Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seville Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Booked flights and the same hotel. $h!ts getting real. Booked from Friday to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

3rd 20 miler today. 20 miles on the 2nd January, half marathon last Sunday in 1:38, 20 miles today in 2:50 hours. I fell out of love with running last year with all the **** going on, I am starting to feel really optimistic about this race, I am hooping for around 3:35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super job ISOP, are you tempted at all by a sub 3'30? Seems doable based off your half and the fact training is going well.

I ran a similar time this morning for my own 20 miler, felt good. Only 5 weeks to go.

5 weeks to go - 3 big weeks training left.

Ran a 1.25 half yesterday in Donadea - meant to be MP but felt a bit harder on tired legs and heavy'ish ground - no doubt it'll stand to me!

Does the long range weather forecast go out 5 weeks :)

Super job on the race, sounded very lonely, a certain mental toughness being built!

Just had a look at historical weather temps, Feb - mean 12.7° with a min of 7° and max of 19°. The 8:30 start very welcome.

Just had a pair of Vaporflies delivered this morning, looking forward to testing them on Thursday to see if they'll suit.

I've gone off the fuel cell elite, they're a bit too soft and they have me completely over pronating.

Have you guys sorted your shoes out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was due to do it a few years back but injury stopped me. I still went for the weekend.

The main thing I noticed with the weather was the huge difference between start and finish. Don't be tempted to add layers that you can't strip off and discard if needed along the way.

Best of luck with the training, its one of the best cities I've ever visited so enjoy

My default are the Next% but I do have a pair of AlphaFlys that I wore on a session last week and hated them initially - but then loved them as the run went on.

Will give them another roll soon enough and then decide.

ran a 1:37 half two weeks ago, am hopping for sub 3:30 but can't deal with any sort of heat once it goes over 15 or 16 degrees, tough 20 miler today through the center of the burren, 450m of climb, one more long one next week and then bring it on!

Yeah, love the heat but not for racing. Alex Hutchinson had an article out a few months back, apparently 7.5°c is optimum for marathon.

The 8:30 start is welcome and temps shouldn't be too bad at that hour. I was in Portugal start of January (about 90 mins from Seville) and the mornings were chilly, about 5 to 7° at 7am which is 8am Spanish time. I've also been wearing extra layers on my runs after my disaster in Malaga.

I did it 2 years ago, its great untill around half ten in the morning, then the sun starts getting strong and you are exposed aswell a bit in the last 10k. I sweat like a bollix so not good :) Are we meeting up for pints lads? I am staying untill Monday and have a 2 nights away from herself lol

• Advertisement

Won't be around for pints of cidona, our driver is bringing us back to Portugal at 2pm.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

nearest / cheapest flight option for an out friday evevning / saturday morning and back Sunday?

Week 14 over today, the last 20 miler. A few speed sessions now but no big stuff. Bring it on and hopefully I remain covid free

I'm super excited, getting a little ott though, weighing shorts and singlets, plugging every conceivable time into race calculators :-)

I've also changed my flight to Thursday evening, so as to have a proper lazy day Friday.

Initially I was targeting sub 3'30 but seriously considering sub 3'20, training has gone well last few weeks and I'm now 7.5kg lighter than my half in mid December.

Also thinking of running Marlay Parkrun this Saturday if the weather is favourable. Really want sub 20 and the last one was Feb 3 years ago, so seems about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

I also ran.it 2 years ago..It was chilly in the morning I wore cheap arm sleeves (ladies tights) and gloves at the start but I discarded them after a few miles.

It got warm but not too hot after 2 hours.

Enjoy the race it's great.

Decent Irish contingent to follow (robbed from Twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Anyone know where you apply for the refund? I'm injured so can't go but I can't see how I go about getting my money back...

2 weeks today, can't wait. Handy 13 miles today. Now the taper starts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Spanish marathons are fantastic the only downside is the lottery with the weather

TbL

CANCELLATION GUARANTEE

Once the registration is accepted, the amount paid shall not be refunded under no circumstances. Runners may add a cancellation guarantee at the time of registration. They must select one of the three options available:

1) I do not want any guarantee

2) Standard cancellation guarantee Cost: 10% of the registration price. Min €5.50 (residents). 80% refund until 6 February 2022.

3) Premium cancellation guarantee Cost: 20% of the registration price. Min €11.00 (residents). 100% refund until 6 February 2022.

• Runners shall only be able to contract the cancellation guarantee at the time of registration.
    • The cancellation guarantee amount is not refundable.
    • Changes in ownership shall not be accepted.
    • It is compulsory to contract it at the time of registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Thanks, I couldn't see where you actually apply for it. I emailed but got no reply

For some reason I can't unquote above.

Last session of note done, this time next week it'll be all over.

What nick is everyone in?

Is there a tracker?

I am feeling good, been training for a 3:29. I did a 16 week plan from runners world. My only worry is heat. I am really looking forward to it. I think there is a tracker but all the emails I am getting from the organizers is in Spanish, how are you fixed?

I started with 3'29 in mind but feel 3'19 is possible but like you, I'm worried about the heat for the last hour. I'm wearing sun appropriate colours. So next few days is just deciding what the target is.

The big plus about the race is they seem to have water/fueling stations every 3 to 4k.

If I can keep cramps at bay, I'll run a PB (2.52.58) - hopefully it wont be too warm - this weekend it was 13-14 degrees at 11am - that'll do if it holds for next weekend.

White mesh cap at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If it gets warm they have the fire brigade out with misters at certain sections of the course, definitely worth taking advantage of.

Fantastic marathon best of luck all

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Anyone have a link to a tracker for this? Best of luck all.

This was a smashing event, very well organised, lots of water stations, super flat with an energetic supporting crowd along the course.

I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

2:41:21. A new pb by 12 seconds.

Did not really know what to expect. Last Sunday week I wasn't travelling at all, my daughters passport had not arrived and not looking like to in time for our flight. So I had given up. Then Monday morning we got news it would be there.

So may have been a lovely distraction or a waste of energy.

Anyway I won't go to much in to the rest as its the same from 2020.

Ideally I would have loved a sub 2:40 but not to be, but a pb is a lovely consulation.

The pain came around 35km and was holding on. Probably the closest I have come to stopping ever. But with my wife and daughter waiting I had to keep going.

Anyway still out here for a few days, enjoying the warm weather and some family time.

Advertisement