Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options
  • 03-09-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all.

Looking for a bit of advice maybe even moral support.

I've recently returned home to Ireland having spent an year travelling the world. For the most part, life was good and I was very happy. In the end though things started to fall apart. To cut a long story short I broke up with my boyfriend, other stuff when down and I felt I had to come home. I've spent the last few weeks 'taking time out' to figure things out and decide what I want to do with my life. It has not been easy, but I finally have figured out the direction I would like to go career wise and I start a course next week. I'm in my late 20's, and while living with mammy and daddy was okay at the start-without them I would be lost but I need to get out of there asap for mine/their own sanity and independence.

The course I start is in Dublin, while it would be great to move up there, the thoughts of giving someone 600+ in rent a month to share for what prob would be a bog standard house makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sort of over renting and sharing to be honest. I dont want to buy a house as I don't want to trap myself with a mortgage in case I decide to runaway again.

So I've been looking into buying a commerical van, importing it from the UK and converting it myself into a motorhome. Stealth camping, I want to make it into my home. I've spent the last few weeks researching it online, I've read two books and two online courses about van conversion and really think its the thing for me. I by no means think it will be an easy road, but one step at a time I know I can do it. I suppose the only thing that holds me back is the lack of support I have from friends and family. My parents are especially worried and no one seems to know where I'm coming from they all think Im mad. The thing is I think they are the mad ones!!! why should I pay crazy rents for a home I'll never own, why trap myself with a mortgage when I'm single and don't know where ill be 5 year from now.

I dunno.. maybe I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only one out there that thinks like this and sees that there is another way to live in this country. I was so passionate about this at the start, but as the weeks have rolled by maybe I'm just starting to conform again and the lack of support does not help.

Anyone agree? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

No reason it can't be done.
    I worked in London when I was skint and lived in a van for 4 months.
    As long as you can arrange somewhere to wash you'll be grand. Don't expect to be having g guests over for dinner though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

First question that comes to mind - where would you park it?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

begbysback wrote: »

Not as much of a problem as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marielovesstea

begbysback wrote: »

Anywhere. Public parking, shopping centres, housing estate. The idea is to be stealth. ie white commerical van that blends in with the surroundings. I'm not looking for something that draws attention to myself. I'm not looking for a big caravan or motorhome that stands out a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I wouldn't be a big fan of the idea long term with a typical day to day routine. I assume you'll join a gym for showers etc. Whats your plan for a toilet at night?

If you were serious about the lifestyle I'd look into a boat and see about moorings etc. I'd love a canal boat but they can be pricey. It's a very popular practice in London.

I should add I lived in a van for a year in Australia and that was more a holiday than anything and it got long in the tooth after a while and we had the weather to be outside pretty much all the time. I wouldn't fancy sitting in a van in the pouring rain for days on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

would you consider a barge type boat ? lived on a boat myself for s year and loved it. would be more comfortable / safe than van in a car park id imagine. best of luck as I think your correct about mortgage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

What are you going to do about access to clean water?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

You won't hack it in the winter due to the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

How much would buying the van & converting it cost in comparison to paying rent for a house share?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What will you do for a toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This sounds incredibly dangerous for a woman by herself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Some skanger steals anonymous white van, finds girl asleep in back, instant rape-mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I suppose it depends on how much effort you put into the conversion - a van with a futon in the back could be a bit miserable, condensation will be an issue - it would be cold, damp and dark. Consider access to water, heating, cooking, showers, electricity, toilet facilities and so on.

On the other hand if you have the skills and time to undertake a proper conversion with onboard facilities, and are handy with electrics and plumbing then why not?

You may have issues getting insurance as the Irish insurance cartel has decided that private individuals are not allowed to own a van so you might find that you have to convert it to a reasonable standard and have it re-registered as a motorhome.

I lived in a 6.4m motorhome for a year while touring the continent (two adults and three small dogs), mostly free camping out in the sticks rather than using campsites as we were pretty much self sufficient - a refillable LPG supply, gas water heating, shower, toilet etc, onboard water tanks and two whacking great solar panels. We'd stay at a campsite about once a week to empty the toilet cassette and use the washing machine. Access to water was easy enough, the onboard tank had a 100 litre capacity which lasted a couple of days. I'd buy small quantities of diesel regularly, say 20 or 30 euros at a time, most garages have a tap and if buying fuel they don't usually mind you filling up with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Would you have Wi-Fi access/charger/table etc. for doing your coursework? Although I'd imagine that's the least of your priorities as others have pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

More power to you, I say. No property tax, rent, mortgage, etc,

What would you do for internet access/TV/entertainment?

How would you handle looking after meals/keeping food fresh (assuming you wouldn't have room for a fridge/freezer)?

Be prepared to keep the van serviced, NCTed, taxed and insured.

Speaking of which; would there be any insurance implications for living in this van?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't want to share.
    Don't want to pay rent and let someone else own.
    Don't want to own in case you decide to run away. (But owning a fitted out van would be ok).

Think you can just magically park in places overnight and no one will notice. (Yeah right: sure they won't. It's not like shopping centres and industrial estates have security guards who monitor vehicles).

Don't want to consider where exactly you'll toilet yourself.

Think you can safely cook inside a van.

