Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy a fake or real Christmas tree?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Funthalia_Love

Also, I have dogs. Ergo - holes where the big dog sticks his head into the middle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We're the opposite - love having the real tree, bends and lopsided and needles included :p

Picking the Christmas Tree is a big deal in our house - really makes it feel like Christmas has officially started! There's a big Christmas Tree farm not too far away, so we make a day out of heading over picking out the perfect tree for us with the kids. It's a family run farm and they do a lovely job of it - Christmas music playing, santa hats on all the staff and things like that. There's different types of trees there (fir, pine etc.) and price is based on the height of the tree you pick. Prices are much better than side of the road guys too.

When you get there, you get a piece of ribbon to tie around the tree you you want. You flag down someone working there who chops it down, pops it on a trailer, nets it and brings it to the car for you. Makes a lovely day out and you have a good chance to pick a nice tree in your own time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

My first artifical christmas tree is about 11 years old. My first christmas with mr glitz I was horrified to find out Mr glitz had no christmas tree! Well straight off to argos a few days before Christmas and got a massive one on sale ... I'm amazed he didn't run there and then lol it was a clear indication of things to come :pac: 11 years later he still hasn't run and my tree is going strong lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Fake all the way. Never had a real tree. Some family member have them and tbh I wouldn't be the biggest fan, they smell nice but that's about it for me.

This year I am hoping we can get this one. I love it and the fact it has fake snow and some decorations already on it is a big plus for me. :)

fvvbdx.jpg

If we can't get that one, we'll get one of these.

Richmond 6ft Pre-Lit Christmas Tree

Mayfair Christmas Tree

Balmoral Christmas Tree

Windsor Christmas Tree
    Shops stock similar to these. There meant to give off the smell of a real tree.

https://everythingchangesreviews.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/eaa5f-enviorscentscentsicles.jpg
    I got these one year, there was barely any smell from them at all. Could have just been the ones I got but I wouldn't have hopes for a decent scent from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Fake tree all the way, we never had a real one probably down to me being an only child and having asthma with allergies my poor mam probably wouldn't risk it, years ago as a child I would be sick if someone gave me chocolate that wasn't cadburys :) cheeky cadburys only

Glitz my OH hadn't a tree 10 years ago either I went to my local Superquinn and got a tree for his apartment it was way too big for the apartment but we have it in our house now and it's still going strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

You have to have a real tree just once. It's an abiding memory of my childhood, convincing my parents to get a real one, the smell, my god the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've always had a real tree, and absolutely adore the smell. I can never see myself buying an artificial one, even if it would be a lot less mess to clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always associate the smell of a real Christmas tree with the wreaths we put on people's graves at Christmas. So, the smell doesn't do a lot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We have both - real one in the sitting room, fake one in the kitchen. Makes both of us happy and the kids are delighted to have multiple trees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

How do I post a pic? I believe photobucket doesn't work anymore.

Jude13 wrote: »
    How do I post a pic? I believe photobucket doesn't work anymore.

I had issues with photos with some people being able to see them and others not when I took them off my Google photo's account.
    What I do now is I upload them to a fake facebook page and open the image in a new window and copy and insert the link here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You can attach a picture directly to boards by using the option below the reply box. It won’t embed it but if you’ve posted photos before you’ll know how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

BDJW wrote: »
    I've always had a real tree, and absolutely adore the smell. I can never see myself buying an artificial one, even if it would be a lot less mess to clean up!

Love that fresh pine smell. We had a real tree last year and the needles didn't fall off at all but maybe it depends when the tree was cut down.

I had a real tree in a rented house in Dublin one year and came back up early January to find every last needle off the tree. I think I was finding needles until June. Went between the floorboards too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Surprised so many Christmas aficionados are championing artificial trees.

We always had a fake one growing up but as soon as I moved out and had my own family it was real all the way.

Symmetry and clean up be damned!!

Nothing beats an actual tree.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Surprised so many Christmas aficionados are championing artificial trees.

We always had a fake one growing up but as soon as I moved out and had my own family it was real all the way.

Symmetry and clean up be damned!!

Nothing beats an actual tree.

The main reason why we wouldn't have a real tree is because we wouldn't have enough room on it for all our decorations!

Fake all the way. It’s part of our tradition and full of memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We've had a fake tree in our house for many years

Advertisement