Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS Website

Options
  • 03-09-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

I have a personal IIS Website hosted on a Windows 2008 Minimus package.

I'm trying to find out how to do 2 things

(1) Password protect the site

Do .htaccess and .htpassword files work on IIS Websites?

(2) Looking on how to password protect one page on my site, is there anywhere I can get code snippet that I can insert into the page to do this?

Note: I'm not a coder.

Thanks in advance.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It sounds like your site is hosted on Blacknight. I suggest contacting their support. They are very good.

There is a Knowledge Base article that sounds like it might help:
    Password protected directories on Windows Shared hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yep Blacknight it is.

I see from that Knowledge Base you can password protect a folder from within the user CP. I wonder if that includes the folder you main site files reside in? If it did it would cover protecting the website itself.

I can't find anything in their help section regarding protecting a page though.

I'll give them a shout and see if they can help.

Thanks for the reply demobrew ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I have a personal IIS Website hosted on a Windows 2008 Minimus package.

I'm trying to find out how to do 2 things

(1) Password protect the site

Do .htaccess and .htpassword files work on IIS Websites?

(2) Looking on how to password protect one page on my site, is there anywhere I can get code snippet that I can insert into the page to do this?

Note: I'm not a coder.

Thanks in advance.
    You can use the web.config to protect a folder and files in IIS.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9990760/web-config-allow-location-access-for-specific-user

It can be a fairly long topic - depends on if you want to allow specific windows users or if you want to store usernames and passwords - but the above is a good starting point.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're having issues please contact our helpdesk directly and they'll be able to assist.

Michele

Advertisement