Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It may not be practical in Ireland for all the reasons mentioned, but I don’t care. I love this idea and I love that you are seriously considering it, OP. I’ve often thought about this, especially in light of the recent price gouging of young people. Interesting piece in the IT today as well about squatters. If you do try it be sure to report back, but whatever you decide, best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

Sorry but how is this helpful?! I understand there is a degree of risk involved. People can break into houses too you know. I'm not stupid, and risk parking it in a 'dodgy' area. I did the living in a van in France for a few weeks in areas I did not know very well and had no issues. Maybe educate yourself like I have before you post something like this.

You post online and then give out about the responses :D

Anyway, doesn't sound too bad. The toilet would be the most annoying thing. Even if you had a portaloo for night, it would be a pain to empty it every morning.

You'll probably spend a lot more eating out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Just a thought, but you could make it safer and more predictable if you can make a formal arrangement to park somewhere for a small fee. Perhaps ask around the area where your college will be. People can be helpful, particularly if they have a bit of a yard or hard standing that's not in use normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I think it's a great idea OP. Don't listen to the negativity!

When I first read your post I thought the only thing that makes you "mad" is asking this on an Irish forum but I'm pleasantly surprised that there are as many positive replies as negative ones (so far). It always brings me a glimmer of hope when I see the odd Irish person who is not a sheep.
    I was so passionate about this at the start, but as the weeks have rolled by maybe I'm just starting to conform again and the lack of support does not help.

Don't let it happen! I lived abroad for years and had forgotten the obsession here with conforming and fitting in with the done thing. It was a shock to the system when I moved home a couple of years ago but I'm determined to not let the negative mindset creep in. Don't let others kill your passion!

All of the points you make about buying vs renting are valid. People here are blinded by this obsession with property. Unless you have loads of money to start with, you're either going to be screwed by a landlord or screwed by the bank. Well, why can't there be other options? Well done to you for thinking of one. You are likely to be screwed by insurance companies but that would be the case if you were to get any type of vehicle anyway.

As for people dismissing it because of the climate, Ireland is extremely mild. I spent months in a van in the NZ South Island in winter. It's way colder there and parts of it are just as wet, if not wetter. As long as you're kitted out properly, you'll be fine, probably cosier than most places you could rent in Dublin from what I've seen. An important thing to consider is somewhere to dry your wet clothes + shoes if you've been out in the rain.

It sounds like you've done your research from a practical point of view. You're the only one who knows if you can handle it. I think most Irish people think it would be horrific to live without every modern convenience imaginable. If you've travelled the world, I'm sure you know that's not the case.

Is there anything stopping you other than what other people say? If not, go for it. You only live once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

You think living at home is affecting your sanity, living in a white van not built for that purpose, having each wash and wee being a massive ordeal, not to mention freezing your hole off (what if we get a winter like 2010-11?) is that going to make you feel stable and sane?

Unless they are abusive, this is a ridiculous step to take. The costs and hassle involved will make no advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As somebody mentioned previously, a boat on the canal would be a far more viable option. There's a ready made community of liveaboards to join who would be more than happy to advise. Its cheap, it can be really cosy, and it works. I have several friends living in the water. Some with kids. One couple bought a boat after saving years for an apartment. The deposit they'd saved bought them a bigger living space than any apartment they could have afforded, especially as the prices were rising faster than they could possibly save.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh I love it. Great idea. Sure it's not as if you have to do it. It's your choice and You have alternates if it does not work out.

On the really cold nights. Underground car parks would help. Use mine If you want. Came across a car in my local Aldi and I reckon someone is living out of it. Assumed they are homeless. But now it could be there choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

OP i admire your train of thought here. but unless you plan on using the Van for long distance transport you paying for a functionality you won't use. add to this all the practical obstacles already mentioned in the thread. also down the line if your life situation and requirements change, you will have a depreciating asset that you may have to get rid of.

If i were you i would get settled in. stay at your parents for a while and start networking as much as you can. A girl in her late 20's is a very favorable choice as a flat mate. you need to ask yourself what house share cost would be acceptable to you. then ,through networking, aim for it.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

I think you've watched too many youtube vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

....... wrote: »
    Parking will be dead easy. Noticed this morning as I drove past several local pubs at 9am how many people left cars parked overnight in them. And the carparks locked up to keep them safe.

Don't think that the publican would be too happy having someone sleeping in their car park. Its a hobby of certain people to check pub car parks as they know that there will be several hours before a robbery will be reported. How would the OP get out in the morning when the pub doesn't open till 10am?

• Advertisement

In short, yes you are crazy. Bat-**** crazy, in fact. Possibly selfish too - in that you don't want to cover the your own living costs.

Lol!

Obviously it's selfish to have a mind of your own and do something different to the crowd, even though it doesn't impact on anyone else at all! In fact, it's one less person looking for accommodation in a housing crisis, so she's actually benefitting others and quite the opposite of selfish.

