Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Macs are so verpriced in Ireland?Why such a difference in price in US and Ireland

Options
  • 02-09-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

How come Macs (and other Apple products) are so verpriced in Ireland? And I'm not even talking about just 23%VAT. I'm taliking about pure retail price. The model I'm interested in costs $2399 in the US, but on the Apple's Irish website it retails for €2899 (with TAX), which is €2356 without TAX. Last time I checked $2399 is NOT €2356! It's €2022! Huge difference, isn't it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

US prices you're looking at may be subject to additional tax depending on the state.

Around 10% difference doesn't sound particularly high or unusual for an Irish/US price comparison of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Along with the VAT, they also "hedge" against currency fluctuations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Add Sales Tax, and Apple seem to use a currency conversion all of their own. Aren't the other Euro Apple Stores about the same prices?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple's French and German Mac prices are about 50-100 cheaper. But their VAT rate is 3-4% lower than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

plus add in the consumer laws they need to protect against and the difference is negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There'll still be the usual outcry after launch events when the Irish price is announced and compared to the dollar price from Apple's presentation.

No matter how many times it's explained.

Advertisement