Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods 22/8/17

Options
  • 02-09-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭

So much damage done :(  Inishowen was practically an island for a few hours - it was totally cut off by road from the rest of the country.  I've heard that 54 bridges have had damage caused to them and that around half of them are going to require replacement.  That's not going to happen any time soon... :(

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's just lucky that donegal and in particular Inishowen is far enough away from Dublin for them to not actually give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some shocking scenes that night, many people's properties ruined.

I was working that night in Derry and couldn't get home to donegal in the morning due to major damage on the Muff to Carn roads.

But got to give credit where it's due, the council workers were fantastic and had most roads opened again the next couple of days.

Proper fixes are going to take a long time and a lot of money, but we'll get there in the end.

As for no-one giving a feck about us, I do think rte deserve credit too. They gave it extensive coverage. But my opinion of Matt Cooper and his Last Word show will never be the same. He didn't have a discussion piece about the floods in the following 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This is my usual route to work in the morning.  I'll not be going this way for a while I'd imagine...
    21231100_10155658761597292_4521387167494763085_n.jpg?oh=4634e60d4b0a62e8c298f90f6a193687&oe=5A1F8EC4

21106335_10155658761747292_1115902440014004843_n.jpg?oh=3283127b5c08bd3919a16ba8ff1dd9b6&oe=5A2BCA72

21106886_10155658761807292_2206010860036601252_n.jpg?oh=1f3aed1b26727bdf523ef6a2dd9c4446&oe=5A258E43

21105455_10155658761932292_3539994367721291641_n.jpg?oh=e4c5fd97b431e0cc490b417f0cfffae0&oe=5A26F0DE

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Didn't see that amongst all the pictures of the damage.

Which Road is that?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't see that amongst all the pictures of the damage.

Which Road is that?
    Bottom of Grainnes Gap near the Rock Bar.

• Advertisement

Ok, heard that got it bad.

But I see its open again, but with a minor detour?

Ok, heard that got it bad.

But I see its open again, but with a minor detour?
    The the landslide at the Gap was cleared so I took a drive over that way this morning.  The detour only takes a couple of extra minutes :)

Again got to say, fair play to the council workers.

I travelled in the road from Carn to Muff today, first time since the floods.
    The Bailey bridge is up and running since last night at the Riverside pub. I thought it would be on the main road, but its going across a lay-by, the main road is still being repaired.

And the huge hole that was in the road between Quigleys Point and Muff, which left only the hard shoulder to drive on, is now back to traffic both ways on the original road lanes. Some finishing off work still ongoing of course, but ahead of schedule.

They've also started work on that bridge that I photo'd up there ^^^ :cool:

Apparently there were 115 Donegal bridges that were damaged in some way during the floods.

Its thought that up to a quarter of these will need replaced.

Shocking.

Another main one, that on the Mountain Road between Buncrana and Carn, is due to be opened in 4 weeks, they have ordered the concrete culvert/structure to out into the hole.

• Advertisement

That road I photo'd up there ^^^ has now reopened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Penfailed wrote: »
    That road I photo'd up there ^^^ has now reopened :)
    Good to hear. :)

Despite their terrible reputation with regards to getting things done I am led to believe that the Council pulled out all the stops when dealing with the aftermath of the flooding in the Inishowen area. Most people I have talked to spoke very highly of them so its nice to hear about them stepping up to the plate for a change.

I know there's still a lot more to be done but so far its been positive.

The scale of the job on the QP to Carn Road amazed me.

That photo with the white van sticking it's front into the hole, well they have taken away so much of the road now

It's a massive job.

Sad news yesterday in Killybegs, with more properties and businesses flooded.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sad news yesterday in Killybegs, with more properties and businesses flooded.
    Aye, Kilcar got a bad touch too.

The mountain Road between Carn and Buncrana is open again.

Single lane with lights, but at least it's open.

Advertisement