SteM wrote: »
    Do you only want people to post if they're going to encourage you?
    You post online and then give out about the responses :D

She didn't give out about any of the negative responses apart from the one that suggested she'd be raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Del2005 wrote: »
    you can't get private insurance on a commercial vehicle.
    I have private insurance on a commercial vehicle. It's taxed privately and insured privately. As long as it's not used commercially there's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Do it.
    If you were my daughter I would be saying don't do it purely from a safety point of view.
    Anything is possible. Crazy ideas aren't necessarily stupid. A guy went on Irelands top talk show about 30 years ago and was laughed at when he suggested he'd sell people water.( At the time it would have been akin to selling fresh air!) - His company? - Ballygowan.

That annual inventions show also introduced John Concannon selling a plastic bucket with three teats on it - Look at JFC plastics.

They're just high profile ones.

As I said- safety would be the only thing I'd worry about, apart from that there are solutions for just about everything nowadays. I take it your essentially just using it to sleep in for the most part so I'm intrigued. Please PM me a report on how you got on if you decide not to do so here.!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

endacl wrote: »
    As somebody mentioned previously, a boat on the canal would be a far more viable option. There's a ready made community of liveaboards to join who would be more than happy to advise. Its cheap, it can be really cosy, and it works. I have several friends living in the water. Some with kids. One couple bought a boat after saving years for an apartment. The deposit they'd saved bought them a bigger living space than any apartment they could have afforded, especially as the prices were rising faster than they could possibly save.

How much does it cost for them to moor the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 twiddletwaddle

Op if you are seriously prepared to live in a van, with all that, that entails, then I'd point you more in the direction of a boat and living on the canals.

You don't have to buy a fancy barge/ narrow boat, as you are prepared to consider living in a van a cabin cruiser would do you fine. A lot nicer place to live.

I'd imagine you will have to keep moving as permanent mooring live aboard is getting tightly regulated, but you can stay in the one spot for five days and then move on, not sure how tightly this is monitored.

Here's a link for you with mooring options. Look up waterways ireland mooring options.

waterwaysireland.org/things-to-do/boating;%20/56/mooring-options

Look up "cabin cruiser" on dd.

Stay in places with some sort of public transport or do you have a car already?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Op if you are seriously prepared to live in a van, with all that entails, then I'd point you more in the direction of a boat and living on the canals.

You don't have to buy a fancy barge/ narrow boat, as you are prepared to consider living in a van a cabin cruiser would do you fine. A lot nicer place to live.

I'd imagine you will have to keep moving as permanent mooring live aboard is getting tightly regulated, but you can stay in the one spot for five days and then move on, not sure how tightly this is monitored.

Here's a link for you with mooring options. Look up waterways ireland mooring options.

waterwaysireland.org/things-to-do/boating;%20/56/mooring-options

Look up "cabin cruiser" on dd.

Stay in places with some sort of public transport or do you have a car already?
    But the boat isn't much good if you want to drive somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Go for it OP and f**k the begrudgers.

They are only pi$$y and moany cos they can't get to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I agree, why not give it a try. Its not an ideal situation but could work for a few years. Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

kupus wrote: »
    Go for it OP and f**k the begrudgers.

They are only pi$$y and moany cos they can't get to do it.

It's easy to say this but people have raised valid concerns in fairness. Ive converted a panel van to camper and living on the side of the road isn't something I'd be jumping in to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The main problems will be -
    1- Insurance, make sure your vehicle will comply with insurance company requirements in order to protect your investment.

2-Safe place to park. There are some very nasty people out there and all the optimism in the world won't protect you from them.

3-Cold. But if you insulate the van to a high standard and use a really good sleeping bag it might not be too bad.

If you can sort these most of the other stuff is a question of how much you can put up with ie the cramped conditions, lack of water, light etc.

Could you get someone to let you sleep in their van for a few nights to "try before you buy" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Barge living is basically not allowed in Ireland.

Vans are pretty safe.

There is nothing preventing liveaboard's by statute in Ireland. See http://http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/247/made/en/print

Over the decades I've had one van stolen completely, one broken into for tools. Both with no sign writing.

Over the same period I've had one boat broken into and only the pot belly (thank Darwin) nicked. Whether for the scrap metal value or to keep some caravan dwelling scrote warm over the winter I'll never know.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How much does it cost for them to moor the boat?

Mooring a "canal" boat is the problem from a liveaboard perspective. Keeping a boat on the canal, on which you live aboard, is a different thing. See above link.

If you are prepared to continuous cruise on Irish canals and move every five days (and keep to the other bye laws) it can be as little as €126.00 per year (plus a small, comparatively speaking, arguable insurance premium to gain the correct permit).

A permanent mooring/ berth is a different story and can be comparable to renting/ mortgage (depending on GCD or Shannon Harbour or a grass canal bank in the middle of no where.

However there are a lot more costs and considerations than the €126 permit when considering this as a permanent housing solution, as evidenced by the few (per capita) that live this way.

However that said, IMO A boat is more suited to this off grid way of lifestyle. A van (not campervan) is a disastrous idea IMO.

PM me and I'll sell you a good boat.:)

To answer your title question, yes living in a van is mad!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKDd4P1Zuc_JLSgHlBkygrMrXoXWrHOrFV4PE9nMpIM-gqB_51

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not find a course that's not in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

You think living at home is affecting your sanity, living in a white van not built for that purpose, having each wash and wee being a massive ordeal, not to mention freezing your hole off (what if we get a winter like 2010-11?) is that going to make you feel stable and sane?

I am going to hazard a guess you have not travelled for a somewhat reasonable time? eg about 3 months minimum. You have to understand the mindset that OP has at the moment after travelling.

If you travel for a decent time, you realise that you can live out of a small rucksack. You realise that having a 4 bed semi-D in South County Dublin filled to the brim with stuff is not what makes you happy. Materialistic stuff that does not make you a whole lot happier.

I did the long term travelling. There is something refreshing and liberating about having only a small bag of things. Mark Zuckerberg wears the same clothes all the time, as he does not want to waste time picking clothes out in the morning. Some people (obviously OP) realise having a house filled with materialise possessions is not the key to happiness.

How is OP going to be more sane and stable getting a mortgage on a house that she will have to pay off for the next 30 years? Would Mark Zuckerberg be more sane and stable if he filled his wardrobe up with clothes he does not like to wear?
    Unless they are abusive, this is a ridiculous step to take. The costs and hassle involved will make no advantage.

Or OP is content with having minimum material possessions. The negatives of living in a van are smaller to spending a fortune on rent or committing to a mortgage they have no desire to get

Some people just don't seem to realise that post Celtic Tiger/global financial crisis, a lot of people have finally realised that the house you can't afford and the stuff you don't really need, does not makes you more happier than not having them. If not buying into the fantasy of living beyond your means makes you insane and unstable in 2017. Call me insane and unstable.

OP is not insane or unstable. They are like most younger Irish who not living their life based on what others think about them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A lot of passion here for van ownership, I love me van type sentiment. I never knew this existed in Ireland. Real philosophical angle here aswell, real sit down and ask yourself some hard questions about life, real rage against the machine sentiment.

I'm nearly bought myself here.

Yes, too many people in this country do not do something because someone close to them has told them they can't do it or didn't believe in them. We are living our lives governed by fear. It's a never ending battle to meet the expectations of others. Op, I say get that van asap and rock on. Tammy Wynette style, stand by your van, park it wherever you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marielovesstea

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. Bit tired so this post will be a short one. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, fair enough. To those that get it- thanks for the encouragement. I understand the safety concerns but l could just as easily die getting hit by a bus! Also I believe people are essentially good, even if the news doesn’t want me to think that! To me, it’s much scarier having a 250k mortgage to pay to the bank for the next 20+ years than it is to spend 15k on a van I could have for life. I don’t want to be that mammy on the AIB who said it is ‘surreal to own her own home’ and that now 20years later she has in her words ‘freedom’. Why cant I and you have freedom now? To me that is essentially what the van encompasses. Theres a lot more to it really.

Till tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ok, well if you are set on it, 15k will buy you a pretty decent conversion. The good conversions seem to hold their value pretty well also.

If your heart is set on doing the conversion yourself, I'd suggest looking at a mini bus as a base vehicle as there is no requirement to pay VRT when it's changed over to a camper. This will save you a few k. It will also have windows in it which is a requirement for either revenue or insurance (maybe both) and save you having to cut into a panel van yourself. It will also more than likely be lined and have a floor in it, but it wont be insulated so you might have to do something about that. Make sure it has a 1.8m internal height as that will give you more insurance options.

Check out the motorhome/camper forum if you have questions.

Seriously think about the internal layout and get as big a van as you can drive on your license (maybe a sprinter) but that's also under 3.5t. It's possible to get a shower room and toilet into a camper of this size. There is a campsite near Newlands cross where you could potentially stop in once a week to empty the tanks and chemical toilet

I think its a mad idea but good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Well, it makes me wonder what all the homeless families cooped up in hotel rooms are cribbing about. All you need is a van...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've considered it, when I had to move and find accommodation, fantasised about it. Thought of the positives and many negatives.

The main thing that stopped me was:

No easy way to test out the realities of it in someone else's conversion/setup.
    I wouldn't have the skills to do a conversion
    ...no drivers licence (lol) could be resolved fairly easily.
    Lack of cash to get started.

Hope it works out OP. I've long considered that we may see more of this happening considering the problems with housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Keep doing your research and if you can do it, go for it.
    You sound to me,(from a couple of lines on boards), like you won't be staying here too long.

Don't listen to the advice below.

Don't want to share.
    Don't want to pay rent and let someone else own.
    Don't want to own in case you decide to run away. (But owning a fitted out van would be ok).

Think you can just magically park in places overnight and no one will notice. (Yeah right: sure they won't. It's not like shopping centres and industrial estates have security guards who monitor vehicles).

Don't want to consider where exactly you'll toilet yourself.

Think you can safely cook inside a van.

In short, yes you are crazy. Bat-**** crazy, in fact. Possibly selfish too - in that you don't want to cover the your own living costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement