Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Coursework 2018

Options
  • 03-09-2017 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Higher Level Student's are doing Mice in Solidworks, and Ordinary Level are doing Tape Dispensers...
    Can somebody please explain what I should be doing to get a H1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Got 93% in 2017's project.

Computer mice is a lovely one and has great scope for creativity and research.

Start. Now. Get into your Output 1 and Output 2 right away, time will fly by before you know it.

Get out a notepad and start googling computer mice. Find out absolutely everything you can about how they work, the different types, the ergonomics of their design and the various target markets etc etc. This will form the basis of your Output 1 and 2. You need to show that you've researched everything there is to know about them, and then present it nicely for the examiner. Include your OWN photos taken in a shop or something, as well as a couple basic sketches.

Output 3 (and 8) will take you a while. Put a huge effort into them, keep them neat and accurate and include colour and labels in both. Maybe even set aside a weekend to do each. It's common for people to run out of time for Output 8, don't be that person.

Regarding solidworks, you need to be proficient at it. Be prepared to stay in school some evenings approaching the deadline as you try to get it finished. If you have any free classes at all, try and get a bit of solidworks done. It'll all come together in the end and you'll improve massively in ability the more you practise.

I'd advise that you do a concept design, rather than a modification - it's more effort initially but you have much more scope to display your knowledge of ergonomics, aesthetics, design, environmental awareness and so on. Pick a broad theme, and one that none of your classmates are doing. Don't pick sport, PLEASE. For output 7, really go into detail about your design process - take the examiner from start to finish and show them how you arrived at your final design, incuding every modification you made along the way and the logic behind each. Consider your design under a number of headings and include loads of concept sketches.

I've written you an essay here, I'm sorry, but the DCG project can be hard to dive into from scratch. I hope my advice here has given you an idea of what's needed. Feel free to ask me any questions you want answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Limerickclare1

Garysh wrote: »
    Higher Level Student's are doing Mice in Solidworks, and Ordinary Level are doing Tape Dispensers...
    Can somebody please explain what I should be doing to get a H1?

How do I satisfy the requirement to have 5 parts, using surface geometry allows mouse to be made in one part , any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeinClare

How do I satisfy the requirement to have 5 parts, using surface geometry allows mouse to be made in one part , any suggestions?

Well shur dont use surface geometry and make mouse out of lots of parts. Thats what i will do. Iv a normal mouse with a few removable panels. Scroll wheel is another. My mouse has a rubber ring that goes over plastic wheel, you can remove it with the wheel out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amyniriabhaigh

Im in the same boat as you, really could do with a guideline if you have any

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

Hey all,
    Doing higher level DCG this year so our topic is computer mice, I started from scratch because I didn’t like the way I was doing it, I’ve 2 sheets done for output 1 (Design Research with scanned in sketches and then a historic infographic timeline) and have a rough idea for Output 2.

Anyone who got a h1 last year able to throw some advice my way or give me a glance at their project? Especially for the concept design I can’t think of any ideas for that? Anything be deeply appreciated 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Eaglextrix

I got a H1 in the 2017 exam and my main piece of advice is get your project done early. My class was an absolute joke and we all did the project within the last month from scratch and we had to stay in during the entire christmas holidays just to beat the deadline.

I restarted my project completely as well so don't worry about that. A great tip would be to get the marking scheme provided and scrutinise it like crazy when you are reviewing each page. I remember saying to our teacher that I cant see any way in which I couldn't be given full marks on some sections... so that's what your confidence level should be towards the end.

I'd advice doing the modification output as the examiners cant downgrade you on your idea, or how it looks, or if it works. An easy tip to get a H1 in this section is to explain, step by step, how you got from the beginning to the end of your design... that's all they want.

Also, get the project done now, spend time after school and during holidays in the DCG room, it helps.

Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mousetrap123

Hey thanks for the replies... What amount of detail do you need to have for the solid works to score well... like you could improve your model in solid works wthout a limit and keep adding on....whats a good limit? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Celtron wrote: »
    Hey all,

Anyone who got a h1 last year able to throw some advice my way or give me a glance at their project? Especially for the concept design I can’t think of any ideas for that? Anything be deeply appreciated
    Celtron, it's unlikely that anyone will be willing to give a total stranger on the net "a glance at" their project for fear of plagiarism.

Advertisement