Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing hard drive from one laptop to another

• 02-09-2017 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

My old laptop was giving trouble a couple of years ago so I bought a back-up but it says Windows 7 isn't genuine. If I replace the old hard drive to the new - will all my files and official Windows & MS Office licence transfer too. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Unless the more recent buy is very similar to the older, its very likely that it wouldn't successfully boot up with the drive from the older put into the newer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Logo wrote: »
    My old laptop was giving trouble a couple of years ago so I bought a back-up but it says Windows 7 isn't genuine. If I replace the old hard drive to the new - will all my files and official Windows & MS Office licence transfer too. Thanks

Your original laptop came with an OEM license of Windows. This means that it is tied to the original machine (usually some hardware identifier in the bios). So it means you can't move that copy of Windows to a new computer. This likely explains why you have an error with Windows activation.

Your MS Office license is likely stand alone, and as such you can move it as you wish.

And as bonzodog2 mentions, swapping hard drives from one machine into another will present other problems. Such as drivers not working, likely WiFi being affected and lots of other things. I have done this in the past when in a jam, the OS boots but lots of stuff was messed up. It's generally not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Logo

Your original laptop came with an OEM license of Windows. This means that it is tied to the original machine (usually some hardware identifier in the bios). So it means you can't move that copy of Windows to a new computer.
    My 'new' secondhand laptop has a Windows 7 Product Key serial number on a sticker on the underside of the laptop - can I use this to re-install Windows? Failing that, how can I get a genuine Windows license?
    Also - my old laptop seems to be working again but the fan isn't working - maybe because I used a vacuum cleaner to clean out the dust! Does anyone know what exact philips screwdriver is best to get at the fan of a HP laptop? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My 'new' secondhand laptop has a Windows 7 Product Key serial number on a sticker on the underside of the laptop - can I use this to re-install Windows? Failing that, how can I get a genuine Windows license?
    Also - my old laptop seems to be working again but the fan isn't working - maybe because I used a vacuum cleaner to clean out the dust! Does anyone know what exact philips screwdriver is best to get at the fan of a HP laptop? Thanks

If there is a Windows license sticker on the laptop then I see no reason why it would not activate.

As for what screwdriver.... one that fits :), they will not be fastened too tightly so you should be okay getting them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Logo

If there is a Windows license sticker on the laptop then I see no reason why it would not activate.

As for what screwdriver.... one that fits :), they will not be fastened too tightly so you should be okay getting them off.

Apologies for being a bit dense but how do I activate the Windows Licence with a load of numbers on a sticker on the laptop?
    As for the screwdriver - I don't have a Philips that fits and the last thing I want is to damage the threads - is there a number I can quote to fit laptop screws?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Apologies for being a bit dense but how do I activate the Windows Licence with a load of numbers on a sticker on the laptop?
    As for the screwdriver - I don't have a Philips that fits and the last thing I want is to damage the threads - is there a number I can quote to fit laptop screws?
    if win 7 look for activate right click mycomputer/properties. click activate and enter the key when asked. be online at the time asi think it needs to contact ms servers

Advertisement