abandoned, stomach problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks like a GC Day? They seem committed to reeling in the break, Bertie fancies going for a stage win I assume, he's going to want to take something from his last Grand Tour, this one must be one of the ones he fancies if he has the legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

No BMC in the poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eurosport getting carried away with the Alpecin ads. Two in the one ad break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eurosport getting carried away with the Alpecin ads. Two in the one ad break!

And its such a cringe inducing ad as well.....arrrgghhhh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    No BMC in the poll ?

No Canyon either :eek:

Froome has 6 domestiques with him. It's going to be very hard for any other contender to gain time on him.

Jaysus 20% ramps going through that town and it's not even categorised as a climb!

Less than 8km to go.
    Majka with a 1'45" lead. Rui Costa and De Clerq a bit behind.
    About 30 in the main peloton including Nico

• Advertisement

Aru at the back of the main group as his own team mate sets the tempo at the front!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Will Majka hold on? Hope he does.

Could be a close finish

marvin80 wrote: »
    Will Majka hold on? Hope he does.

Could be a close finish

Yeah go should do because of the 600m descent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    And its such a cringe inducing ad as well.....arrrgghhhh

That's why Belkov was pushed off the bike the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

No Canyon either :eek:

Jeez, some people are just never happy :D

Nico now down to 13th in GC. I think that's the end of any top-10 hopes. I thought he was looking quite strong in the final climb, and better than TvG, but he fell away badly when Chaves and then Nibali attacked.

Just a heads up there is also racing in Belgium today, coverage on ES player from 1pm. Sam Bennet is racing in that one as far as I know.
    Didn't see any of it, but Sam was a DNF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Nico now down to 13th in GC. I think that's the end of any top-10 hopes. I thought he was looking quite strong in the final climb, and better than TvG, but he fell away badly when Chaves and then Nibali attacked.

I haven't understood why Roche doesn't target week-long stage races. He is wasted on GT GC hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

D9Male wrote: »
    I haven't understood why Roche doesn't target week-long stage races. He is wasted on GT GC hunting.

I think he is going to be changing his focus after this Vuelta

Previous Vueltas havent had as many long climbs ....were far more suited to Purito and Valverde and thus suited Roche who can climb fine on the shorter sharper stuff...just not buillt for the longer stuff

Having said that there is still along way to go in this Vuelta and alot of riders are suffering so top 10 is not totally gone ....Tomorrow is a killer but if he is not too far behind then there is still a possibilty with the TT and some stages next week ...but mentally its bound to be very diffciult (not just physically)

Plus Roche's issue is not 3 weeks ...he is fine with the length of a GT and has very good recovery/stamina... ...His issue is MTFs over 12KM in length ...and those can be in one week races too..its a power to weight issue ..well trying to maintain it for a long period ..at nearly 70KG he has to put out some much more power than the lighter guys on the very steep stuff..cant do it on the long stuff

Advertisement