Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Week 1 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wonder are the Rams an outside shout to reach the playoffs. Wade Phillips history when he joins a team has very good precedent for it, so stranger things have happened.

All it would take, really, would be for Goff to become an average starter. Although not too sure what their OL situation is like this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Seahawks o-line is worse than last year, didn't think that was possible. Getting man-shamed all across the line.

Packers getting some help from officials so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brisset off to some start for the Colts, thrown in and he lets it loose down the field for a 50 yard completion the five for his first pass. They have since got in for the td, their first of the day.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brisset off to some start for the Colts, thrown in and he lets it loose down the field for a 50 yard completion the five for his first pass. They have since got in for the td, their first of the day.

Impressive from him, even if it is essentially garbage time.

Vinatieri is having a stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Seattle pass rush and special teams are keeping them in this. Offence is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nice image of the two Bennetts there when Michael went down.

Really, really happy with the defense and the cornerbacks for GB today which was a major question mark - very unhappy with the offense, even if it is Seattle with a platoon of rookie RBs and Bulaga out. Might well be a good idea to look for an experienced versatile journeyman on the OL for depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That could well be that.

Those free shots from Rodgers to Nelson might just be my favourite thing in my entire time watching the sport. :D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That could well be that.

One converted TD is all it would take to level, and as good as our defense has been (coupled with how poor Seattle's offense has been) I've been following this team long enough to know even a 24 point lead coming into the fourth quarter means as good as nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Knex. wrote: »
    Wonder are the Rams an outside shout to reach the playoffs. Wade Phillips history when he joins a team has very good precedent for it, so stranger things have happened.

All it would take, really, would be for Goff to become an average starter. Although not too sure what their OL situation is like this year.

They are better, their defense is still good, and Goff is showing more composure. He has some useful weapons now in Austin, Cupp and Watkins.

But as a Colt's fan, I will admit, you take Luck out of our team you have a bottom 5 roster in terms of talent. This day has been coming for the Colts for a long time unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Huge play from Clinton-Dix to prevent the TD on second down there, stopped GB's defense doing what it does best in the fourth quarter.

I fear if we don't score here they'll march down and get the TD even if there's just 1-2 mins left, seen it happen way too often.
    letowski wrote: »
    But as a Colt's fan, I will admit, you take Luck out of our team you have a bottom 5 roster in terms of talent. This day has been coming for the Colts for a long time unfortunately.
    It happened last year too when Luck was out vs the Steelers. Think the line was something like -15 points, still took it and won on it. I don't intend that as a brag, it's just how bad that team is without Luck (how they stayed with Tolzien is beyond me, he was in GB briefly too and just isn't an NFL QB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

letowski wrote: »
    They are better, their defense is still good, and Goff is showing more composure. He has some useful weapons now in Austin, Cupp and Watkins.

I think they're bottom of the barrel without him. Maybe the Jets have less... maybe... Rest Luck for the season. tank and trade the no.1 pick for all the picks. Trust the process.

You know what? Delighted to see Bennett take that penalty for roughness, Wright went for a cheap shot and we've been lacking that 'take no sh*t' attitude which has led to teams like the 49ers a few years back or Seattle physically beating the crap out of us and bullying us. About damn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Great win for the Packers.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You know what? Delighted to see Bennett take that penalty for roughness, Wright went for a cheap shot and we've been lacking that 'take no sh*t' attitude which has led to teams like the 49ers a few years back or Seattle physically beating the crap out of us and bullying us. About damn time.

Yeah, I thought he was justified doing it as well tbh. Would happily see a Giants player react the same way.

Yeah, I thought he was justified doing it as well tbh. Would happily see a Giants player react the same way.
    I can't find it right now but saw an interview with him a few weeks back where he was talking about how he never really fit in in Chicago because he felt his teammates were happy to come in and pick up the pay check, and didn't want to fight to win, think he actually called them a bunch of pussies in it. He showed in NE that he's a good guy on the right team both on the field and off, delighted to have that attitude on the roster. GB are easily in my opinion the smoothest, most crisp, well drilled and technically talented team... but we occasionally fall into 'Arsenal syndrome' in terms of being beat up on, this guy is 1,000% what we need. Also helps that he's a Pro Bowl calibre player in his own right!

