Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2020 - Boards League Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just to gauge a bit of interest here, I saw on reddit yesterday that there's a league being run on a website called playtoenjoy.com and it's basically custom squads where you get an empty squad and a transfer budget and then the league runs like any league I suppose. There's salary caps too.

It would take the organising side out of it for me but also looks very interesting. Obviously if I was to do it, I wouldn't be competing in a boards league because they want you to play about 4 league games every 2 weeks and I wouldn't have time for both.

Let me know what ye think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Count me in for the next league as well. Don't mind what way it is run. I have no problems with last seasons format!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I would like to sign up for this league - it looks like jolly good fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’m in too

Same format as that main tournament last year is what I’d go for personally

Seeing as there's not much activity in here yet, I'm gonna start the sign up in this thread for the first league of PES 2019. I'll add the games that have already expressed an interest in the thread

PES 2019 Boards League Sign-up

1. Colemania
    2. Walter.White
    3. Bozo_Skeleton
    4. Cienciano
    5. SteelyDanJalapeno
    6. KennyG192
    7. Luckycharms_74
    8. Hercule Poirot
    9. callaway92
    10. Beastermc
    11. Exclamation Marc
    12. whavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You can throw me down for it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭whavin

Nice one, count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

I've never played online matches in my life but was considering it this year. Could someone give me a quick overview of what would be required to join in the boards league?

Also what is the general skill level of those participating? I expect I would be utterly rubbish as I struggle on professional difficulty offline. I don't mind taking regular thrashings but it would be nice to be able to score a goal every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've never played online matches in my life but was considering it this year. Could someone give me a quick overview of what would be required to join in the boards league?

Also what is the general skill level of those participating? I expect I would be utterly rubbish as I struggle on professional difficulty offline. I don't mind taking regular thrashings but it would be nice to be able to score a goal every now and then.
    All you need is a ps4 and pes2019. I'd recommend you download the playstation app on your phone, it's handy for messaging people. There'll be a group on the PSN message app so you'll know what's going on. We play (I think) 2 fixtures a week. So if you pick Liverpool, check the fixtures thread and see who you're playing. Between boards and the app you can message the group and say if when you're available. I'm usually available all week after 10pm. If you're never online and it's week 4 and you've only played 1 game and don't respond to any messages, you'll probably get kicked out of the league.
    Different levels in the league, few lads are amazing. I'm relegation material but I always have my trusty "it's the broadband lads" excuse ready, or "all 3 of my strikers were off form". Key is to get your excuse in before the game :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Cienciano wrote: »
    Key is to get your excuse in before the game :pac:

This is a key bit of advice. I have my excuse as well, as everyone knows at this stage. :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

:) I'll have to remember that tactic!

Ok, count me in then if there are no objections to me joining in? It might give me the incentive I need to improve my game if I'm regularly playing better players.

Wilberto wrote: »
    This is a key bit of advice. I have my excuse as well, as everyone knows at this stage. :pac: :pac:

Oh yeah, Wilberto pretends he plays with manual shooting and passing! I must use that one :pac:
    The wife is watching Netflix on her tablet is getting old.

Ok, count me in then if there are no objections to me joining in? It might give me the incentive I need to improve my game if I'm regularly playing better players.

Playing online is great, you come up against all sorts of weird tactics. The league we do is good, we all use different teams, so if you want Liverpool and someone seeded ahead of you picks them, you need to pick someone else.

PES 2019 Boards League Sign-up

1. Colemania
    2. Walter.White
    3. Bozo_Skeleton
    4. Cienciano
    5. SteelyDanJalapeno
    6. KennyG192
    7. Luckycharms_74
    8. Hercule Poirot
    9. callaway92
    10. Beastermc
    11. Exclamation Marc
    12. whavin
    13. Det Somerset

Good to have you on board detective! League will probably start a week or so after release, depending when everyone has the game.

Thanks Cienciano for explaining everything! We'll set a max star rating for the team picks and the newbies and lower seeded players based on previous leagues will get first picks. The top players may have to pick lower star teams as a handicap but to be honest, it doesn't usually handicap them!

All will be explained in more detail in time. Any more questions just fire them into the thread

Playing online is great, you come up against all sorts of weird tactics. The league we do is good, we all use different teams, so if you want Liverpool and someone seeded ahead of you picks them, you need to pick someone else.

Cheers. I've been a very casual player on Fifa on and off for a few years. I'd usually pick up the previous years game second hand for a few euro when everyone had moved on to the newest iteration, and then spend a few weeks grinding through some of the single player offline modes, but I gave PES 2018 a try last xmas and it was actually great fun to play in comparison so I'm in on day one for 2019. My goal is to try and practice and improve to a higher standard this time around.

Are there any rules for online playing, either generally or as part of the boards league I should be aware of? i.e. anything that is technically possible to do but frowned upon if done in an online game?

Cheers. I've been a very casual player on Fifa on and off for a few years. I'd usually pick up the previous years game second hand for a few euro when everyone had moved on to the newest iteration, and then spend a few weeks grinding through some of the single player offline modes, but I gave PES 2018 a try last xmas and it was actually great fun to play in comparison so I'm in on day one for 2019. My goal is to try and practice and improve to a higher standard this time around.

Are there any rules for online playing, either generally or as part of the boards league I should be aware of? i.e. anything that is technically possible to do but frowned upon if done in an online game?

Hacking down last man or passing around the back when holding a lead is frowned upon but while it's been done now and again, nobody has been banned for it. Other than that, nothing really

Yeah, that passing around the back is the one thing that annoys me. Reset the playstation annoyed! I left another online league after a few players did it.

Colemania wrote: »
    Hacking down last man

I could easily see myself doing that … not because I'm a cynical player, but because I don't know how to tackle properly! :P

Yeah, that passing around the back is the one thing that annoys me. Reset the playstation annoyed! I left another online league after a few players did it.

You joined another league??? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

I was in that playtoenjoy league a couple of years ago. It was frowned upon if you won by too much. Like, really frowned upon. I'd rather just play a few games where you don't have to worry about upsetting someone's feelings. Best player wins and that's it. It was fairly strange so I left it.

I wouldn't go too hard on players fouling lads. You have to try and tackle. A league where lads are concerned about tackling because they might upset someone wouldn't be great.

Having said that, it's none of my business as I'm going to sit out this season and might return for the following one if it continues.

Koolhanger wrote: »
    I was in that playtoenjoy league a couple of years ago. It was frowned upon if you won by too much. Like, really frowned upon. I'd rather just play a few games where you don't have to worry about upsetting someone's feelings. Best player wins and that's it. It was fairly strange so I left it.

I wouldn't go too hard on players fouling lads. You have to try and tackle. A league where lads are concerned about tackling because they might upset someone wouldn't be great.

Having said that, it's none of my business as I'm going to sit out this season and might return for the following one if it continues.

You'll be missed! Good contributor to the thread.

In terms of fouling, I know what you're saying but there's trying to win the ball and there's all out hacking with no chance of winning the ball. It's crap but it does happen and hard to police

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You'll be missed! Good contributor to the thread.

In terms of fouling, I know what you're saying but there's trying to win the ball and there's all out hacking with no chance of winning the ball. It's crap but it does happen and hard to police

To be fair though if an Aguero type player is through on goal from twenty yards out then he's not getting any where near the penalty area if my defenders have anything to say about it :pac:

It might not be the most gentlemanly of things to do but it's a very common occurrence in the modern game

I totally agree about the passing round the back to hold onto a lead though - obviously there's occasions when a player has no choice to do it to try and get out of trouble but I think we all know when the opponent is taking the p1ss and when they're not.

You joined another league??? :eek:

Yeah, felt wrong. Actually, did a reddit league and got drawn against a guy from Ireland, he was unreal. Best person I played against by a long way. Hopefully he doesn't appear on boards and join our league

FYI my excuse is that I don't have a square button on my controller (ahem) so please find another excuse if you're thinking of that one.

FYI my excuse is that I don't have a square button on my controller (ahem) so please find another excuse if you're thinking of that one.

My excuse is that I use triangle to sprint still..... :pac:

My excuse is that I use triangle to sprint still..... :pac:

Hahaha.

My next excuse is that I'm still using ISS controls from the SNES so I ignore most buttons. :pac:

Hahaha.

My next excuse is that I'm still using ISS controls from the SNES so I ignore most buttons. :pac:

It's ok. Damok21 (a.k.a Walter.White) still uses directional buttons instead of analog, which I think he has also admitted on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Koolhanger wrote: »

Hopefully see you in the next league ! We had some great matches ! If you ever want a game of co op, just send me a message

• Advertisement

I remember playing Koolhanger (I think), and he scored. My excuse was my thumb slipped off the analogue stick at the critical moment!

Advertisement