Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induced labour

Options
  • 03-09-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm set to be induced tomorrow evening (8pm) at ten days over. I am fine with being induced although a natural birth would have been by far my preference but anyways that's not going to happen at this stage and my BP is treating on the high side.

My Dr did not carry out a sweep at my last appointment (2 days ago) as my cervix was unfavourable and he said there is no point. The babies head is not engaged either. If your cervix is non favourable does it lead to an induced labour lasting longer?

Can anyone recommend how to make my time in hospital a little more pleasant? I'm bringing in my own pillow as advised by the midwives. Can I use heat packs/hot water bottle? Are they even worth using?

I'm just imagining myself on the maternity ward alone in agony afraid to make a sound in the middle of the night because the mothers and babies are trying to sleep. I won't be moved to my own room on the labour ward until labour has advanced enough.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

I laboured overnight on my own in the ward last time round. It did make for a long and at times lonely night but the following helped - I brought my own pillows and asked for a birthing ball and actually spent a lot of the night on the ball leaning on to pillows on bed.
    I also loaded up my phone with gentle birth meditation tracks and podcasts which helped keep my mind calm until they took me to the labour room in the morning.

Hope everything goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

What hospital will you be in? In Holles St the pre labour ward is seperate to the wards with mams and babies. My experience was there was a bit of noise from different women at different stages of labour but in all fairness it was to be expected from a pre labour ward!!! Something like an iPad with a few bits to keep you entertained might be worthwhile but a lot will depend on how you feel / how quickly things move along. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The antenatal ward tends to be separate from where the ladies who have already had their babies are. I found going for a shower in the middle of the night helped me pass some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Birth ball, and lots of movies on an ipad or something similar (you could bring a wifi dongle if you wanted loaded up with credit so you could watch netflix even). Once contractions start or waters are broken try to keep as mobile as you can as that helps baby descend downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

The antenatal ward tends to be separate from where the ladies who have already had their babies are. I found going for a shower in the middle of the night helped me pass some time

I'm in wexford. I was admitted for high BP last week and I was on the ward with the new mums and babies and also with the women in to be induced.

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Also suggest a tens machine.Put it on early and it seems to be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've never been induced, but my first labour was very slow moving, and the early stages lasted ages. The early part was grand though. Just some period-pain like cramps. I just watched tv and sat around/bounced on my ball. mayve try a tens- the Physio's in wgh might have one, if you don't have one. And just have plenty books/movies etc to pass the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was induced at 38 weeks on my second. I slept a little bit after the first part... which was the gel? I think you get that twice. Then it's the drip. No sleeping there.

Earplugs and eyemask I suggest. It is much easier to labour when you have had even a few minutes sleep along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

EARPLUGS!!!
    Cannot stress how much you will need these if you plan to get any sleep in an early labour ward.

Very best of luck to you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Your cervix can change quickly, so you may even find that it is more favourable by this evening. Mine changed pretty quickly, and they were able to induce labour my breaking my waters. My labour was then pretty fast, and it started in the middle of the night in the antenatal ward. It's noisy in hospital wards, so bring ear plugs. And an eye mask too. I got no sleep at all, and after the baby arrived I still got very little sleep as I'm a light sleeper and it was so noisy.

Also, don't worry about making a bit of noise yourself. You'll be surrounded by women who are going through, or have gone though just recently, the same thing. They'll be very understanding. And you'll be quieter than all the crying babies, at any rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Thanks all for the advice. Turns out babies head was stuck on pubic bone because of how she was turned. After a tough 48 hours she is here and all the pains have long been forgotten. I found the gels worked well and I would have went earlier if her head was stuck about cervix.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

starface wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice. Turns out babies head was stuck on pubic bone because of how she was turned. After a tough 48 hours she is here and all the pains have long been forgotten. I found the gels worked well and I would have went earlier if her head was stuck about cervix.

Congrats starface x

Advertisement