Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possiple to lose Medicine if I'm downgraded? ( urgently need advice)

Options
  • 03-09-2017 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just wondering if anyone can explain this. I'm 3 points away from an upgrade in ag science and 4 points in applied maths. I'm paranoid about getting downgraded and losing my course, is this possible, one friend told me it's not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are three or four points from an upgrade you must be a fair few points from a downgrade. Did you see somewhere in your paper the marking scheme was not properly applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Demha2020

spurious wrote: »
    If you are three or four points from an upgrade you must be a fair few points from a downgrade. Did you see somewhere in your paper the marking scheme was not properly applied?

My teacher said she would get it rechecked, but in the worst case scenario is it possible to lose your course once you've been offered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes it is possible.

Have you been offered medicine?

Is that what you want to do?

Then why are you sending your papers for recheck? If you have what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What practical benefit is there to get a recheck?

Yes a downgrade is possible, not as common, but possible.

Wesser wrote: »
    Yes it is possible.

Have you been offered medicine?

Is that what you want to do?

Then why are you sending your papers for recheck? If you have what you want.

So you CAN lose your place?

Yeah I got med in NUIG which I am delighted with, but I'm so close to my first choice.
    I don't want to put ag for recheck because I'm counting it and regardless of the small risk I don't see it as worth it. The only reason I'm asking is because I'm Soo stupidly close to and upgrade.

• Advertisement

What practical benefit is there to get a recheck?

Yes a downgrade is possible, not as common, but possible.

See my reply to Wesser, sums up my situation

Demha2020 wrote: »
    See my reply to Wesser, sums up my situation

The last time I heard (this was some time ago) there was a 20% upgrade on rechecks, and very few downgrades.

Have you seen your paper and a particular section where you think you should have got more marks?

The last time I heard (this was some time ago) there was a 20% upgrade on rechecks, and very few downgrades.

Have you seen your paper and a particular section where you think you should have got more marks?

I saw a few answers which weren't wrong, but they weren't on the marking scheme, my teacher also told me some were marked hard, and I literally need like one more correct answer. The thing I'm stuck on is, thinking of the worst possible result, i got marks i shouldn't have and I'm downgraded, can I lose my course if my points go below it.

I know the benefit is very marginal. Like:
    Pro: I get my 1st choice
    Con/risk: i could possibly lose med, I get it's unlikely but it's almost not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I am informed by the missus (a teacher) that, if you've been offered and accepted a CAO course then you will not be removed from the course you have been offered even if you are downgraded.

She is 99% confident of this, but maybe check it out with the CAO tomorrow as it would be a disaster if you lost your place due to misinformation from a faceless poster on boards.ie!

So... you're just looking for a recheck just for the satisfaction if have g a higher grade... even though you have the course you want?

I'm.sorry but that sounds like stupidity and also a streak of greed. Are you sure medicine is the right career for You?

• Advertisement

So... you're just looking for a recheck just for the satisfaction if have g a higher grade... even though you have the course you want?

I'm.sorry but that sounds like stupidity and also a streak of greed. Are you sure medicine is the right career for You?

Re read his posts again. He has a purpose. I'm guessing you didn't do medicine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I bet their teacher advised them to get the recheck for the teachers benefit.
    Would you say you have been "steered" into a recheck OP?

Re read his posts again. He has a purpose. I'm guessing you didn't do medicine :p

I asked the op why that were looking for a recheck and they said the only reason why is that they were so close to an upgrade.

The only reason I would advise looking for an upgrade is if it would get you medicine in a city or college that you would prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Remember that even if your appeal is successful you may not get your first choice if all places have been allocated. With medicine, I would imagine all courses would be filled. It takes time and you would be starting late if a place was obtained. Can't find any information on an offer being withdrawn for a downgrade. Check with the CAO and also the college which gave you the place. A difficult decision. How much is your first choice worth to you?

I asked the op why that were looking for a recheck and they said the only reason why is that they were so close to an upgrade.

The only reason I would advise looking for an upgrade is if it would get you medicine in a city or college that you would prefer.

Do you see the post where s/he said they were close to their first choice on the CAO form. This is obviously preferable to them such as being a medicine course closer to home (cheaper/preferred course).

Delphinium wrote: »
    Remember that even if your appeal is successful you may not get your first choice if all places have been allocated. With medicine, I would imagine all courses would be filled. It takes time and you would be starting late if a place was obtained. Can't find any information on an offer being withdrawn for a downgrade. Check with the CAO and also the college which gave you the place. A difficult decision. How much is your first choice worth to you?

They may be able to defer - gives them a choice at least.

BTW, OP, Galway is a lovely city.

Thanks yeah your right I'll check with the cao! Thanks for your help

Wesser, I appreciate your opinion. I am not going to throw away an opportunity to see if I would have gotten my first choice especially with two subjects so close to an upgrade. I love nuig and might not even take the offer if I got it. But life teaches ya to do what you might look back and regret not doing, even more so in my situation. I was looking for different perspectives to help me. As for my suitability to medicine, I don't think it's easily deciphered from a forum post about rechecks. Thanks.

My reply to wesser sums it up guys. Thanks for all the advise.

PS. I'm loving Galway too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Squatter wrote: »
    I am informed by the missus (a teacher) that, if you've been offered and accepted a CAO course then you will not be removed from the course you have been offered even if you are downgraded.

She is 99% confident of this, but maybe check it out with the CAO tomorrow as it would be a disaster if you lost your place due to misinformation from a faceless poster on boards.ie!

And not every teacher is a CAO expert, but in this case I am 99.99% confident that your missus is correct! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Demha2020 wrote: »
    Wesser, I appreciate your opinion. I am not going to throw away an opportunity to see if I would have gotten my first choice especially with two subjects so close to an upgrade. I love nuig and might not even take the offer if I got it. But life teaches ya to do what you might look back and regret not doing, even more so in my situation. I was looking for different perspectives to help me. As for my suitability to medicine, I don't think it's easily deciphered from a forum post about rechecks. Thanks.

If you are 3 marks away from an upgrade in ag science, then you are 37 marks away from a downgrade. That's basically a whole question. you are not going to be downgraded.

On the other hand you are not going to be upgraded, unless there is an answer worth at least 3 marks that wasn't awarded marks and should have been. If you can't find anything in your paper that merits those extra marks, then you are wasting your time and your €40. Marks are not given out just because you appealed.

Advertisement