Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a Van. Am I mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

6. Where will you park?

Most likely I would have to move around different housing estates, places with free parking at night. I just need to be smart about it. I honestly don't think you would notice the van. Like how often do you look at white panel vans really? Unless you're looking to rob it... i doubt it will draw much attention.

You may not get much attention in public car parks or other places like that, but in housing estates I'd imagine you would. In my estate there are a god few vans parked regularly, belonging to people who live in the estate. Everyone here knows who owns what one, and an extra van parked overnight, particularly for a few nights in a row, would definitely get noticed. It might not bother any or all of the residents, but they would definitely notice.

FWIW, I think it's a challenging but definitely doable idea. I just think the parking will be trickier than you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

OP, if this is in Clontarf Road, then move the van. the council are onto you and so are hundreds of local residents who are "afraid" of residents in the adjoining house. i have it on good authority that is coming your way soon if its you and if it a camper van

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

conf101 wrote: »

You may not get much attention in public car parks or other places like that, but in housing estates I'd imagine you would. In my estate there are a god few vans parked regularly, belonging to people who live in the estate. Everyone here knows who owns what one, and an extra van parked overnight, particularly for a few nights in a row, would definitely get noticed. It might not bother any or all of the residents, but they would definitely notice.

FWIW, I think it's a challenging but definitely doable idea. I just think the parking will be trickier than you expect.

They will get noticed in estates and most certainly in public car parks.

Security in these areas are going to notice the same van parking over night and there are a limited number of places to park free of charge. So you're going to get recognized eventually which may cause you issues.

But hey, if she is willing to go to the hassle of it all and save some cash then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

riclad wrote: »
    For instance shopping centres in blanchardstown have free parking,
    theres no gates or fences , they are open 24/7 .theres loads of spaces in dublin with free parking ,if the city centre area is handy for you .
    For instance theres various lanes near mountjoy square .Dublin 1
    most industrial estates have free parking ,
    and are usually empty after 7pm.

Most of the car parks in Blanchardstown are locked overnight and all the car parks are patrolled overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about http://www.apolloduck.ie/listings.phtml?cid=140
    guy I used to work with has one moored down by the grand canal dock. You'd sell it again for much the same price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Most likely I would have to move around different housing estates, places with free parking at night. I just need to be smart about it. I honestly don't think you would notice the van. Like how often do you look at white panel vans really? Unless you're looking to rob it... i doubt it will draw much attention.

Im not going to give my opinion on the whole topic because by the looks of it, you are not listening to people who are against the idea.

But just so you know if you park in a private housing estate, be sure you will 100% be noticed and would be removed fairly promptly!

If you do decide to go ahead, as many other people have pointed out, I think you are better off trying to find a permanent campsite for your van or else find a very nice friend who would be willing to let you park in their driveway. I think you are naïve to think that people would be ok with you parking and sleeping outside their driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

By the way OP, have you thought about what address will you give to any companies you wish to purchase from or do business with, or any public services you may wish to interact with? Would you rent out a PO box for your post, etc? These are all things to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hello all.

Looking for a bit of advice maybe even moral support.

I've recently returned home to Ireland having spent an year travelling the world. For the most part, life was good and I was very happy. In the end though things started to fall apart. To cut a long story short I broke up with my boyfriend, other stuff when down and I felt I had to come home. I've spent the last few weeks 'taking time out' to figure things out and decide what I want to do with my life. It has not been easy, but I finally have figured out the direction I would like to go career wise and I start a course next week. I'm in my late 20's, and while living with mammy and daddy was okay at the start-without them I would be lost but I need to get out of there asap for mine/their own sanity and independence.

The course I start is in Dublin, while it would be great to move up there, the thoughts of giving someone 600+ in rent a month to share for what prob would be a bog standard house makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sort of over renting and sharing to be honest. I dont want to buy a house as I don't want to trap myself with a mortgage in case I decide to runaway again.

So I've been looking into buying a commerical van, importing it from the UK and converting it myself into a motorhome. Stealth camping, I want to make it into my home. I've spent the last few weeks researching it online, I've read two books and two online courses about van conversion and really think its the thing for me. I by no means think it will be an easy road, but one step at a time I know I can do it. I suppose the only thing that holds me back is the lack of support I have from friends and family. My parents are especially worried and no one seems to know where I'm coming from they all think Im mad. The thing is I think they are the mad ones!!! why should I pay crazy rents for a home I'll never own, why trap myself with a mortgage when I'm single and don't know where ill be 5 year from now.

I dunno.. maybe I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only one out there that thinks like this and sees that there is another way to live in this country. I was so passionate about this at the start, but as the weeks have rolled by maybe I'm just starting to conform again and the lack of support does not help.

Anyone agree? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

to answer the original question, yes you are mad, this is in no way a sensible idea and anyone advising you otherwise is irresponsible.

part of college / 3rd level life is living with other people, making new friends etc. Sharing doesnt have to be bad.

This is like some sort of opt out from society and has about a 90% chance of being a disaster and/or a waste of money and time.

Forget about it and start looking into room shares or digs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Cyrus wrote: »
    to answer the original question, yes you are mad, this is in no way a sensible idea and anyone advising you otherwise is irresponsible.

part of college / 3rd level life is living with other people, making new friends etc. Sharing doesnt have to be bad.

This is like some sort of opt out from society and has about a 90% chance of being a disaster and/or a waste of money and time.

Forget about it and start looking into room shares or digs.

i second this.
    not only is it illegal - you will be caught. the amount of complaints received by councils nationwide about this EXACT issue in the last year or two has been phenomenal.

whether you find a parking spot or not, you will be clamped first, you will be brought to court with enforcement orders from councils, you will be "known to police" within days, you will be moved on time and time again and eventually they will just remove the van and destroy it or make you pay a hefty fine for getting it back.

you also face the prospect of absolutely ZERO security to every degree. it's not hard to open up a van compared to a house/apartment. especially if you have to park it somewhere obscure/discreet to avoid detection.

sure you could come back one day and the whole thing is either gone, destroyed or burnt out.

dont do it. move home to mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

There are quite a few camper vans parked at Howth harbour because the parking is free. Some have been there a while, so there is a little community about.
    Howth is on the DART and a regular bus to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of the major problems surely revolves around security. If you park somewhere highly visible, in order or maximize your (perceived) safety, you'll be easily spotted and probably asked, or ordered, to move on. On the other hand, if you park somewhere secluded, away from any "nosey parkers", it also provides the ideal cover for anybody intent on breaking in, or worse, attacking you.

Seriously, if it was that good an idea, everybody would be doing it ... it isn't, and they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

officially you will be *of no fixed abode* which could have serious implications further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

officially you will be *of no fixed abode* which could have serious implications further down the line.

There's no official "of no fixed abode ". Status. She can just use her parents address

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

i second this.
    not only is it illegal - you will be caught.
    Illegal how exactly, what laws would you be breaking? Prior to moving to Ireland we spent several happy summer holidays tootling around the west coast in a motorhome without staying on a single campsite. Ireland is a great destination for wild camping in a motorhome, difficulty with disposal of domestic waste was the only problem we experienced, ended up recycling most things and taking a few small bags of rubbish home with us on the ferry! :D

EDIT: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/54293-touring-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

rents in dublin are expensive, Even with a large deposit its hard to get a flat or a house share .
    Vans are mobile , you can park in a different space each day if you want ,
    if you park close to a wall in a corner the windows on one side will be covered up ,
    and the back window will be covered .
    covered as in theres no space to open the window by an intruder.
    i dont think the council cares if one van parks in a free parking space,
    if its not on a double yellow line ,or blocking an exit or fire door.
    my friend parks in a car park 3 nights a week.since 2011
    outside a cluid building .in Dublin
    cluid is a social housing housing charity.
    He has never recieved any complaints from anyone .
    its a public car park .
    theres no clamping or tickets issued there to anyone.
    How much will it cost to insure a van for a 20 year old student.
    you have to pay insurance,petrol costs .
    insurance for under 25,s is expensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh actually I do know of someone now who lived in a van. In the tiny car park opposite Clontarf Yacht and Boat Club. He was a member of the club so used to spend the night in there and then tipsily cross the road to his van. He was German I believe. They called him "the mad German", because obviously he was an out and out loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deadlydreads

It's great to see so many positive replies, if all else fails you will still have something that you can sell or just use for camping trips!
    I would be a bit wary of parking in random spots, but that's something I'm sure you'll figure out. I'd definitely like to see a blog of your progress.
    Best of luck with it all

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Illegal how exactly, what laws would you be breaking? Prior to moving to Ireland we spent several happy summer holidays tootling around the west coast in a motorhome without staying on a single campsite. Ireland is a great destination for wild camping in a motorhome, difficulty with disposal of domestic waste was the only problem we experienced, ended up recycling most things and taking a few small bags of rubbish home with us on the ferry! :D

EDIT: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/54293-touring-ireland.html

Difference is is that's the west of Ireland....not Dublin City where the OP wants to set up camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Ashbx wrote: »
    Difference is is that's the west of Ireland....not Dublin City where the OP wants to set up camp.

What law exactly would she be breaking?

fxotoole wrote: »
    By the way OP, have you thought about what address will you give to any companies you wish to purchase from or do business with, or any public services you may wish to interact with? Would you rent out a PO box for your post, etc? These are all things to think about.

Not sure why people see this as an issue he can just use his parents address. I haven't lived at home full time for about 8 years but it's still the address I use for all my mail, the address when opening accounts or anything at all really I just say I live at my home address as it's just handier.

There are a lot of issues and difficulties with the ops plan, having a mail address isn't not one of them.

The one point I would make on it is being able to head home for 3 or 4 night every week could be the difference between this being doable and not. Sleeping at home fri, sat and Sunday night every week and only travelling to Dublin on Monday morning thus only spending mon, tue, wed and thurs in the van would make it all a lot more doable. Some courses may even have fridays off from class (I know I had for 2 years in undergrad) so the op could be at home 4 nights if that was the case and only in the van 3.

He could also do all laundry, most of the weeks cooking etc at home and bring it with him for the week.

• Advertisement

What law exactly would she be breaking?

I never said she would be breaking any laws. The post I replied to said it was easy to park up anywhere in the west of Ireland. I was pointing out that you cant compare the two really. Parking at the side of the road in rural Ireland is a lot different to parking in Dublin city.

She wouldn't break any laws that I am aware of but she would upset some people if she tried to park in a housing estate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres plenty of free parking spaces if you look around dublin.
    The main issue i see is security .If you drive around dublin theres still alot of empty buildings and derelict buildings in the city centre .
    its obvious they are empty as they are boarded up and unused by the owner.if i wanted to park in an estate i would speak to the local people
    i ask them is it ok ,
    but i see no reason to park in a housing estate .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Not sure why people see this as an issue he can just use his parents address. I haven't lived at home full time for about 8 years but it's still the address I use for all my mail, the address when opening accounts or anything at all really I just say I live at my home address as it's just handier.

There are a lot of issues and difficulties with the ops plan, having a mail address isn't not one of them.

The one point I would make on it is being able to head home for 3 or 4 night every week could be the difference between this being doable and not. Sleeping at home fri, sat and Sunday night every week and only travelling to Dublin on Monday morning thus only spending mon, tue, wed and thurs in the van would make it all a lot more doable. Some courses may even have fridays off from class (I know I had for 2 years in undergrad) so the op could be at home 4 nights if that was the case and only in the van 3.

He could also do all laundry, most of the weeks cooking etc at home and bring it with him for the week.

Using your parents house as a glorified PO box and laundry service might not go down too well with her parents.

Besides if you're gonna go down that road, why not just live with your parents?

fxotoole wrote: »

Besides if you're gonna go down that road, why not just live with your parents?

Her parents house could be 3 hours drive from the college.

I do however agree that if it is commutable from her parents to college then that's bar far the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Her parents house could be 3 hours drive from the college.

I do however agree that if it is commutable from her parents to college then that's bar far the best option.

Almost sounds like she would be better off renting a room in a flatshare and showering an doing her washing whenever she felt like it...

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Almost sounds like she would be better off renting a room in a flatshare and showering an doing her washing whenever she felt like it...

Very good ........... throw in a few subway lunches and some snack boxes and SORTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Op I think it's an amazing idea if planned for properly....... it's definitely something myself and my partner have considered. He has a small plot of land, too small to build a house on so we are seriously thinking of getting a van and renovating it for us and the family (2 kids and 1 on the way)
    We need a van as opposed to a mobile home because we need to be able to move it every 28 days to get around planning issues

• Registered Users Posts: 33,969 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shadylou wrote: »
    Op I think it's an amazing idea if planned for properly....... it's definitely something myself and my partner have considered. He has a small plot of land, too small to build a house on so we are seriously thinking of getting a van and renovating it for us and the family (2 kids and 1 on the way)
    We need a van as opposed to a mobile home because we need to be able to move it every 28 days to get around planning issues

Can tell if serious...

You cannot fit five people in a van. That is ludicrous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Shadylou wrote: »

A van, for two adults and three kids?

I'm going to be frank, you're kids should be taken away from you if you actually go ahead with that “plan".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

listermint wrote: »
    Can tell if serious...

You cannot fit five people in a van. That is ludicrous

How do you know?.....we have researched it very carefully, my partner us a carpenter and can do s lot of the renovations.
    We are looking a vans that we can fit 2 bedrooms, a kitchen/diner and sitting room
    It can be done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement