Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathoe, Carlow

Options
  • 02-09-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone. I'm moving to Ireland from Malta with my family. Found a house in Rathoe, Carlow. What can anyone tell me about the area?

It looks really central and just what we're looking for but would like an insider's input.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's in the middle of the country, though Tullow the nearest town is about 5 mins drive. You will need a car. There is a primary school, church and small shop. That's about it. About 15 mins drive into Carlow which is the largest town in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Very good Country school and community spirit . In the same parish as Ballon . You have to drive a few miles on Country roads to get to the main roads . There is no Pub in Rathoe or takeaway which can be an advantage or a disadvantage .
    The people are the salt of the earth .It is a farming area so expect to be held up by tractors and aul lads with caps having a chat or cardiac recovery victims out for a compulsory walk .
    There is a shop and post office in the Village and I think a community creche .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is indeed a community creche and they have a brand new purpose built building. The primary school is also in the process of building an ASD unit. Is the house in the village itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I am currently living in Rathoe. It is a nice quiet area but as mentioned before, you will need a car as there are only basic amenities. Broadband options are not great here though with only fixed wireless ISPs as the main providers. Mobile signal can be a mixed bag too.

Within 10mins drive: Tullow. Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Supervalu, McDonalds, M9 motorway, social clubs, takeaways (some deliver to Rathoe), multiple schools, multiple petrol stations, vets, mechanics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

I'm doing some research on this neck of the woods.

Could someone local please clarify if Rathtoe and Rathoe are two separate places or is it the same place spelled differently?

There is a place called Rathoe on Google maps which is a few miles south west of Rathtoe. It this just Rathtoe incorrectly marked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I'm doing some research on this neck of the woods.

Could someone local please clarify if Rathtoe and Rathoe are two separate places or is it the same place spelled differently?

There is a place called Rathoe on Google maps which is a few miles south west of Rathtoe. It this just Rathtoe incorrectly marked?

Same place afaik, locals just like to confuse strangers and protect their gene pool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

This ISN'T the Rathoe near Tullow 52°43'38.5"N 6°52'56.8"W

This is the correct one, near Tullow and Ballon (using the shop as the "centre"" of the village is 52.786184, -6.799416

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

My wife works in the Community Childcare facility, it is a exciting new buidling and just this week launched a new training hub within it outside of the childcare , if you need anymore info on the centre PM me.

http://www.rathoecommunitychildcare.com

In relation to the village, I live in Ballon , the next village over and know of quite a few people in Rathoe. Its a lovely little village. Does maybe lack a more accesible shop / pub / take away but it is pretty much equidistant to Tullow and Ballon (approx 5-6km which has a everything you will ever need.

If there is any more specific info you need , put it on this thread. Most if not all of the carlow contributors to Boards are very helpful.

Advertisement