In short, yes you are crazy. Bat-**** crazy, in fact. Possibly selfish too - in that you don't want to cover the your own living costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

No reason it can't be done, but best as a spring project.
    To source, import, diy-convert and insure now would also take ages and be met with mid-winter's occasional -10oC.

Fully expect this sort of idea to become more popular with the ever increasing shoe-box rents out there.

Would likely need loads of research and assistance to be done properly, so many factors:
    Inconspicuously & security, location, materials, insulation vs ventilation, power sources, utilities all important.
    There's a reason why the ever popular VWT4/5 feature-rich vans command such a very hefty new price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Think you can just magically park in places overnight and no one will notice. (Yeah right: sure they won't. It's not like shopping centres and industrial estates have security guards who monitor vehicles).

You be surprised to know for most part they don't care where people are parking over night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

In short, yes you are crazy. Bat-**** crazy, in fact. Possibly selfish too - in that you don't want to cover the your own living costs.

Well she clearly is willing to cover her own living costs on the basis that she's buying the van. In fact, as a student, she'll probably be paying a hell of a lot more towards her own living expenses than most students do

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Some skanger steals anonymous white van, finds girl asleep in back, instant rape-mobile.

Sorry but how is this helpful?! I understand there is a degree of risk involved. People can break into houses too you know. I'm not stupid, and risk parking it in a 'dodgy' area. I did the living in a van in France for a few weeks in areas I did not know very well and had no issues. Maybe educate yourself like I have before you post something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

You can get diesel heaters for your campervan. You'll need it even if you have it well insulated. Eberspacher or Webasto are the main players. Consider that these might make noise if you're parked up somewhere that's quiet.

Mobile broadband should be fine, either tethering to a phone or a wifi dongle.

Even if you're stealth you will need to be prepared to move around a bit. And you'll need to have a DOE on it every year if you're driving it, so it does need to be roadworthy even if you're parking up most of the time.

It may be cheaper for you to buy something that has already been converted and registered as a motorhome than converting your own.

Lots of tips on getting water already and you could easily stand up wash and shower in parents or friends once a week. You will want a way of heating water, boiling water to wash takes a long time and becomes a frustration.

My main concern would be security while sleeping and while you're away from the van with all your belongings in it.

I don't see how this idea could be significantlyy cheaper than renting a room for around €700/month. For a start, the van + conversion is likely to cost the guts of a years rent, while the tax, insurance, fuel etc would be the equivalent of two or three months rent.

What would this save you over the length of the term you're planning on living in it, and at what expenses in terms of convenience, safety, security, hygiene and comfort? Surely the negatives of living in a van severely outweigh those of sharing a house

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Don't want to share.
    Don't want to pay rent and let someone else own.
    Don't want to own in case you decide to run away. (But owning a fitted out van would be ok).

Don't want to consider where exactly you'll toilet yourself.

Think you can safely cook inside a van.

lol you can but a chemical toilet in a van and a gas cooker . She's not crazy plenty of youtube videos of people doing it around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Sorry but how is this helpful?! I understand there is a degree of risk involved. People can break into houses too you know. I'm not stupid, and risk parking it in a 'dodgy' area. I did the living in a van in France for a few weeks in areas I did not know very well and had no issues. Maybe educate yourself like I have before you post something like this.

Do you only want people to post if they're going to encourage you?

cocaliquid wrote: »
    lol you can but a chemical toilet in a van and a gas cooker . She's not crazy plenty of youtube videos of people doing it around the world.

Where would you discharge the the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

wobbie10 wrote: »
    would you consider a barge type boat ? lived on a boat myself for s year and loved it. would be more comfortable / safe than van in a car park id imagine. best of luck as I think your correct about mortgage etc

Barge living is basically not allowed in Ireland. Plus even if it was, barges are actually quite pricey to buy. You are looking at 50-150k for one. Plus other fees etc.

Vans are pretty safe. The main reason why vans get broken into is tools are advertised on the side of the van ie tiler branding plastered on the side. Most van breaks in are opportunistic ie you left a laptop on the dashboard in clear view. You can get excellent van alarms

The biggest issue I can see with living in a van is insurance. I can't imagine an insurer being happy with a van modified to a home. Although you can pick up not so pricey campervans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Where would you discharge the the tank?

Where do the ethnic minority discharge their tanks?

No reason it can't be done, but best as a spring project.
    To source, import, diy-convert and insure now would also take ages and be met with mid-winter's occasional -10oC.

Fully expect this sort of idea to become more popular with the ever increasing shoe-box rents out there.

Would likely need loads of research and assistance to be done properly, so many factors:
    Inconspicuously & security, location, materials, insulation vs ventilation, power sources, utilities all important.
    There's a reason why the ever popular VWT4/5 feature-rich vans command such a very hefty new price tag.

Thanks for your post. Yes I am looking into this thoroughly. Researching everything from paying VRT, reregistration of the vehicle, insurance, installing windows, vents, insulation, security, electrics water tanks, shower/toliet options, bed, hobs, gas etc etc. I've a refill pad full of research. Ive watched hours and hours of online tutorials, read books on it. I know I'm not an expert, but the more i look into it the more it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Jaysus this country is miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anywhere. Public parking, shopping centres, housing estate. The idea is to be stealth. ie white commerical van that blends in with the surroundings.

Living in the equivalent of a prison solitary cell?

Why not get a caravan and get it parked in a traveller site?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement