Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - misleading floor area

Options
  • 02-09-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on a new build in Dublin. The estate agent's brochure says the two bed house is 88m2. I downloaded the planning drawings, to check for myself. The internal footprint is 88m2 including the stairs.

Is it correct to advertise a property like this? I've viewed 50+ houses but I don't recall any other agent including the stairs in the floor area.

Comments

Yes this would be the norm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

con1982 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on a new build in Dublin. The estate agent's brochure says the two bed house is 88m2. I downloaded the planning drawings, to check for myself. The internal footprint is 88m2 including the stairs.

Is it correct to advertise a property like this? I've viewed 50+ houses but I don't recall any other agent including the stairs in the floor area.

Yes. The internal floor area is a measurement of the inside face of all external walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kceire wrote: »
    Yes. The internal floor area is a measurement of the inside face of all external walls.
    I assume that's a simplification otherwise a two storey house would have the same floor area if you removed all floors and made it double height.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume that's a simplification otherwise a two storey house would have the same floor area if you removed all floors and made it double height.

*on each floor.

Advertisement