Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish joining the British army

Options
  • 02-09-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Just wondering would I need to be a British Citizen to join the army or just lived in the country for five years?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

power29 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering would I need to be a British Citizen to join the army or just lived in the country for five years?

Thanks in advance

Neither. Just go to Belfast or London with your passport and sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

power29 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

Google will answer that for you in detail, but quick answer is if you're Irish, you can join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

power29 wrote:

I don't think you need to be either. Once your an eu citizen your fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I was a british soldier. I had no issues joining up as a republic of ireland citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

If you search this forum you will find many threads answering your query. In short, being an Irish citizen does not prevent you from joining the British Army. Not being a British citizen will restrict you from some certain roles in sensitive areas.

No doubt, the resident boards.ie British Army ambassador/recruiter will be along shortly with some longwinded rosy stories about HMAF for you to peruse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Negative_G wrote: »
    If you search this forum you will find many threads answering your query. In short, being an Irish citizen does not prevent you from joining the British Army. Not being a British citizen will restrict you from some certain roles in sensitive areas.

No doubt, the resident boards.ie British Army ambassador/recruiter will be along shortly with some longwinded rosy stories about HMAF for you to peruse.

Hmmmm

And still no sign. He must be getting his photo taken again.

Advertisement