Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Espana stage 15- ALCALÁ LA REAL - SIERRA NEVADA 129.4 kilometres

Options
  • 03-09-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

This one's a biggie. CARTE.jpg
    PROFIL.png
    Only 129km long but packing a serious punch with close to 2800m climbing. There are 3 categorised climbs but the second two are back to back making essentially one monster with very little respite.

Alto de Hazallanas16.3 km@5.5% - category 1

Alto del Purche.8.5 km@8% - category 1

Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. Monachil.19.3 km@5.6% - category H

Hazallanas is a very uneven climb with a downhill before kicking up to an average of 10% for 7km with maximum of 22%.
    Purche and Sierra Nevada combined comes in just a few km shorter but same average gradient as the Telegraphe/Galibier.

monachil-vs-galibier.png
    The GC boys will be looking to take lumps out of each other and with it being a relatively short stage there should be plenty of action from the gun. Hazallanas is tough enough to cause problems before they even get to the last climb. This could be savage.

Paddy Power is giving
    M A Lopez 5/2
    Nibali 11/2
    Bardet, Contador, Froome 6/1
    Atapuma, Majka 12/1
    Chaves 35/1
    Aru 80/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Love the distance and profile of this stage - hope it will be another entertaining stage. The GC has been a foregone conclusion so far in fairness, but the racing so far has nonetheless been so much more entertaining than the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In 2013, Chris Horner had a good day on some of today's climbs and secured his Vuelta win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eamonnator wrote: »
    In 2013, Chris Horner had a good day on some of today's climbs and secured his Vuelta win.

Finishing on Hazallanas

Today they go 2 mountain further !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Please let froome have an off day/catch sky off guard and make the final week interesting?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

retalivity wrote: »
    Please let froome have an off day/catch sky off guard and make the final week interesting?!

Especially with TT on Tuesday. If nothing happens today to dent Froomes time next week will just be a procession like the TDF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Bardet or Rui Costa to take this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Full Gas from the end of the neutral section, no break as of yet, not for want of trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Looks absolutely exhausting already :o

Looks absolutely exhausting already :o

My God this Vuelta is so so hard ...every day racing flat out and such hard climbing even on the 'flat' stages

It could be a matter of who is still standing by Madrid

That gradient looks savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Saying Roche is in trouble. Long way to go if he slips off the back now.

Itziger wrote: »
    Saying Roche is in trouble. Long way to go if he slips off the back now.

Yep....head dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

what a descent.... smooth roads.. fast...wow!

About time yer man at the front (S.Armee) got some new bar tape - unless he has his lucky bar tape on for the race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jeez. Once Contador retires they may as well take to turbo trainers for the Grand Tours in future. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sky's blank cheque book make it impossible for anyone else. Marginal gains is a nonsense.

The skybots with Froome are killing it

Lopez ... that lad has got some legs...the next Contador maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

What just happened Yates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

God I hate Sky.

py wrote: »
    What just happened Yates?

He had nothing left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

pelevin wrote: »
    God I hate Sky.

I'm not so much hating Sky as i am hating Kirby's "Sky are God's gift to cycling" routine.

(That said, I'm not a fan of Sky)

I'm not so much hating Sky as i am hating Kirby's "Sky are God's gift to cycling" routine.

(That said, I'm not a fan of Sky)

With me it's hatred of Sky. Froome on the radio, info back & forth on the numbers, domestiques negating everything in front of him . . . Yeah, I hate them.

They make me wish I wasn't watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Today Is the first stage I have watched, feel like I wasted my afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Contador blew his chance of a podium with that effort today.

Where did Lopez lose the time to Froome? Could have been a real danger had he been closer, notwithstanding the TT to come. He could easily put a couple of minutes into the other GC guys on the Angliru.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Big yawnfest.

pelevin wrote: »
    With me it's hatred of Sky. Froome on the radio, info back & forth on the numbers, domestiques negating everything in front of him . . . Yeah, I hate them.

They make me wish I wasn't watching.

Isn't that what all teams are doing these days, using the tech and working the numbers. The difference with Sky is that they have the strongest team leading Froome up the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Kirby apologising for nationalistic coverage ...on behalf of Spain. No hint of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Poels is some boy. Finished in 8th place today, a handful of seconds behind Froome, having protected him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lopez is some boy by all accounts it was a headwind up the final climb and he did the vast majority of it on his own, putting time into everyone, head and shoulders the strongest climber at this race by some margin! Anyone know what his race schedule was like this year? is he fatigued like most of the rest or has he come here at the very peak of his powers due to a truncated season or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sky are brutal, in every sense of the word.

Advertisement