Anyway, ODB is out tonight. A little tempted to take the Cowboys at -5.5 but I think I'll just head off to the leaba. Wishing your boys luck tonight though and for what it's worth by standard bet in NFC East matches is a combo of over on the points and the underdog to cover. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This Giants defence will be fecked by HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What a brutal interference call on Jenkins there.. What a joke

The Giants have had 2 First Downs in 29 mins.. Eli looks half asleep.. He's gone to Marshall only twice.. This is painful to watch.. The defence is been hopped off and they looked exhausted and it's only HT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

This Giants defence will be fecked by HT

They can't get off the field, their offense is giving them absolutely nothing, Manning needs to get going, otherwise this one is done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Allen Robinson is done for the season, confirmed by the Jags. Torn ACL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Phil Simms sounds a lot different than he did last year.What the hell happened to his voice in the last 8 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

46-9 to the Rams?! Were the Colts THAT bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

46-9 to the Rams?! Were the Colts THAT bad?

Mostly yes, but the Rams looked a whole different beast. Was switching between the three late games, but they looked explosive, dynamic, assured and basically everything they were not under Fisher. Goff looked like one of the most hopeless QBs I've ever seen last year, the second coming of Jimmy Clausen almost, but last night he looked a whole new person and granted it was the Colts, but with the run game doing nothing for him he still had over 300 yards, 10ypa and 75% completion. The move to get Roberts Woods and Sammy Watkins was a great stroke too, the Rams have been so poor at WR for so long and seem to struggle drafting there, but now have two legit, proven guys used to playing together in Buffalo and with well complimented skillsets - they might as well be old rookies too at 24 (Watkins) and 25 (Woods) years of age meaning cap issues notwithstanding if they work out the Rams are sorted at WR for the guts of a decade. Cooper Kupp also looks to have done well with 4 catches for 76 yards and a TD, not bad for a third round rookie in week one - rookie TE Gerald Everett taken early in the second also had a 39yd catch. This is a really, really young and promising unit and McVay looks like he knows what he's up to. Goff might now play every game like that, but then again Gurley in the backfield is due to have a good number of better games than he did too. A few old heads on the OL that will need phasing out, but in the skill positions 26y/o Tavon Austin who might not even be too important to them anymore is the elder statesman of the whole bunch!

Rams defense has for a few years been flat out nasty but the stat line doesn't always show it because of Fisher's ineptness leading to them spending huge amounts of time of the field and wearing down by the fourth quarter and over the course of a season.

But yeah, the Colts are fecking horrible. Take out Luck and they're one of the very worst teams on paper, but also might well be the worst coached and just don't seem to play with any passion or care whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Goff looked really good last night. He seemed so much more collected than previously. That said, the Colts' pass rush was fairly non-existent. Perfect game to start off with.

Side note, but Tony Romo was excellent in the commentator booth. He was even predicting plays! Very easy to listen to and his enthusiasm and knowledge for the game shines through very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Good to have football back, but yesterday was a very underwhelming set of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Good to have football back, but yesterday was a very underwhelming set of games.

Agree on that the games were not great to watch. With the exception of the Falcons/Bear and Pittsburgh/Cleveland games which were exciting if not a good watch.

The games that should have been good Kansas/Patriots, Dallas/Giants, Seahawks/Greenbay and Philly/Redskins were all pretty poor and to a large degree one sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Agree on that the games were not great to watch. With the exception of the Falcons/Bear and Pittsburgh/Cleveland games which were exciting if not a good watch.

The games that should have been good Kansas/Patriots, Dallas/Giants, Seahawks/Greenbay and Philly/Redskins were all pretty poor and to a large degree one sided.

Ravens/Bengals was fantastic to watch! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Side note, but Tony Romo was excellent in the commentator booth. He was even predicting plays! Very easy to listen to and his enthusiasm and knowledge for the game shines through very well.

Here's a vid of some of his best ones. I didn't watch the game so there are probably ones he got wrong too but this was good to watch nonetheless

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/11/video-tony-romo-says-what-plays-are-about-to-happen-then-they-do/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Fairly putrid showing from New Orleans on both sides of the ball. As an easy a victory as Minnesota will have all year. They've been very, very efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Adrian Peterson pissing and moaning in the sideline all night to get in the game, did the square root of fcuk all any time he was out on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The real question tonight, can rex Ryan hold back from swearing on camera? The smart money says no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Fairly putrid showing from New Orleans on both sides of the ball. As an easy a victory as Minnesota will have all year. They've been very, very efficient.

Watch them beat the Pats next week :pac:

On another note the whitecap calling LA by San Diego was funny. Going to be a while before folk get used to calling them LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Sergio Dipp and his cringeworthy sideline report. Not sure if its because English isnt his first language or he is just awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chargers kicker blows it at the end of the game.

Chargers gonna... Charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

eagle eye wrote: »
    Chargers kicker blows it at the end of the game.

Can you blame him though? The line of front of him couldn't block.

Very pleased with the offensive performance last night. Line gave good protection, Bradford sliced through the Saints. I know it was New Orleans but I am very encouraged. Vikings D is very good, so if they can get average play on offence, they're going to contend.

New Orleans did look poor, though.

The Broncos didn't look bad, either. I backed them for the AFC West, but I was concerned about the running game. Early days, but good signs so far...

Interesting to see Bradford continue to keep it up - he's not dynamic or someone I'd want to come back from two down but he's quietly and efficiently moving the ball very well for them and the Vikings defense is absolutely stupendous, love watching Rhodes, Barr and especially Harrison Smith play. I reckon NFC North might be the most likely division in the league to wind up with two playoff teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

10-5 for week 1. Not too bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Interesting to see Bradford continue to keep it up - he's not dynamic or someone I'd want to come back from two down but he's quietly and efficiently moving the ball very well for them and the Vikings defense is absolutely stupendous, love watching Rhodes, Barr and especially Harrison Smith play. I reckon NFC North might be the most likely division in the league to wind up with two playoff teams.

Been great fun watching the NFC North teams in the last few years. Two of the leagues best QBs, one of the best defences and match winners all over.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Been great fun watching the NFC North teams in the last few years. Two of the leagues best QBs, one of the best defences and match winners all over.

Three of the best QB's.....I think Stafford is legit.

D9Male wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »

Three of the best QB's.....I think Stafford is legit.
    I'm guessing the second was Stafford, Bradford was seen as a desperate reach (myself included) when the vikings traded for him. I wouldn't put him at all as one of the best, but he is very solid.

Not too sure I would Stafford either, he's very good and if he continues on from last year then yeah it's a very fair argument, but until then he was too erratic. Much like cutler and Andrew luck though, tonnes of fun to watch since he's likely to go over 300 yards in any given game, and on any play he can launch a 50yd bomb right in his receivers' hands or (last year notwithstanding) throw a horrendous pick right to the opposition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No other QB in that division is within an asses roar of Rodgers. Stafford is above average, maybe top 12 on his good days. Bradford is really captain checkdown. Won't win too many games for you, won't lose too many either. But Rodgers is on a completely different level to the other 2.

To be fair when people talk about the best qbs I think they usually mean a group of 8-12, with "best of the best" or whatnot being used to refer to the Rodgers' and Bradys of the league. And while the statement line doesn't fully show it, Stafford was pretty phenomenal with very little help last year (same reason I think Rodgers best season might be one of his most statistically unimpressive... 2012 if I recall).

We're back, boys :D

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

I genuinely think Jets have a decent chance to beat the Bills this weekend.

Edit: Changed to Cowboys winning as I think Odell won't play

Not great. 9-6.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm guessing the second was Stafford, Bradford was seen as a desperate reach (myself included) when the vikings traded for him. I wouldn't put him at all as one of the best, but he is very solid.

Not too sure I would Stafford either, he's very good and if he continues on from last year then yeah it's a very fair argument, but until then he was too erratic. Much like cutler and Andrew luck though, tonnes of fun to watch since he's likely to go over 300 yards in any given game, and on any play he can launch a 50yd bomb right in his receivers' hands or (last year notwithstanding) throw a horrendous pick right to the opposition.

Yeah I was saying Rodgers and Stafford. Bradford is a safe pair of hands in the Alex Smith mould in my opinion.

And I think the fact Stafford is such a match-winner brings him into the conversation. The best QB's, in my opinion, are those who have their off days and can still rally their team to win the game, which you could say about the likes of Rodgers, Brady et al and you have to put Stafford in that category as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

paulie21 wrote: »
    Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos
    7-8 well my week 1 consistency continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins
    Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers