Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Shadylou wrote: »
    How do you know?.....we have researched it very carefully, my partner us a carpenter and can do s lot of the renovations.
    We are looking a vans that we can fit 2 bedrooms, a kitchen/diner and sitting room
    It can be done

That's called a CARAvan!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Pelvis wrote: »
    A van, for two adults and three kids?

I'm going to be frank, you're kids should be taken away from you if you actually go ahead with that “plan".

Judgemental much?...... you have no idea of what we're planning and to suggest my kids should be taken out of a living home is disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Judgemental much?...... you have no idea of what we're planning and to suggest my kids should be taken out of a living home is disgusting
    Yes, when you voluntarily move your 3 children into a VAN then I'm most certainly going to judge you. No amount of planning will make a van suitable for a family of 5 on a full time basis, it's absolutely bat **** insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,969 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do you know?.....we have researched it very carefully, my partner us a carpenter and can do s lot of the renovations.
    We are looking a vans that we can fit 2 bedrooms, a kitchen/diner and sitting room
    It can be done

No you can't. Unless you don't know what a van is and are misconstruing what is Meant by the term van five people cannot live in a van.

Yes, when you voluntarily move your 3 children into a VAN then I'm most certainly going to judge you. No amount of planning will make a van suitable for a family of 5 on a full time basis, it's absolutely bat **** insane.

You know nothing, it's all about compromise and at the moment both myself and my partner are working all the hours we can just to barely keep our heads above water, we can give the children a much better quality of life while still having my partners parents house close if we need anything ie washing showers etc
    You need to broaden your horizons and have a look at what can be achieved here

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    No you can't. Unless you don't know what a van is and are misconstruing what is Meant by the term van five people cannot live in a van.

Yes we most certainly can,you know nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How can 5 people live in the back of a van. Its 4m x 2m. Its basically 2 double beds.

Im going to quote you directly.

This is a quote you wrote on a previous thread.

'Children need to feel secure at home and at school'

You cannot live out of a transit with your partner and three kids one of which is a newborn.

I think you need to wise up.

Shadylou, I genuinely admire your optimism and determination to give it a go. But realistically, two adults, two small children and a newborn in a van, even a BIG van? I'd give it one wet, cold weekend in February when you are all cooped up there together for you to reconsider your choices. You say your parents are nearby? That's handy for emergencies, but if you decamp to their house for daily chores, I have a feeling you'll be spending more and more time there as time goes on, (especially in winter), and less in the van (your actual home) with your small children. Your parents may be delighted with this, or you may find yourself rapidly outstaying your welcome, especially as you have a 'home' to go to, but cannot fully live there if you have to go to their house for baths, laundry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You'd get a heart attack if you were around in the the 70's and see the conditions some people lived in also smoking in pubs big difference to someone smoking a meter away from you out doors.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You'd get a heart attack if you were around in the the 70's and see the conditions some people lived in also smoking in pubs big difference to someone smoking a meter away from you out doors.
    It's called progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's called progress.

And there was me thinking it was called snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Op I think it's an amazing idea if planned for properly....... it's definitely something myself and my partner have considered. He has a small plot of land, too small to build a house on so we are seriously thinking of getting a van and renovating it for us and the family (2 kids and 1 on the way)
    We need a van as opposed to a mobile home because we need to be able to move it every 28 days to get around planning issues

What you're proposing is very different to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Did any of you ever read "Little house on the prairie"? Ever have an ancestor raise a family in a thatched cottage?
    (without benefit of electricity, gas, or the internal combustion engine)
    Ever see the size of a Tokyo flat? An Ethiopian hut? A gypsy caravan?

Of course it is possible and millions do it every day. Modern motorhomes have all sorts of gadgets and gizmos, not to mention the ability to travel round to places that have flush toilets, showers and swimming pools, launderettes and libraries.

I'm amazed again by the narrow complacency of the bourgeoisie. Adventure and initiative are what makes the world go round. Possessions are NOT what life is about. Maria the tealover and Lou the shady are courageous and imaginative and I say they should go for it.

