Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seville Marathon

• 03-09-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭huber

I'm thinking of doing the Seville marathon in February and looking for any reports positive/negative from anyone that has done it before. Is it well organised? Good atmosphere? Easy to get to start etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

I have done it before Its top quality as regards organisation. Start is 2-3K outside the city center but tons taxis on the morning of the race so no issues, getting back there was a delay but with free beer at the finish I wasn't in much of a rush.
    Course is flat with one underpass @ 5K. Plenty of support for most of the race except last 2-3K go through a park finish in a stadium. I am going back again this year and would highly recommend it. There is a direct flight from Dublin Sat and Tuesday. I am flying in via Madrid on Friday sand back directly on the Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

On at the moment. Ken N. is doing it, forget his Boards name. Is it Zulutango?

Diablo Verde or his brother. Through first 5k in 20.32... I'll keep tabs on him for a while and hope that weather here warms up a tiny bit before I head out myself.

Anyone know his target?

Through 10k in 39.54. Wow, that's picked it up. Guess he's going for 2.48 or so. Strava says his best is 2.52.xx from Valencia in 2016. He does seem to like Spain that fella.

D., you on the ground in Sevilla with him?? (I know you are 'cos you did the breakfast run yesterday there!!)

Still on track at 15k anyway. 3.59 pace for a couple of seconds under the hour. I see on the Leaderboard that a fella who was doing 4.16 pace for the first 10k has gone through Halfway as Leader!!!! Oh, dear, hope he just took a wrong turn without meaning to. Cos going from 4.16 pace to 2.50 pace looks a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement

Shooot, just saw Mick Clohisey is doing it. 3.07 pace through 15k.

2:11:30 pace

Tracker gone haywire. I'm off out for my run. Good luck to all, especially the Irish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Itziger wrote: »
    Shooot, just saw Mick Clohisey is doing it. 3.07 pace through 15k.

2:11:30 pace

2.14.52, 19 second PB

Spectacular 2.47.xx for Diablo Verde with super splits and even a 2 second neg split!

For some reason I was sweating buckets today even though conditions where ideal overcast and Temps never went over 13
    Finished with 3:23:29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ger664 wrote: »
    For some reason I was sweating buckets today even though conditions where ideal overcast and Temps never went over 13
    Finished with 3:23:29

Good man Ger, enjoy the pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Spectacular 2.47.xx for Diablo Verde with super splits and even a 2 second neg split!

Thanks for the running commentary Itziger. That was me.

As Ger said, conditions where ideal for marathon running. My plan was to do the first half in around 1:24:xx and then aim for around a one min negative split for 2:47:xx. Ended up with the time but with even pacing. I found the last 10-12kms tough, hamstring was pulling a bit. Nearly went altogether at the stadium finish, entering the track via steep downhills.

The race was very well organised. Good standard of runner for finding groups to run with. Transport to and from stadium was good for me. Lots of crowd support in the central parts of town and the last 7k in particular. My only gripe would be paper cups for water and Powerade. I didn’t bother with the Powerade because of this which meant little or no electrolytes for me. For some reason they gave us a nice 330ml of water at 5km, would have been ideal to get that later in the race.

Sevilla is a great city. Apparently this race is the flattest in Europe but in my opinion Valencia is a flatter and quicker course. My next challenge is the steps in the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan stadium steps for Sevilla F.C. v A. Madrid this evening!

Cheers ðŸ»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done, savage time!! Enjoy the match & the pre game beers.

I'm always confused by usernames when I meet people in real life. MacPhisto it is!! Mind them steps and a draw or Atleti win please. That said, Valencia are going to need to win a few games themselves if they want to hold on to 4th. It did seem like a decent level of runner alright. Poor buggers in the M40 category were up against it: 2.13 won that cat.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kemboi

Sevilla is a great city. Apparently this race is the flattest in Europe but in my opinion Valencia is a flatter and quicker course

Hey MacPhisto,

Well done on a great run yesterday. I'm trying to decide between Valencia and Seville for a european marathon this/next year. Leaning towards Valencia and just seeing your thoughts above re: the course would you recommend Valencia over Seville overall. Thanks.

Kemboi wrote: »
    Sevilla is a great city. Apparently this race is the flattest in Europe but in my opinion Valencia is a flatter and quicker course

Hey MacPhisto,

Well done on a great run yesterday. I'm trying to decide between Valencia and Seville for a european marathon this/next year. Leaning towards Valencia and just seeing your thoughts above re: the course would you recommend Valencia over Seville overall. Thanks.

Kemboi, besides needing to find an extra 39k with your username, I admit I'm biased towards Valencia, but depending where you're based and how the rest of the year goes then you choose between training in August- November or November-January.

I know which one I'd choose. A word of warning, Valencia is a couple of weeks later in 2018. First Sunday in December I believe. I do like Sevilla as a city too and wouldn't mind doing the marathon but how it could be flatter than Valencia I have no idea.

Kemboi, besides needing to find an extra 39k with your username, I admit I'm biased towards Valencia, but depending where you're based and how the rest of the year goes then you choose between training in August- November or November-January.

I know which one I'd choose. A word of warning, Valencia is a couple of weeks later in 2018. First Sunday in December I believe. I do like Sevilla as a city too and wouldn't mind doing the marathon but how it could be flatter than Valencia I have no idea.

Thanks, haha yeah i've moved on from the steeple. Planning on running Cork in June and back into it then for an autumn one. Valencia suits as it's a bit later than Amsterdam/Frankfurt etc. and Seville was another option. Seen Seville is marketed as flatter so wondering what best option would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Kemboi wrote: »

Hey MacPhisto,

Thanks kemboi.

I would agree with Itziger. I think Valencia is flatter and faster. There were a couple of minor drags in Seville, one at 39km Mark was most unwelcome. Also, in the last 6k there are a few k run on hard stone in the old part of Seville city.

The timing of Valencia is good, training through an Irish end of summer and autumn prepares you well for conditions in Valencia in November (december this year). The weather is similar at both marathons. 10-18 degrees. Both events start at 0830 to avoid heat. Training through winter for Seville was tough enough with cold weather and strong winds.

Both marathons are very well organised and have good transport. However the Valencia expo is better and they do a better job for visitors in terms of media/apps/info in English language.

The finish in Valencia is very good and central, Seville finishes around 3km out of town at the Olympic Stadium. Crowd support is good at both events but Valencia probably edges that again.

A significant advantage of Valencia is that there is a parallel 10k event on the day of the marathon. I ran this myself last year and was then able to support my brother and another buddy who was running the marathon. This could appeal to friends and family who may want to accompany you.

Another big plus for Valencia is water and Powerade in bottles rather than the dreaded paper cups that were given in Seville.

I found Seville to be a more fun place to be before and after the marathon. Lots of good bars, cafes, restaurants and sights to see. Valencia is good but Seville wins on this aspect for me.

Both cities are pretty acccessible. There are direct flights to both places. If the days don’t suit (which happened to me), flights to Madrid and high speed trains are good.

Both marathons are excellent and either of them would be a good choice.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, just what i was looking for, much appreciated. Direct flights aren't great alright, going to go Madrid and the train. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks kemboi.

I would agree with Itziger. I think Valencia is flatter and faster. There were a couple of minor drags in Seville, one at 39km Mark was most unwelcome. Also, in the last 6k there are a few k run on hard stone in the old part of Seville city.

The timing of Valencia is good, training through an Irish end of summer and autumn prepares you well for conditions in Valencia in November (december this year). The weather is similar at both marathons. 10-18 degrees. Both events start at 0830 to avoid heat. Training through winter for Seville was tough enough with cold weather and strong winds.

Both marathons are very well organised and have good transport. However the Valencia expo is better and they do a better job for visitors in terms of media/apps/info in English language.

The finish in Valencia is very good and central, Seville finishes around 3km out of town at the Olympic Stadium. Crowd support is good at both events but Valencia probably edges that again.

A significant advantage of Valencia is that there is a parallel 10k event on the day of the marathon. I ran this myself last year and was then able to support my brother and another buddy who was running the marathon. This could appeal to friends and family who may want to accompany you.

Another big plus for Valencia is water and Powerade in bottles rather than the dreaded paper cups that were given in Seville.

I found Seville to be a more fun place to be before and after the marathon. Lots of good bars, cafes, restaurants and sights to see. Valencia is good but Seville wins on this aspect for me.

Both cities are pretty acccessible. There are direct flights to both places. If the days don’t suit (which happened to me), flights to Madrid and high speed trains are good.

Both marathons are excellent and either of them would be a good choice.

Absolutely fantastic time, serious kudos. Well done

I've done both a couple of times and prefer Valencia too

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Registration for next year opened today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Was considering it, but flights are very expensive, especially if you wanted to bring some family or kids.

Fly to Madrid/Malaga get Trian there is another option but with kids 6-8 hours travelling not ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Many in for this? How's your training going?

I'm flying into Faro very early Friday morning and the plan is to get a driver to bring us to Seville late Saturday afternoon. One of the drivers said it's only an hour from Vila Real.

This week represented 10 weeks out and delighted to get my first 20 miler under the belt.

Not enjoying the spontaneous cramping after though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I'm in, finished week 7 today, first 20 miler of the plan. Training going very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

You can get a bus straight from Faro airport to Seville, but I guess you have the driver booked already..

Cheers, I'm getting the train to Vila Real de Santo Antônio and staying there for the night. We holiday there every year, love the town.

I'm hoping with omnicron or the next variant that there won't be any issues with crossing the boarder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Any recommendations on Hotels near start/finish area?

• Advertisement

I'm staying here the Saturday night, booked it a good while ago on booking.com and I'm fairly sure it ticked every box, including being close to the start/finish but maybe double check

https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/spain/seville/melia-sevilla/index.htm

Advertisement