Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Adaptive Fast Charging" usb in sockets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Adaptive fast charging is all very well if your guests only have Apple or Samsung or equivalent devices. The risk of putting a 2A USB socket in your house is that someone visiting your house plugs in a cheap tablet or mobile phone, fries it and then wants to claim the price of a new one from your household policy. I would never install sockets with USB ports for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

So long as the sockets are of decent quality there is no risk when charging non-Quick Charge compatible devices in the USB sockets. The Quick Charge technology only ups the voltage if it is confirmed the device plugged in meets the required specifications. It is the device being charged that requests the higher charging voltage.

lgk wrote: »
    So long as the sockets are of decent quality there is no risk when charging non-Quick Charge compatible devices in the USB sockets. The Quick Charge technology only ups the voltage if it is confirmed the device plugged in meets the required specifications. It is the device being charged that requests the higher charging voltage.

Excellent. What brand names should I be looking for for that 'decent quality'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You can never go wrong with MK: https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pages/USB.aspx - I'd trust that they perform due diligence etc. on any design

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Yep, MK one of the best, others include Zahler, Pearl. I don't think there's a UK/Ireland standard faceplate on the market yet that supports Quick Charge though. The MKs with a max of 2A is likely as good as you'll get currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I use the MKs... but be careful that you source them from a proper distributor.... there are fake chinese MK-branded double sockets with USB for sale on amazon and the like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Will they work with usbc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Stheno wrote:
    Will they work with usbc?

Yes. They should work perfectly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes. They should work perfectly

Doh on my part I thought the usbc port was part of the fast charger not the standard

Stheno wrote:
    Doh on my part I thought the usbc port was part of the fast charger not the standard

There's no such thing as a stupid question imo :)

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a stupid question imo :)

I just got a phone with usbc and forgot it works just fine with my laptop ports

Will be good to have one standard

coylemj wrote: »
    someone visiting your house plugs in a cheap tablet or mobile phone, fries it

How on earth is this going to happen?

Is one manufacturers 2A @ 5VDC superior to others?

How on earth is this going to happen?

Is one manufacturers 2A @ 5VDC superior to others?

Not every gadget can handle a 2A charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What if it's a cheap bluetooth speaker you bought in a pound shop? Or a very old mobile phone that expects a charge of around 600 mA?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What if it's a cheap bluetooth speaker you bought in a pound shop? Or a very old mobile phone that expects a charge of around 600 mA?

Then it could be an issue with any charger.

What happens when you plug a 200mA 230V standing lamp into a 13A domestic socket.

If it fries do you blame the socket?

The issue with providing a USB socket for visitors to use unsupervised is that someone can plug their gadget straight into the USB socket without using their mains charger. If that gadget draws too much current and is damaged in the process, they will blame the USB socket and you.

If they don't have the charger that came with the device and ask to borrow one, you at least have the opportunity to check what type of gadget it is and figure out whether you lend then an adaptive charger or something that's limited to 1A or less. I see no advantage in providing USB sockets around the house.

Most nonlinear USB loads will have current limiting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If that gadget draws too much current and is damaged in the process, they will blame the USB socket and you.

The same applies to mains voltage sockets in the same house. I have a number of them, mostly MK. Never had any issues.
    I think USB sockets reduce the risk as I know cheap and nasty chargers won't be used.

Many international airports including Dublin airport have installed large numbers of USB sockets allowing millions of passengers charge the entire spectrum of devices. Airports have traditionally been a target for "claim merchants", yet they don't seem to have any concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Many international airports including Dublin airport have installed large numbers of USB sockets allowing millions of passengers charge the entire spectrum of devices. Airports have traditionally been a target for "claim merchants", yet they don't seem to have any concerns.

Thousands are installed in modern commercial offices in above desk units

Stoner wrote:
    Thousands are installed in modern commercial offices in above desk units

I see a lot of hotels also have them bedrooms & some restaurants in airports have them everywhere you look

So I think we can conclude that there no real risk posed by USB sockets made by reputable manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Interesting video (from an interesting youtuber) about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos 
    He does these teardowns all the time, in a very soothing voice, examing design issues - very calming to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone tell me is there any difference between the 2 gang sockets with 1 usb and those with 2?

I got some fitted before but they just had the 1. Are the ones with 2 deeper and thus less space in the socket?

Or am I good to go with 2? Any difference in the charge output?

I do notice that the switches on the 2 usb sockets tend to be in the corners rather than in the normal middle position.

Thanks

Advertisement