Even if it doesn't work out, so what? Lots of useful experience and nobody dead, eh? Sell on the vehicle, start scanning DAFT, and join the dreary rat-race of owing your salary for the next thirty years.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Did any of you ever read "Little house on the prairie"? Ever have an ancestor raise a family in a thatched cottage?

None of those examples are relevant to either the OP's or Shadylou's situation though.

Of course it is possible and millions do it every day. Modern motorhomes have all sorts of gadgets and gizmos, not to mention the ability to travel round to places that have flush toilets, showers and swimming pools, launderettes and libraries.

I'm amazed again by the narrow complacency of the bourgeoisie. Adventure and initiative are what makes the world go round. Possessions are NOT what life is about. Maria the tealover and Lou the shady are courageous and imaginative and I say they should go for it.

Even if it doesn't work out, so what? Lots of useful experience and nobody dead, eh? Sell on the vehicle, start scanning DAFT, and join the dreary rat-race of owing your salary for the next thirty years.

Little House on the Praire??? You do realise that's based in the 19th Century? Any idea what the mortality rate was back then? How about you have another look at the size of their house.

Ethiopia? You do realise that's a third world country?

I'm sure Tokyo flats have plumbing and insulation at the very least.

None of these examples really help your argument.

We're also not talking about a modern motor home, we're talking about a converted van. Millions do not do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

How you can be sure nobody will be dead. My main objection to living out of a some self converted van would be safety, especially fire safety. Once you squeeze too many things and people into small places there is way bigger chance something will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

How can 5 people live in the back of a van. Its 4m x 2m. Its basically 2 double beds.

Vans come in different sizes you know.

The longest panel van I'm aware of (Iveco Daily XXLWB) has a 5m load space and that's before you consider Luton box vans and such, furniture removal vans which can make very nice motorhome conversions due to their dimensions.

427324.jpg

My preference is for a large wheelchair accessible minibus, I've my eye on one of these if I ever do a self-build motorhome conversion again.

427323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's weird how after decades of progress, not only are we accepting of declining living standards, we're actually cheering it on and pretending it's liberating or cool. It's the beginnings of a mass delusion.

We have spent the summer travelling France in a converted 4 berth van and found it just fine, we encountered some bumps along the the way but sorted them out fairly quickly ( much as you would do with a house ie plumbing, heating etc)
    Were looking at the iveco model and weve added up the square footage and made plans that should work for us as we only need to have a compost toilet because we will have use of showers, I will not need to work as at the moment all my wages are going on rent and childcare and I work such long hours i do tend to rely on convenience food a few days per week so we can make savings with me being at home every day.

• Advertisement

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Vans come in different sizes you know.

The longest panel van I'm aware of (Iveco Daily XXLWB) has a 5m load space and that's before you consider Luton box vans and such, furniture removal vans which can make very nice motorhome conversions due to their dimensions.

427324.jpg

My preference is for a large wheelchair accessible minibus, I've my eye on one of these if I ever do a self-build motorhome conversion again.

427323.jpg

Don't care what you say. That's a truck in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

you know nothing

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRW3TNvBbdolruEs0poK3RHrhS5PNtJ1RybJYUILGDQdQc98NG5kQ

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This thread is mad ..

Vans are for delivering goods people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Just tell yourself it's a van shaped house and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

listermint wrote: »
    Don't care what you say. That's a truck in my book.

Isn't truck an American term? Fair enough we're getting into semantics here, but I'd say that top one is a large van and not big enough to qualify as a lorry - a lorry is something much bigger with a GVW of over 7.5 tonnes which requires an HGV licence to drive. A very large box van based on a panel van chassis doesn't fit into that category.

We do tend to refer to furniture removal vans, not furniture removal trucks or lorries - at least I've never heard the term used that way.

Anyway, nit picking perhaps but I'd say it is a van, albeit a big un! :)

Meanwhile I've found this very nice 6 berth motorhome based on a Luton, which shows what can be achieved. More bells and whistles than my house! Just a matter of finding 60 grand down the back of the sofa :D

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/2010-renault-exploris-955r-6-berth-professional-lorry-conversion/1182203488

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: I think the OP has been given more than enough advice here. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement