Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Think there was a similar post on this theme here last year, but was closed as folks thought it was all in jest.
    The tabloids run regular stories on folks doing this, but they're usually semi-retired in Cali or near the Med.

Some points on above comments:
    i) Can't compared the young free single worldly traveled, to families holed up in hotels.
    ii) Boats/Barges is nonsense, even along the Thames there's max 1,000 with very large wallets for the setup/costs involved.
    iii) Insurance is critical, seen a young Canadian get her van lifted (and very likely crushed) in a European capital city for having no tax.
    iv) Weather: really shouldn't be started/attempted outside of April-Sept at 53oN. It's not the 101, nor Pacific Highway.
    v) Ideally should be done as part of a loose collective. With young-workers/post-grad types, rather than your more traditional ethnic stereotypes.

Along with this, can also envisage the rise of cubicle hotels or city sleep pods, sure even the Bankers avail of this facility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I have private insurance on a commercial vehicle. It's taxed privately and insured privately. As long as it's not used commercially there's no problem.

Private tax on a van big enough to live in will be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kupus wrote: »
    Go for it OP and f**k the begrudgers.

They are only pi$$y and moany cos they can't get to do it.

The old begrudgers line, how in the name of jaysus could someone begrudge a person living in a van :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

this is a brilliant idea, honestly.

Have thought about this myself.

And the parking thing is easy. Go to the nicer parts of town, and park it there overnight. Parking is free in most places during the night.

Might be difficult to execute the entire conversion yourself. Just buy one which has all the amenities already.

Its thinking outside the box for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'd like to see the costs involved here? Do you have the numbers OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. Bit tired so this post will be a short one. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, fair enough. To those that get it- thanks for the encouragement. I understand the safety concerns but l could just as easily die getting hit by a bus! Also I believe people are essentially good, even if the news doesn’t want me to think that! To me, it’s much scarier having a 250k mortgage to pay to the bank for the next 20+ years than it is to spend 15k on a van I could have for life. I don’t want to be that mammy on the AIB who said it is ‘surreal to own her own home’ and that now 20years later she has in her words ‘freedom’. Why cant I and you have freedom now? To me that is essentially what the van encompasses. Theres a lot more to it really.

Till tomorrow!

You mentioned you were in your late 20s OP. Have you considered how you're going to have a life while you live in this van? There's nothing worse then leaving college or work to go back to somewhere that you don't really want to go back to, that you're just putting up with.

Personally, if I were in your situation I'd be looking at moving to a country that has a lower cost of living and rent there. You're still young, nothing to tie you down and a better quality of life than living in a van imo.

I was lying in my bedroom last night trying to think how I'd manage if a lot of my time was spent in a place that was smaller and less secure than that one bedroom. If I'm honest it's not something I could ever sign myself up for, no matter how tied down I feel with a mortgage.

My wife's family 'dropped out' when she was 6 years old in England in the late 70s. They sold everything (although they didn't have much), bought a bus and drove it down to the south of France and lived in it for years converting it over time. They did a deal with farmers for work in exchange for being able to stay on land and have access to water. They were able to spend a lot of time outdoors because the weather was generally good but my wife always talks about how cramped everything was, how she could never have friends over etc. I've spoken to my mother-in-law about it in the past. She still lives in France but remembers the time in the bus as being very draining after the initial drive down and the novelty wore off. Her and her husband had no interest in being tied down to a traditional house though and the warmer weather there was better for her bad chest.

My brother was chucked out of his apartment in Wicklow last year and lived in the back of his van for a few weeks while he found a new place. Just a plain white van, no markings I think. He would park up and put his head down but he said that the amount times he was disturbed was crazy. There were always busybodies asking him to move on (especially the nicer estates and roads because they don't want 'dodgy looking' vans around), jobsworth security guards. The Irish are very protective over their bit of dirt, especially in cities imo. They don't like the thought of people moving in on it.

If you're desperate to do it while in college then I'd be parking at least 4 nights a week in an underground carpark like the one under Aldi in Tallaght, find a quiet corner where there's not much chance of being disturbed. €5 for 24 hours, pretty secure and would be warmer than outside too. It's close to The Square for toilet use, food and there are clothes washing machines there. It's near the Luas if you didn't fancy driving. Library across the road that you could use for studying etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

My advice to the op is to do the maths.
    Figure out the time period e.g. 4 years and work out a weekly budget.
    I have experience working on motor homes/campers/vans and all I can say is they are very expensive to work on / fix / upgrade.
    Can you do this setup / repair business yourself. if not your talking big money.

the reason I recommended a caravan is cause you can purchase one for 2 to 5 grand fully working. no modding needed, no engine so no very little repairs. you can still use car as main transport for college/work/life
    you just need a place to put it. holiday homes 20 ish or go for cheaper option work out a deal with a farmer etc. or some one you know.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not an issue if you don't drink, but if you do you'll have to be careful to make sure you stay on the right side of drink driving laws. If you're intoxicated and the key is in the ignition it's an offense, doesn't matter if the van isn't moving at all.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Wow what an emotive subject just because it doesn't conform with some peoples ideas.

I have a friend that has been living in trailers caravans and most recent a bus converted to a camper.
    Its luxury op instead of parking in carparks etc.
    Have a look for someone on the outskirts of Dublin who would let you park there maybe even let you connect to there electricity my friend does this with a guy who lives alone the extra security helps both as there is always someone around etc.
    You can buy a camper or even a mobile for really cheap and they come pre insulated some even with oil central heating etc.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Move in as a lodger somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My advice to the op is to do the maths.
    Figure out the time period e.g. 4 years and work out a weekly budget.
    I have experience working on motor homes/campers/vans and all I can say is they are very expensive to work on / fix / upgrade.
    Can you do this setup / repair business yourself. if not your talking big money.

the reason I recommended a caravan is cause you can purchase one for 2 to 5 grand fully working. no modding needed, no engine so no very little repairs. you can still use car as main transport for college/work/life
    you just need a place to put it. holiday homes 20 ish or go for cheaper option work out a deal with a farmer etc. or some one you know.

The op is going to find a farmer or landowner in Dublin who would do a deal with them for parking? as everyone keeps saying what about toileting facilities what about electricity? what about heat in the winter its Ireland not the med . The gym is alright for showers but that is all, launderette for washing and drying clothes.

It sound like stressful hard and a fantasy if done in the disorganised way the op is talking about and if they want to do it around Dublin. It is different doing in a situation where it is commonly done and is organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Post:

Keep it civil folks, and keep the posts constructive. There are enough smart comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where do the ethnic minority discharge their tanks?

If you mean Travellers why not just say Travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Pelvis wrote: »
    If this was a good idea, we'd all be doing it. It's not a good idea, it's idiotic.

A good idea like borrowing 10 times salary for a sh1tbox apartment like everyone was doing and seem to be heading there again you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

I've lost track of the thread and responses OP but has Tiny House Movement been mentioned yet? Not necessarily vans and not a big thing in Ireland yet but may point you in the direction of people doing this or thinking about it too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Niece wrote: »
    I've lost track of the thread and responses OP but has Tiny House Movement been mentioned yet? Not necessarily vans and not a big thing in Ireland yet but may point you in the direction of people doing this or thinking about it too

Tiny houses cost upwards of 80 Grand.

People seem to think they are some liberating thing but there is huge cost in getting anything like that and yes you have to find somewhere to park them.

Irelands climate is not kitted out for the lifestyle the OP prescribes to . That is the reality of it and to describe people as begruding by some posters on here is just daft.

OP would be better placed to emigrate somewhere to fulfill their wishes.

professore wrote: »
    A good idea like borrowing 10 times salary for a sh1tbox apartment like everyone was doing and seem to be heading there again you mean?

But there are other options for the OP. It doesn't have to be a lifetime of debt if she doesn't want it, at the same time she doesn't have to decide to live in a van either. It's not an either/or situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this guy yet: Google Employee Lives in a Truck but it seems to work for him.

I suppose if you could park it near the college you are attending it wouldn't be too bad as you would have access to showers, toilets, canteen etc. during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

listermint wrote: »
    Tiny houses cost upwards of 80 Grand.

People seem to think they are some liberating thing but there is huge cost in getting anything like that and yes you have to find somewhere to park them.

Irelands climate is not kitted out for the lifestyle the OP prescribes to . That is the reality of it and to describe people as begruding by some posters on here is just daft.

OP would be better placed to emigrate somewhere to fulfill their wishes.

I offer no opinion on tiny houses, the OP wanted tips and I offered a place to find them. I made no comment on people being begrudging, as I pointed out I lost track of the thread. I know that people have kitted out vans to do this and thought this would be helpful if the OP wants to continue looking into this. It's up to the OP at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

The Niece wrote: »
    I offer no opinion on tiny houses, the OP wanted tips and I offered a place to find them. I made no comment on people being begrudging, as I pointed out I lost track of the thread. I know that people have kitted out vans to do this and thought this would be helpful if the OP wants to continue looking into this. It's up to the OP at the end of the day.

Where in the post did i indicate you said people were begrudging

And where on an internet forum board do people not want opinions on a query.

It is up the the OP at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some points on above comments:
    i) Can't compared the young free single worldly traveled, to families holed up in hotels.
    ii) Boats/Barges is nonsense, even along the Thames there's max 1,000 with very large wallets for the setup/costs involved.
    iii) Insurance is critical, seen a young Canadian get her van lifted (and very likely crushed) in a European capital city for having no tax.
    iv) Weather: really shouldn't be started/attempted outside of April-Sept at 53oN. It's not the 101, nor Pacific Highway.
    v) Ideally should be done as part of a loose collective. With young-workers/post-grad types, rather than your more traditional ethnic stereotypes.

It's being done in Dublin by more people than living a transient life in vans. It's not all barges and canal moorings. I know a couple living afloat in a fine suburb of Dublin with ready access to showers, toilets, laundry, electricity, wifi and security, for the annual cost of about three months rent in their old apartment. Entry prices for cruising yachts are a fraction of a barge price and a lot less conspicuous. Where there's a will there's a way.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's being done in Dublin by more people than living a transient life in vans. It's not all barges and canal moorings. I know a couple living afloat in a fine suburb of Dublin with ready access to showers, toilets, laundry, electricity, wifi and security, for the annual cost of about three months rent in their old apartment. Entry prices for cruising yachts are a fraction of a barge price and a lot less conspicuous. Where there's a will there's a way.

And marinas allow all year round living on a boat do they if that is the case it could be a solution to the op issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

mariaalice wrote: »
    The op is going to find a farmer or landowner in Dublin who would do a deal with them for parking? as everyone keeps saying what about toileting facilities what about electricity? what about heat in the winter its Ireland not the med . The gym is alright for showers but that is all, launderette for washing and drying clothes.
    I doubt the OP is intending to sleep in a bare panel van. A fully equipped motorhome conversion will have all of these facilities onboard - a toilet and shower with gas water heating, full 12 volt electrical system with a bank of leisure batteries charged by solar panels as well as mains/alternator when available, and a decent blown air heating system using either diesel (Eberspacher) or LPG (Propex etc). Added to that a three way fridge, cooker and so on. All you need is to empty the toilet cassette once a week and fill the water tank every 2-3 days. I lived this way for a year, admittedly travelling around the continent where people are generally more accepting of motorhome tourism.

11.JPG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And marinas allow all year round living on a boat do they if that is the case it could be a solution to the op issue.

My friend tells me that officially they don't but they operate on a 'don't ask, don't tell' basis and are happy to have paying customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Dun laoghaire doesn't but may be dublin port? Grand canal dock or similar, would be a guess.

shaunr68 wrote: »
    I doubt the OP is intending to sleep in a bare panel van. A fully equipped motorhome conversion will have all of these facilities onboard - a toilet and shower with gas water heating, full 12 volt electrical system with a bank of leisure batteries charged by solar panels as well as mains/alternator when available, and a decent blown air heating system using either diesel (Eberspacher) or LPG (Propex etc). Added to that a three way fridge, cooker and so on. All you need is to empty the toilet cassette once a week and fill the water tank every 2-3 days. I lived this way for a year, admittedly travelling around the continent where people are generally more accepting of motorhome tourism.

Everyone is fully aware of what a fully equipped conversion is like.

Would you live in one in Ireland for, i think the OP said 5 years?

There is no living space, your bed becomes your seating area, you need outside space as living space and the weather in ireland is not accommadating in that respect.

shaunr68 wrote: »

11.JPG

The OP is not talking about 'motorhome tourism' though. She's talking about stealth camping. A big difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

listermint wrote: »
    Everyone is fully aware of what a fully equipped conversion is like.
    Not sure they are to be honest, judging by the number of comments asking what about toilet facilities, what about cooking/showers/heating etc as if such things are unheard of in a vehicle.

No, i wouldn't live in one in Ireland for any length of time but it seems the OP would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Here's an idea for a lazy conversion:
    Buy one of those micro-pods and roll it into the back of a plain cheap van (remove wheels and chassis).

http://golittleguy.com/trailer/model/mypod/36/
    https://www.2berthcaravan.co.uk/

Probably only practical for brief R&R, on the plus side easy to resell to the weekend-only glampers

Screen_Shot_2017-09-04_at_16.08.49.png

The tabloids love to run these escape 9-5 stories, but this couple are of course up on the coral coast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement