Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marielovesstea

okay.. er that didnt work...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

rustynutz wrote: »
    Personally, if faced with paying 800 a month for a shared room in some grotty student accommodation, or a well kitted out camper, I would pick the camper everytime. I've done the house share thing, and I've done a couple of weeks at a time in a camper, and id say the camper is the better option. But I love the freedom of a camper,like I suspect the OP does.
    Come to think of it, for that sort of money over the course of a year (9-10K) you could pick up a late 90s coachbuilt motorhome with all the bells and whistles and after the year you'd still be left with a considerable asset, rather than pissing the money away on rent for some grubby bedsit.

Of course the big if is being able to stump up that sort of cash in advance, and you'd have to be wary of damp with something of that vintage, but you can't go wrong with a 90s Hymer, they're bombproof.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-S555-MERCEDES-2-9-DIESEL-MOTORHOME-CAMPERVAN-LHD/322667565928?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D108f0febea6f48188a8af26f6c936abe%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D182600332988&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Alright, not very stealthy but shows what you could do with the money as opposed to handing it all over and ending up with nothing to show for it after a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Day Lewin wrote: »
    À modern student who needs accommodation in Dublin may be offered a shared room, mattresses on the floor, for eight hundred a month, it said on the radio yesterday. No private loo, no lockable door, no private cooking facility. Shared mess and smells.

I bet you can't link to one single example of student accommodation matching the above description.

If living in a van is advantageous as described, blatant lies about the alternative shouldn't be necessary

There's plenty available on daft which, bizarrely, seem of a significantly higher standard than you describe all for less than €800/mth. Hell for €350/mth you can share a room in Smithfield Market, a beautiful complex in which you'd be paying close to €300k for a 1 bed

http://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/dit-bolton-street/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near&s%5Bmxp%5D=800

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Also, don't know if its already been suggested, but consider using a crewcab van as the base vehicle, that way you get windows (tinted) while still maintaining the stealth look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I bet you can't link to one single example of student accommodation matching the above description.

If living in a van is advantageous as described, blatant lies about the alternative shouldn't be necessary

]

You're right, I can't, because it was on the radio, RTE morning news in the last few days.
    The rent would have been shared between the four miserable tenants of the room.
    And don't call me a liar, it's rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You're right, I can't, because it was on the radio, RTE morning news in the last few days.
    The rent would have been shared between the four miserable tenants of the room.
    And don't call me a liar, it's rude.

So it's €200/mth rather than the €800/mth you stated? I didn't mean to insinuate you were lying, but it was pretty misleading

Life isn't all about money. The OP would be gaining freedom on so many levels, which is worth so much more.

She doesn't want to live in a house share, she said. I don't know about you but if I really didn't want to do something, I wouldn't do it, and money wouldn't enter the equation.

Yeah

You were, if I'm honest, one of the posters I was referring to.

The thread intent is to save money and try this out to see if it's doable.

Good luck to the OP, but if she doesn't save money by doing it then that would seem not to fit the brief, regardless of the other difficulties involved which would appear very significant.

Cheerleading is a pretty morally ambiguous activity if someone is making bad decisions that don't impact the cheerleader. I'm willing to come across as the joyless accountant if that's the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And Dublin needs more caravan/motorhome parks, for sure.
    I'm unsure if the OP has factored in paying to park at night.

The van getting clamped may not matter to the OP, but if it's towed with all their stuff in it, with no access to it next day at 10am after paying a fine of maybe €180, this will be an inconvenience.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    Most guys don't care if they get the ride in a van, a compost heap, or a nuclear waste storage vessel, a ride is a ride.
    Although a ride is a ride, most lads I know would exist left if brought back to a caravan/van/halting site/etc on the side of a road for the ride.

marielovesstea; you're a new user, so you can't post links. Also, you post them as URL links, not IMG links.
    http://www.instagram.com/p/BBOcLOmhiai
    http://www.instagram.com/p/BJh4k4yDwQT/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

the_syco wrote: »
    Most guys don't care if they get the ride in a van, a compost heap, or a nuclear waste storage vessel, a ride is a ride.
    Although a ride is a ride, most lads I know would exist left if brought back to a caravan/van/halting site/etc on the side of a road for the ride

At the risk of straying into politically incorrect territory, there's a world of difference between being invited back to a students camper van and being invited back to a halting site in fairness (the lack of 17 brothers to beat six types of shîte out of you being but one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think that's it in a nutshell. You've got nothing to lose.

I wish people in favour of the living in the van would be less glib about this decision; if the OP purchases the van and converts it, and then decides after a few weeks that it isn't for her, she could be down thousands of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I mean, that does look very nice. But bear in mind that has a nice filter applied, the sun is shining, and the sliding door is open; it will be a different story on a dismal November evening with the rain hammering on the skylights.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BBOcLOmhiai
    http://www.instagram.com/p/BJh4k4yDwQT/[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I knew this thread reminded me of something I had read

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/camper-van-gives-illusion-of-freedom-2012061430501
    Vintage camper owner Nikki Hollis said: “Apparently ‘freedom’ means ‘travelling slowly in considerable discomfort while using ****loads of petrol’.

“Although I suppose in normal, conventional life you don’t get to cook sausages on a faulty gas ring while crouched next to a plastic box containing human faeces.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

À modern student who needs accommodation in Dublin may be offered a shared room, mattresses on the floor, for eight hundred a month, it said on the radio yesterday. No private loo, no lockable door, no private cooking facility. Shared mess and smells.

What are you on about? Christ I could offer you a single chip for €50, but then you'd tell me to f-off and go to the chipper and get a whole bag of them for 2.50.

Things are bad in Dublin, but they're not 800 per month for a shared room with a mattress on the floor bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

El Tarangu wrote:
    I mean, that does look very nice. But bear in mind that has a nice filter applied, the sun is shining, and the sliding door is open; it will be a different story on a dismal November evening with the rain hammering on the skylights.

Exactly. It looks nice because the door is open and there are windows. The reality might be more like that van someone posted from Donedeal a few pages back, which looked more like a smelly wet cave. I wouldn't like to see anyone living in that. And I don't know how you could have windows in a van in Ireland without every scumbag in the country banging on them and looking in at you.

I don't know how you could have windows in a van in Ireland without every scumbag in the country banging on them and looking in at you.

Write JOHN BOY WARD ROOFING AND TARMAC SERVICES across the side and nobody will bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Write JOHN BOY WARD ROOFING AND TARMAC SERVICES across the side and nobody will bother you.

You will be watched like a hawk though.

You will be watched like a hawk though.

All the better from a safety perspective :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MOD: The next remark about Travellers will earn a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Seems like a crazy idea in Ireland. Maybe i

1. Its coming into winter and you will be freezing cold in a van.
    2. Its a van with no space for anything.
    3. Where will you shower and go to the toilet?
    4. You will have no social life.
    5. Where will you get mail?
    6. Where will you park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

This can easily be done. Did it myself for a while, back in the day.... but I did have regular access to my parents house at the weekends

My experience

I bought a small mini-bus, a Nissan Serena (think Toyota Hiace for a size comparison). I blacked out the windows so that I could see out but nobody could see in. Bought small camping gas cooker, a small fridge, a porta pottie and a 50 Gallon water tub for washing myself.

Most important item was a 500w DC power invertor attached to the vecihle battery (This could boil a kettle, run a microwave, run a small heater, tv, computer etc. although not all at the same time obviously) and I would run the Van engine occassionally to recharge the battery...

I was setup for about €3000 (including tax/insurance)

Used it for the Mon-Tue-Wed-Thur nights of College/work and then spend the other three at home with the parents, empty the toilet, stock up on food, do laundry etc. I also used it for camping holidays & festivals ...best purchase I ever made. Sadly I wrote it off in a crash eventually, if I hadn't, I'd probably still have it.

For those that think €3000 is a large outlay ... had I not crashed it, I could probably have sold it on later for what I paid fot it. So in effect it would be free accomodation.

To be honest I am surprised Universities are not setting up Camper van/caravan sites for students as the accomodation crisis deepens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

1. Its coming into winter and you will be freezing cold in a van.
    2. Its a van with no space for anything.
    3. Where will you shower and go to the toilet?
    6. Where will you park?

1. Its coming into winter and you will be freezing cold in a van. >> can be a bit nippy but once you have heated up the space, it stays warm.

2. Its a van with no space for anything. >> Plenty of space for the essentials... but you will need a home base for other 'stuff'.

3. Where will you shower and go to the toilet? >> A midweek douche will suffice until you get your main scrb ata the weekend at home.

4. You will have no social life. >> Not necessarily ;-)

5. Where will you get mail? >> At home

6. Where will you park? >> Just need to use the head and not park too long in any particular place or any place where you might get clamped or get aggro etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Most important item was a 500w DC power invertor attached to the vecihle battery (This could boil a kettle, run a microwave, run a small heater, tv, computer etc. although not all at the same time obviously) and I would run the Van engine occassionally to recharge the battery...

How did you connect it, through a cigarette socket or direct leads to the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

3. Where will you shower and go to the toilet? >> A midweek douche will suffice until you get your main scrb ata the weekend at home.

Join a Ben Dunne gym all the a hot water and loo roll you could ever need for < 300e/ pa

Also you can lift weights and look buff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The OP is going to be a student, most colleges and universities have gyms or other facilities with showers in them that students can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this can be used for cooking or boiling water for tea .
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PORTABLE-COOKER-BUTANE-BOTTLES-CAMPING/dp/B005LVFEWW
    this is about 12x10inch approx
    25 euro in camping supply shop just off capel street ,on the right as you go towards the liffey.
    Theres 2 burner stove 40 euro approx.
    4 gas cans are 10 euro.for a 4pack.
    I used one for 4 weeks ,just for tea and coffee ,when i had no standard cooker to use.
    one can lasts about 8 days .
    you can remove the can in 2 seconds or press the disconnect can switch
    for safety .
    I know theres someone living in a caravan in a lane about 300 yards from
    dorset st .
    it looks like its there for at least 6 months
    Theres no signs in the lane re parking ,theres no yellow lines on the road .
    The lane is a cul de sac.
    It would be easier to buy a small stove than installing
    an electric cooker from a battery /convertor .
    Theres people living in bedrooms smaller than a van.
    It depends on your attitude , re social life ,what friends you have .
    i think theres plenty of spaces around dublin ,
    where you can park a van for free ,if you look around lanes , in the city centre .
    theres many empty buildings in dublin ,which have lanes behind them .
    With free parking space ,
    The caravan has most of the windows covered with metal.
    You can pm if you want more info.
    you,ll only get clamped if you park on double yellow lines or a car park /space owned by a private company which has a contract with a clamping company.
    You,d need to put up a security grill on the inside of the back windows ,at least .
    To stop someone breaking into the van when you are gone out.
    i,m presuming the back of the van would be separate from the front of the van .
    i,d be more worried about security than other issues ,
    see youtube videos ,about micro tiny apartments in japan.
    You.ll need a convertor unit to provide power for a laptop ,charging phones etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

To be honest I am surprised Universities are not setting up Camper van/caravan sites for students as the accomodation crisis deepens

It realy is surprising that hordes of drunken students are not encouraged to use flimsy gas burners and smoke in dodgy van conversions. What could ever go wrong.

Op, how good are your diy skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marielovesstea

1. Its coming into winter and you will be freezing cold in a van.-

Ireland is cold but as long as the van is well insulated/waterproof I don't see it being an issue. There are special heaters for motor homes that can be fitted into the van too- and I would only need the heater on for a few mins. I know of a guy who lives in his van in ski resorts in Austria in winter, so if he can survive that I'm sure I can survive Ireland's comparatively milder winter.

2. Its a van with no space for anything.-

I do realize its a van, its small but there is space. The space has to be used cleverly and has to be multifunctional. E.g sofa that pulls out into a bed. You obviously havent looked into it like I have it, so I'm sorta dismissing your statement. Google it, look up van conversions on pinterest and you'll see how people have mad the most of the limited space.

3. Where will you shower and go to the toilet?-

In a shower and toilet fitted in the van (which I don't forsee myself using much) a backup, only really if I have to. Plenty of shower and loos in the gym I can avail of.

I don't see how my social life would be any different to a person living in a house. Infact I think it would make me more sociable and I could park closer to the action. No expense taxis home for me! :D

At home. I don't get a lot of mail, most of it is paperless/ email billing. I think there is also now online postal mailboxes- where you can have your mail scanned and view online so it doesn't actually go to a physical postal address. If getting mail is a reason to live in a house your argument is pretty poor.

6. Where will you park?

Most likely I would have to move around different housing estates, places with free parking at night. I just need to be smart about it. I honestly don't think you would notice the van. Like how often do you look at white panel vans really? Unless you're looking to rob it... i doubt it will draw much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Most likely I would have to move around different housing estates, places with free parking at night. I just need to be smart about it. I honestly don't think you would notice the van. Like how often do you look at white panel vans really? Unless you're looking to rob it... i doubt it will draw much attention.

Our community alert system goes into overdrive when unknown van drives around the area. A van that no local residents own will most certainly draw attention, you might even get Garda visit if they feel particularly proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

For instance shopping centres in blanchardstown have free parking,
    theres no gates or fences , they are open 24/7 .theres loads of spaces in dublin with free parking ,if the city centre area is handy for you .
    For instance theres various lanes near mountjoy square .Dublin 1
    most industrial estates have free parking ,
    and are usually empty after 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't see how my social life would be any different to a person living in a house. Infact I think it would make me more sociable and I could park closer to the action. No expense taxis home for me! :D

Do you ever drink when you are socializing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement