Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax disc lost in post?

Options
  • 02-09-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure how common it is for tax disc to get lost in the post but it seems to be happening to me. It has been almost 10 working days now and still no post. I have sent an email to motor tax and they told me I have to go to a Garda station to fill out the RF134 form.

However after looking it up I have to pay €6 to request a duplicate motor tax disc? Even if it was lost in the post? :confused:

Anyone have similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My ma had this happen to her and a fella I work with had it happen to him recently also. It's absolutely ridiculous that they aren't sent out as registered post then if they got lost we'd know what idiot sent it to the wrong address and whoever signed for it would be in trouble for theft.

It's a legal document FFS, it's only 3 quid to send bulk registered, NEXT DAY parcels up to 20kg. Probably less for a letter and they're charging you €6 to send another and you have to waste your time at the Garda station.

A neighbor of mine also seems to be waiting, he's had a 172 car for a few weeks now and still no tax disc. Seems to be a very common occurrence and it's all too convenient they're charging you €6 for it to be resent...

Also a waste of Garda time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

It'll be free of charge. Once you report it and send form within 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My ma had this happen to her and a fella I work with had it happen to him recently also. It's absolutely ridiculous that they aren't sent out as registered post then if they got lost we'd know what idiot sent it to the wrong address and whoever signed for it would be in trouble for theft.

It's a legal document FFS, it's only 3 quid to send bulk registered, NEXT DAY parcels up to 20kg. Probably less for a letter and they're charging you €6 to send another and you have to waste your time at the Garda station.

A neighbor of mine also seems to be waiting, he's had a 172 car for a few weeks now and still no tax disc. Seems to be a very common occurrence and it's all too convenient they're charging you €6 for it to be resent...

Also a waste of Garda time too.

Registered post - two items of regd mail were sent to me this year. Both returned and then sent at my request by standard mail.

How many people are home when post arrives and how many can get to their local parcel delivery office within 3 days without substantial inconvenience.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

ianob7 wrote: »
    It'll be free of charge. Once you report it and send form within 3 months

That's all kinds of wrong

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Registered post - two items of regd mail were sent to me this year. Both returned and then sent at my request by standard mail.

How many people are home when post arrives and how many can get to their local parcel delivery office within 3 days without substantial inconvenience.?

AnPost now attempt delivery 3 times before going back to the depot so there's a greater chance of being at home to catch it. I'd rather go to the depot to collect a letter than have it wrongfully given to someone else without signing for it.

• Advertisement

Had to do it before. It was easier for me to head to the local motor tax office and just get a new one there and then. Still costs €6 but you get it straight away if you need it now.

dobman88 wrote:
    That's all kinds of wrong

Afraid not

Afraid not

OK. Why is it free? Who do you report to? What form do you fill in?

dobman88 wrote:
    OK. Why is it free? Who do you report to? What form do you fill in?

You fill in the standard replace document form rf134 state that the disc was lost in the post from the online service and you should not be charged. Call during the week to confirm if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Do a chargeback on your card if u get any rubbish from them.
    You paid for something and didn't receive it.
    Tell them stick their €6.

• Advertisement

AnPost now attempt delivery 3 times before going back to the depot so there's a greater chance of being at home to catch it. I'd rather go to the depot to collect a letter than have it wrongfully given to someone else without signing for it.

Parcels only. I use them and have all the details.

And not all parcels.
    Amazon and their Prism customers.
    You won't get more than 1 attempt with your AliExpress and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should be free reissue within 2 weeks of them sending it should it become lost in the post.

You fill in the standard replace document form rf134 state that the disc was lost in the post from the online service and you should not be charged. Call during the week to confirm if you wish

It's still €6 for a duplicate though. Whether they charge it must be at their discretion

I stand corrected. It doesn't matter really, AnPost have a long track record of losing stuff and their customer service is awful. They just don't care. I'm not talking about losing a birthday card sent by the grandparents either, in my last job they sent a large plastic crate of store stock destined for a shopping centre to a residential address in a different county.

Ok it went through the sorting office to somewhere else in error, fine, then the local depot or person delivering it also didn't check. There's multiple chances for correction where things just slip by.

As someone who has sent hundreds of packets and letters and also had to replace/refund thousands of Euro worth of goods, it's my opinion a registered letter would help, but not prevent, the loss of tax discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Sorta similar. Its free of charge to change address details on a log book, so off I sent it to Shannon.

Surprise, surprise, it was lost in the post, so I had to get replacement forms filled out in the local Garda station and motor tax office and pay €12 I think for the inconvenience.

I don't really go for conspiracy theories but in fairness, if they wanted to charge me the €12 as an admin charge initially I would have been happier, rather than look for a Garda station that is open to stamp the forms.

I stand corrected. It doesn't matter really, AnPost have a long track record of losing stuff .

Its off topic, but we send about 400 parcels a week and much higher at Christmas and in four years using an post just one parcel has gone missing.

With previous couriers it was 4 or 5 every month.

Having had a tour of the Portlaoise depot and being shown where things go wrong - hand writing of some people is atrocious and is the primary cause of non delivery.

The other cause is poor quality stickers with address which fall off the packages - but the handwriting I was shown was utterly indecipherable and there were quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

I am curious about the payment. Do you just send the money along with the form to the tax office - what is the protocol?

Also is there a specific Motor Tax Office I need to send to? I presume I just send it to the one located in Dublin City Center?(Only one in Dublin).

There is a motor tax office in Naas can I go to that one instead if I decide to go in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I am curious about the payment. Do you just send the money along with the form to the tax office - what is the protocol?

Also is there a specific Motor Tax Office I need to send to? I presume I just send it to the one located in Dublin City Center?(Only one in Dublin).

There is a motor tax office in Naas can I go to that one instead if I decide to go in person?

You go to tax office specific to your county. In your case Naas if your address is Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi,

I'm not sure how common it is for tax disc to get lost in the post but it seems to be happening to me. It has been almost 10 working days now and still no post. I have sent an email to motor tax and they told me I have to go to a Garda station to fill out the RF134 form.

However after looking it up I have to pay €6 to request a duplicate motor tax disc? Even if it was lost in the post? :confused:

It's free. It never arrived, different if you lost it and needed a replacement.
    Get it stamped by Gardai. Write "not received in post from either MTO or Shannon" depending on where it came from. It's Shannon if done online.
    If you go into the local MTO you will get it then and there. If not post it to the MTO, not Shannon.
    When I worked in MTO I was amazed the number of discs that went "missing" in the post

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Its off topic, but we send about 400 parcels a week and much higher at Christmas and in four years using an post just one parcel has gone missing.

With previous couriers it was 4 or 5 every month.

Having had a tour of the Portlaoise depot and being shown where things go wrong - hand writing of some people is atrocious and is the primary cause of non delivery.

The other cause is poor quality stickers with address which fall off the packages - but the handwriting I was shown was utterly indecipherable and there were quite a few.
    You cannot blame either of the above excuses as letters from motor tax are printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I taxed 2 cars last year at the end of August to start in September. Both letters posted on the same day and only 1 arrived. I had to have a form stamped at my local station and the replacement disc was free. I've started using Eircode which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Do I have to be the registered owner to sign the RF134 form? The registered owner of the vehicle is my sister but she's not in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mine got lost in the post and i got the RF134 stamped by the Garda after i had stated it was lost in the post. Went to Smithfield in person, disgruntled at having to pay €6 but it was given to me F.o.C because the chap said that An Post made the mistake and that I shouldn't be charged.

Easy way out blaming the post office anyway.
    How are they so sure someone in the tax office didn't mess up.
    Don't give them a cent either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

blade1 wrote: »
    Easy way out blaming the post office anyway.
    How are they so sure someone in the tax office didn't mess up.
    Don't give them a cent either way.

Wash your mouth out with soap. How dare you suggest that our civil servants are incompetent. Anyone who can retire with their large pensions cannot be deemed "incompetent" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

Hi,

don't worry I was waiting 3 BLOODY WEEKS for my tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

This all sounds odd.. paid my tax online last Thursday afternoon, disc arrived in the post yesterday. No bothers. Never had to wait more than 3-4 days.

Also... never had anything go missing with An Post.. where I work we can send out up to a thousand letters a month. But seemingly tax discs and penalty point notices pose particular challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

TrailerBob wrote: »
    This all sounds odd.. paid my tax online last Thursday afternoon, disc arrived in the post yesterday. No bothers. Never had to wait more than 3-4 days.

Also... never had anything go missing with An Post.. where I work we can send out up to a thousand letters a month. But seemingly tax discs and penalty point notices pose particular challenges

Same here.

An Post is pretty good and I never had any post gone missing or not received.

In 10 years only one letter I sent was "not delivered". It was sent to Tesco Insurance, and I would rather blame the Tesco themselves for losing it, than An Post tbh.

There is a reason for Signed For / Recorded services not being so popular in Ireland. There is no need for it really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do I have to be the registered owner to sign the RF134 form? The registered owner of the vehicle is my sister but she's not in the country.

Depends on the Guard you get in the station.

Advertisement